• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Imran Khan rank?

Where does Imran Khan rank all time as a test cricketer?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Definitely not Botham! I always thought Hadlee late 80's and looking it up he averaged 31.80 with the bat and 20.33 with the ball from 1985
Check Imran's averages around 80 to 88, you may be surprised.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Top 5 for sure.

As Imran is not in a lot of ATG XI's how can he be considered top 10 cricketer? He makes my 2nd ATG XI but he's not in top 10 best cricketers if he can't even make the best team
Because we pick XI’s based on specialties? If Gilchrist wasn’t an option would we all be picking XI’s without a wicketkeeper because the others aren’t top 10?

Qlder

International 12th Man
Check Imran's averages around 80 to 88, you may be surprised.
No need to look up. From memory Imran only improved his batting average when he wasn't bowling. He did very well but never a batting/bowling threat at same time like Botham

Qlder

International 12th Man
Top 5 for sure.

Because we pick XI’s based on specialties? If Gilchrist wasn’t an option would we all be picking XI’s without a wicketkeeper because the others aren’t top 10?
Well they do already. They pick Sangakarra as WK in ATG XI even though he was crap and barely kept in his career

subshakerz

International Coach
No need to look up. From memory Imran only improved his batting average when he wasn't bowling. He did very well but never a batting/bowling threat at same time like Botham
Averages 40 with the bat and 17 with the ball from 80 to 88. During that time of his bowling peak, he scored 4 of his 6 tons, including a matchsaving one against the WI quartet as well as good runs against Lillee in 84 and Hadlee in 88/89. He also scored a ton and 10 wicket in a game against India, and has two back to back man of the series in England where he took 20 plus wickets while averaging in the 40s with the bat.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was well aware and waiting for someone to respond with Imran's one test wonder 😀
Oh wow, set me up perfectly. I fell for the old post one of the greatest AR performances in response to a claim about Imran not performing with bat and ball together trick.

Qlder

International 12th Man
Averages 40 with the bat and 17 with the ball from 80 to 88. During that time of his bowling peak, he scored 4 of his 6 tons, including a matchsaving one against the WI quartet as well as good runs against Lillee in 84 and Hadlee in 88/89. He also scored a ton and 10 wicket in a game against India, and has two back to back man of the series in England where he took 20 plus wickets while averaging in the 40s with the bat.

But I thought selected peaks don't count on here. Botham is fastest man in history to 200 wickets and 2000 runs but only his last 30 tests as a fat useless bastard counts

Qlder

International 12th Man
Oh wow, set me up perfectly. I fell for the old post one of the greatest AR performances in response to a claim about Imran not performing with bat and ball together trick.
One test he did it does not make him a career double threat

subshakerz

International Coach
But I thought selected peaks don't count on here. Botham is fastest man in history to 200 wickets and 2000 runs but only his last 30 tests as a fat useless bastard counts
Nobody said that. Most cricketers take time to hit their peak. Sobers was poor first 30 tests or so of his career too.

Botham's career had three phases, 1/3 amazing, 1/3 mediocre and 1/3 useless. He gets rated down for that reason.

What is your response to Imran's peak?

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I remember as a kid (in the early to mid 80s) thinking Imran one of the very best bowlers at a time when there were numerous Windies quicks and the likes of Hadlee knocking about. His batting is underrated because it wasn't as exciting as the numerous fellow all-rounders of his era but he was way more competent in his second discipline than every other all-rounder was in theirs. For instance, even if we take Stokes of the last few years, I would still say that Imran was a better batter than Stokes was a bowler, no matter how much I admire Stokes and Stokes has been a good fourth seamer.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they do already. They pick Sangakarra as WK in ATG XI even though he was crap and barely kept in his career
He kept for over a third of his career and continued to be a competent (underselling him here) keeper through the rest of his ODI career. Stop being intentionally daft.

Qlder

International 12th Man
He kept for over a third of his career and continued to be a competent (underselling him here) keeper through the rest of his ODI career. Stop being intentionally daft.
How is selecting Sanga as WK in an ATG team acceptable when you just agreed he barely kept. Who cares if he kept in ODI's

You are the one being daft