• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which 4 heads would you put on a cricketing Mount Rushmore?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mt. Rushmore was sculpted on stolen Indian lands.

Teddy Roosevelt was a good friend of the sculptor, Gutzon Borglum.

That's the only reason he's there...lol

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
England
Grace , Hobbs , Barnes , Botham
Unlucky - Ranji , Hammond , Hutton

Australia
Bradman , Lillee , Warne , Miller
Unlucky - McGrath , Trumper

South Africa
Procter , G.Pollock , Richards , Kallis
Unlucky - Steyn , Rice

West Indies
Sobers , Viv , Lara , Marshall
Unlucky - headley

India
Sachin , Gavaskar , Kapil , Dhoni
Unlucky - kohli

Pakistan
Imran , Akram , Waqar , Miandad
Unlucky - Hanif

Sri Lanka
Murali , Sanga , De Silva , Jayasurya

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lankas is real easy isn't it lol. Possibly Vaas unlucky due to being insanely far ahead of their next best paceman

Zimbabwe

Houghton, Andy Flower, Grant Flower, Streak

Bangladesh

Bashar, Tamim, Shakib, Mushy

Afghanistan

Nabi, Afghan/Stanzaki, Rashid, Shahzad

Ireland

Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Joyce, Stirling

Kenya

Tikolo, Odumbe, Otenio, Odoyo

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh:

Rafique, Mortaza, Shakib, Tamim

Windies:
Sir Frank Worrell, Sir Garry Sobers, Rohan Bholalall Kanhai, Malcolm Marshall

a massive zebra

International Captain
England
Grace , Hobbs , Barnes , Botham
Unlucky - Ranji , Hammond , Hutton

Australia
Bradman , Lillee , Warne , Miller
Unlucky - McGrath , Trumper

South Africa
Procter , G.Pollock , Richards , Kallis
Unlucky - Steyn , Rice

West Indies
Sobers , Viv , Lara , Marshall
Unlucky - headley

India
Sachin , Gavaskar , Kapil , Dhoni
Unlucky - kohli

Pakistan
Imran , Akram , Waqar , Miandad
Unlucky - Hanif

Sri Lanka
Murali , Sanga , De Silva , Jayasurya
I think it is ridiculous to pick two guys with a combined total of 11 Tests over someone who was the undisputed number one fast bowler in the world for many years and has the best strike rate of any bowler with over 200 wickets. Of course Procter and Richards had the talent, but they simply did not get the chance to prove themselves at Test level and should not be in contention here. If we go by first class stats, George Hirst, Tich Freeman, Bob Appleyard, Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash should be seriously considered for England, which of course is absurd.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sri Lankas is real easy isn't it lol. Possibly Vaas unlucky due to being insanely far ahead of their next best paceman
If it was Tests only, I think I might pick Mahela over Jayasuriya. Obviously Jayasuriya was leagues ahead in ODIs and that gives him the edge as an overall cricketer.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Zimbabwe

Houghton, Andy Flower, Grant Flower, Streak

Bangladesh

Bashar, Tamim, Shakib, Mushy

Afghanistan

Nabi, Afghan/Stanzaki, Rashid, Shahzad

Ireland

Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Joyce, Stirling

Kenya

Steve Tikolo, Maurice Odumbe, Kennedy Otieno, Odoyo
Had to make those adjustments cause there legit are two Tikolos, two Odumbes, and a **** load of Otienos in Kenyan Cricket

mr_mister

I thought his brothers were Obuyas and Oteino was unique to him. Collins Obuya unlucky to not get his mug on the Kenyan mountain tbh

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I think it is ridiculous to pick two guys with a combined total of 11 Tests over someone who was the undisputed number one fast bowler in the world for many years and has the best strike rate of any bowler with over 200 wickets. Of course Procter and Richards had the talent, but they simply did not get the chance to prove themselves at Test level and should not be in contention here. If we go by first class stats, George Hirst, Tich Freeman, Bob Appleyard, Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash should be seriously considered for England, which of course is absurd.
If you include super tests Barry Richards played 9 tests between 8 yrs and averaged 75 .
Available evidences suggests he is an ATG.

Mike procter
Tests 7
25 with bat , 15 with ball

Row Vs England
5 matches
48.7 with bat , 23.9 with ball

Super Tests
4 matches
30.3 with bat 16 with ball

16 matches .. more than a decade .. Procter clearly among greatest of the allrounders.

stephen

Bradman, Sobers, Grace, Imran.
This for the World Mt Rushmore.

Each country has its own:

Aus:

Trumper
Bradman
Benaud
Warne

Eng:

Grace
Jardine
Hobbs
Anderson

SA:

Nourse
G Pollock
Kallis
Steyn

Ind:

Mankad
Kapil
Tendulkar
Kohli

Pak:

Younis Khan
Imran
Wasim
Waqar

WI:

Headley
Sobers
Worrell
Marshall

SL:

Ranatunga
Murali
Sangakkara
Herath

NZ:

Hadlee
Crowe
Vettori
Williamson

stephen

Some reasoning behind my picks.

The "Mt Rushmore" is not about stats, but about influence. For Australia, Trumper, Bradman and Benaud pick themselves. The final spot was between Border and Warne. Warne pips him just because Border wouldn't want the limelight anyway and Warne is one of those guys who the universe seems to gravitate around. Warne's superstar factor wins it for him.

England get Grace, Jardine and Hobbs, who were instant picks. For the fourth pick I wanted someone who had played in modern times. That really (IMO) made the choice between Anderson and Botham. Botham probably should have got the nod, but Anderson now has the world record for number of wickets from a non-spin bowler. He's the quintessential English bowler and honestly has been responsible for more English wins than any other bowler. I could easily accept someone picking Botham over him though.

South Africa was relatively straight forward. Nourse was their best player for most of their early history. G Pollock was the face of what could have been were it not for apartheid. Kallis was one of the two greatest batting all rounders of all time. The best South African batsman by far for a very long time and a bowler who would make it as a third seamer in most sides around the world. Steyn picks himself.

India was easy too. Mankad is the only player in the game's history to have something named after him. He's also an early Indian superstar with the bat as well. Kapil or Gavaskar was the next choice and Kapil wins out on account of him being the reason India did so well in the 1983 WC, which kicked off India's love affair with the sport. Tendulkar was Tendulkar and can't be left off. Kohli is the new Tendulkar.

Pakistan was harder. Imran, Wasim and Waqar pick themselves. I was torn between Miandad, Misbah and Younis for the final spot. I went with Younis more for the weight of runs and the fact that I didn't want all 4 players to have overlapping records. Misbah was very unlucky given his services to the sport.

The West Indies was the hardest of all. Headley was easy. The "black Bradman", he was the most notable early pioneer of West Indian cricket. Sobers picks himself. Worrell simply has to be there. So that leaves one spot for Marshall and Richards. In the end I didn't feel right about a West Indian Rushmore without a fast bowler on it. So Marshall just pips Richards for the final spot.

Sri Lanka was easy. Murali and Herath are miles ahead of the rest of their bowlers and were by far the MVP in their side during their careers. Sangakkara was their best bat of all time. The final spot was therefore between Ranatunga and de Silva. But I decided that Rantunga gets it, in spite of how much I personally preferred de Silva as a player. Ranatunga was the bloke who stood up for Sri Lanka and gave them their two biggest coming of age moments - walking off when Murali was called for chucking and winning the 1996 WC. He was the leader that made Sri Lanka a cricketing nation.

New Zealand was straightforward. Their two best bowlers. Their two best batsmen. Fleming possibly a shade unlucky given his reputation, but he wasn't that influential really.