• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which 4 heads would you put on a cricketing Mount Rushmore?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As the WI go, I wouldn't mind any one of Worrell, Sobers, Marshall/Ambrose, Lara finding a spot. Lara exemplified everything beautiful about the art of cricket batting. I've been so happy just to see him in the IPL dugout this year. And I'd wager to say those Indians who watched both him and Sachin bat in their primes wouldn't mind Lara pipping their "God" to the post either.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For WI, I would go: Worrell, Sobers, Richards, Marshall
I can see an argument for that but it's very hard to leave out the first true star of West Indies Cricket. The guy who was so good he was dubbed the "black Bradman".

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, forgot about Headley. He has a damn strong case. One of him or Worrell would have to be out. Tough call.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Leaving out Worrell would be insanity. Simply the most influential for any one team/board post-War. He's a must, along with Sobers.

MrPrez

International Debutant
For SA I'd go:

Graeme Pollock
Jacques Kallis
Mike Proctor
Dale Steyn

Unlucky players include Barry Richards, Aubrey Faulkner, Dudley Nourse, Hugh Tayfield and AB de Villiers

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Mike Procter
16 tests , all against top oppositions
700 runs at 33.33
70 wickets at 17.14

This is like a batsman averaging 100 against strong opponents in 16 tests spanned over a decade.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sobers Bradman Grace + Barnes

Hadlee Imran Kapil Botham

Procter G.pollock B.Richards Rice

Trumper Hobbs Hutton Gavaskar

Truman Lillee Marshall Akram

O' Reilly Grimmet Warne Murali

Viv Sachin Akram Kapil

Procter Kapil Botham Miller

Worrell Border Crowe Dhoni

Bradman Rhodes Sobers Marshall

Bolo

State Captain
Feels like the most visible faces from recent times went pollock-donald-kallis-steyn.

Proctor is a bit of an odd man out here because pollock overlapped his career on both sides. Unless you are just going by quality/weight of contributions, in which case he stays and I find room for S pollock as well.

Slifer

International Captain
Mike Procter
700 runs at 33.33
70 wickets at 17.14

This is like a batsman averaging 100 against strong opponents in 16 tests spanned over a decade.
Umm no. For obvious reasons, he missed out on the rigours of playing half of the test teams available for his time. And 16 tests simple arent enough.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Grace, Bradman, Sobers, Sachin

Just the four names that grab me the most when I think of cricket's history and identity, concentrating on perhaps the most glorious eras of cricket history too (beginning, 30s, 60s, 90s). Obviously several worthy names to choose between

For SL as a bit of fun: Aravinda (our first great batsman), Ranatunga (our greatest captain), Murali (our greatest player), Sangakarra (our greatest batsman)

Mahela unlucky - could argue he was more of a statesman and leader than Sanga, but certainly less prolific with the blade. Herath (incredible match-winning ability but obviously loses out to Murali), Jayasuria (revolutionised ODI top order batting) and even Chaminda Vaas (easily our greatest fast bowler) were others I considered. There are some pre-test guys that could probably make a good case but admittedly I know little of Sri Lanka's cricketing history before the 90s

bagapath

International Captain
Mike Procter
700 runs at 33.33
70 wickets at 17.14

only if this were true...

In the real world Procter's numbers are
7 tests 226 runs 41 wickets.