• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Imran Khan rank?

Where does Imran Khan rank all time as a test cricketer?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
But I thought selected peaks don't count on here. Botham is fastest man in history to 200 wickets and 2000 runs but only his last 30 tests as a fat useless bastard counts
If you select peaks Mushtaq Mohammed's one match peak against rampaging West indies side takes the cake.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Botham does get underrated on here. He was the perfect AR during his peak no doubt.
Not sure how much stock to put into it but my father has a theory that the massive extent of Botham's decline actually may have perversely helped his reputation with some people. He watched heaps of early career Botham and reckoned he was the jammiest cricketer of all time in that period - especially with the ball - and that even if he didn't decline in skill/fitness as he clearly did his record would have inevitably got much worse as the luck dried up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure how much stock to put into it but my father has a theory that the massive extent of Botham's decline actually may have perversely helped his reputation with some people. He watched heaps of early career Botham and reckoned he was the jammiest cricketer of all time in that period - especially with the ball - and that even if he didn't decline in skill/fitness as he clearly did his record would have inevitably got much worse as the luck dried up.
If you watch highlights of Botham taking wickets during his dream run he really doesn't seem like someone who should have 100w@18 in 19 Tests, so I find it interesting even if it's very much 'drunk Australian uncle' of him to say so.

Does Botham's dramatic decline that essentially has people think of him as two different players in their mind actually increase his reputation with those people more than if he'd maintained the standard and naturally stopped taking so many jammy wickets off long hops and miscued slogs?

shortpitched713

International Captain
If you watch highlights of Botham taking wickets during his dream run he really doesn't seem like someone who should have 100w@18 in 19 Tests, so I find it interesting even if it's very much 'drunk Australian uncle' of him to say so.

Does Botham's dramatic decline that essentially has people think of him as two different players in their mind actually increase his reputation with those people more than if he'd maintained the standard and naturally stopped taking so many jammy wickets off long hops and miscued slogs?
In between hit wicket and the normal caught outs playing a hard stroke (which every great bowler gets mind), he's taking wickets bowled/lbw/caught behind swinging the ball both ways, hurrying batsmen into tame dismissals with his bouncer, and generally being a menace of a bowler out there. And you see "jammy ****" whose luck was bound to run out. Mmkay.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

He looks like a proper @trundler in the video.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Haha I'm thinking his run up is deceiving in that respect. Goes for a jog but some of those deliveries were proper fast. A bit of a Craig White effect.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
Haha I'm thinking his run up is deceiving in that respect. Goes for a jog but some of those deliveries were proper fast. A bit of a Craig White effect.
Brearley's theory was that Botham's immense strength made his apparent long hops come onto the bat quicker than expected. He also intimidated the lower order more effectively than many faster bowlers.

Brearley had a lot of faith in Botham and overbowled him, leading to a first bout of back trouble in 1980. Then he recommended him for the captaincy.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

So Shardul Thakur is Botham lite? No wonder they started calling Shardul beefy too!

Last edited:

Chin Music

State 12th Man

My memory of Botham is that until '86 he was capable of bowling spells that really did look quite quick indeed, in between periods of him bowling not much quicker than Darren Stevens, no doubt due to him not exactly looking after himself away from the field.

However, what I certainly recall is him being recalled in '87 and basically being Darren Stevens paced until the end of his career. He had success in the ODI format still but was basically useless in tests as a bowler from that point.

shortpitched713

International Captain
In those clips he's more "skilled" rather than super quick, but he's quick enough that I don't think these are just fluky wickets, and he couldn't recreate this performance in somewhat different conditions.

Also find it weird that PEWS doesn't like Botham's bowling style, when it does look an awful lot like Hoggard's, in a way.

Ali TT

International Debutant

It was a dead rubber match, England had a 4-man attack and Botham bowled 89 overs across the two innings. I expect he was bowling within himself. Compare to his 5-1 at Egblaston from earlier in the series - although the start of his run up is similar, he accelerates and powers through his delivery stride sand bowls a yard faster than he is in those highlights at the Oval.

The interesting point is not how that bowler took so many wickets overall, but why the Aussies still succumbed to him when he wasn't trying as hard or, by 86/87, only half fit.

number11

State 12th Man
Looking at those extraordinary numbers from Hadlee, and remembering also what he did to Australia in particular in the 1980s, he seems curiously underrated when it comes to all the "Greatest Cricketer" lists which we often discuss in here.

In CMJ's 100 greatest cricketers, Hadlee came in at number 25. In David Gower's all time top 50 a few years later, Hadlee was number 24. When Sky Sports cricket statistician Benedict Bermange produced his all time top 100, Hadlee was ranked at number 21. Even more surprisingly, when the Telegraph's Scyld Berry ranked his 40 greatest cricketers of the last 40 years (which only spanned the period 1977-2017), Paddles still couldn't even make the top 20, coming in again at number 21.

I realise, of course, that most players would kill to be ranked this high, but for a player of Hadlee's incredible achievements it seems very much on the low side.
IIRC Telegraph had Viv and Imran and 1 and 2, right?
I'd agree with that.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
IIRC Telegraph had Viv and Imran and 1 and 2, right?
I'd agree with that.
Yep, that's right. Berry's top 10 was:

1. Viv Richards
2. Imran Khan
3. Shane Warne
4. Malcolm Marshall
5. Ian Botham
6. Sachin Tendulkar
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Jacques Kallis
9. Brian Lara
10. Wasim Akram