• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which 4 heads would you put on a cricketing Mount Rushmore?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
"The four presidents were chosen, respectively, to represent the birth, the growth, the development, and the preservation of the United States."

George Washington - Birth

W.G. Grace

Thomas Jefferson - Growth
Victor Trumper

Theodore Roosevelt - Development
Sir Donald Bradman

Abraham Lincoln - Preservation
Sir Frank Worrell (with C.L.R James sitting on his shoulder or something)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"The four presidents were chosen, respectively, to represent the birth, the growth, the development, and the preservation of the United States."

George Washington - Birth

W.G. Grace

Thomas Jefferson - Growth
Donald Bradman

Theodore Roosevelt - Development
Viv Richards

Abraham Lincoln - Preservation
Andre Russel
ftfy

AnthonyC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lighted heartedly, some alternatives

Christina Willis -for development of roundarm bowling
Edgar Willsher - for overarm bowling
Charles Bannerman - First test century and longest held record in cricket (highest % of runs in a completed innings)
Janet Clarke -for making the ashed urn up

andmark

International Captain
The underappreciated heroes: Simon Taufel (umpires), Jonty Rhodes (fielders), Alan Knott (WKs), Richie Benaud (commentators).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Some reasoning behind my picks.

The "Mt Rushmore" is not about stats, but about influence. For Australia, Trumper, Bradman and Benaud pick themselves. The final spot was between Border and Warne. Warne pips him just because Border wouldn't want the limelight anyway and Warne is one of those guys who the universe seems to gravitate around. Warne's superstar factor wins it for him.

England get Grace, Jardine and Hobbs, who were instant picks. For the fourth pick I wanted someone who had played in modern times. That really (IMO) made the choice between Anderson and Botham. Botham probably should have got the nod, but Anderson now has the world record for number of wickets from a non-spin bowler. He's the quintessential English bowler and honestly has been responsible for more English wins than any other bowler. I could easily accept someone picking Botham over him though.

South Africa was relatively straight forward. Nourse was their best player for most of their early history. G Pollock was the face of what could have been were it not for apartheid. Kallis was one of the two greatest batting all rounders of all time. The best South African batsman by far for a very long time and a bowler who would make it as a third seamer in most sides around the world. Steyn picks himself.

India was easy too. Mankad is the only player in the game's history to have something named after him. He's also an early Indian superstar with the bat as well. Kapil or Gavaskar was the next choice and Kapil wins out on account of him being the reason India did so well in the 1983 WC, which kicked off India's love affair with the sport. Tendulkar was Tendulkar and can't be left off. Kohli is the new Tendulkar.

Pakistan was harder. Imran, Wasim and Waqar pick themselves. I was torn between Miandad, Misbah and Younis for the final spot. I went with Younis more for the weight of runs and the fact that I didn't want all 4 players to have overlapping records. Misbah was very unlucky given his services to the sport.

The West Indies was the hardest of all. Headley was easy. The "black Bradman", he was the most notable early pioneer of West Indian cricket. Sobers picks himself. Worrell simply has to be there. So that leaves one spot for Marshall and Richards. In the end I didn't feel right about a West Indian Rushmore without a fast bowler on it. So Marshall just pips Richards for the final spot.

Sri Lanka was easy. Murali and Herath are miles ahead of the rest of their bowlers and were by far the MVP in their side during their careers. Sangakkara was their best bat of all time. The final spot was therefore between Ranatunga and de Silva. But I decided that Rantunga gets it, in spite of how much I personally preferred de Silva as a player. Ranatunga was the bloke who stood up for Sri Lanka and gave them their two biggest coming of age moments - walking off when Murali was called for chucking and winning the 1996 WC. He was the leader that made Sri Lanka a cricketing nation.

New Zealand was straightforward. Their two best bowlers. Their two best batsmen. Fleming possibly a shade unlucky given his reputation, but he wasn't that influential really
Not to be too pedantic, but I wouldn't choose Jardine whose negative and dangerous tactics were the antithesis of cricket at the time. Just your typical posh, domineering colonial British asshole of the era. Much better to include Botham or Hammond for numerous reasons IMO.

I'd choose Gavaskar over Mankad personally.

And not having Viv in the WI is sacrilege. Personified what was the ultimate era in their history.

Otherwise good stuff.

Logan

U19 Captain
For India:

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Kapil Dev
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Virat Kohli

Bradman , Marshall , Sobers , Murali
They are widely regarded as the greatest batsman, fast bowler, all rounder and spinner of all time.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Before I get into the 25 pages and differing opinions.

Two points before I get into it,
1. Test cricket
2. No one will agree.

But the 4 greatest phenomenons of cricket in my humble opinion.

1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. The Quartet
4. McWarne

If we insist on individuals

Bradman
Sobers
Marshall
Imran

Not placing 4 batsmen when bowlers win games. I know some will also say influence and history, but I do with the greatest players and influential winners.
NBA mount Rushmore is always about combination of the most talented guys who also were able to win, think my primary list covers that.

cnerd123

likes this
My views have changed and I feel there should be consideration given to people who also contributed to growing the sport off the field as well.

John Wisden and Rachel Heyhoe Flint probably deserve to be up there

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My views have changed and I feel there should be consideratiob given to people who also contributed to growing the sport off the field as well.

John Wisden and Rachel Heyhoe Flint probably deserve to be up there
Heyhoe