• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When I Was Wrong!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After watching him debut I thought Sami will be our replacement for Waqar Younis.
Good call

He appeared to have absolutely everything required to be a huge success - high pace, nice action, outswing

Shame he couldnt work out how to dismiss anybody

social

Alec Stewart - totally manufactured cricketer who was no more talented than any numbers of young guys around at the time of his early fc career

Went on to have an excellent career, playing over 100 tests and, amongst other things, scored twin centuries against the Ambrose and Walsh in the Windies

Matt79

Global Moderator
Think I categorically stated about 12 months ago that Katich would never play another test for Australia.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought James Foster had a long and successful international career ahead of him, that Iain O'Brien would never be near Test class, that Scott Styris would never be anything more than a useful ODI bits & pieces player, that Andre Adams could be the new Gavin Larsen and that Michael Papps could be at least as successful in Tests as Mark Richardson.

Embarrassing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thought Cullen Bailey would have a cracking 2008 and emerge as the clear spin option for the Australia team post-Warne and MacGill.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thought Cullen Bailey would have a cracking 2008 and emerge as the clear spin option for the Australia team post-Warne and MacGill.
Well, I thought he'd at least retain his spot in the SA side and show good signs, so you can throw me in with that one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Stuart Clark, although I wasn't very vocal about it. I just thought he didn't look anything special and was flabbergasted when he tore South Africa a new a-hole on debut.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought James Foster had a long and successful international career ahead of him, that Iain O'Brien would never be near Test class, that Scott Styris would never be anything more than a useful ODI bits & pieces player, that Andre Adams could be the new Gavin Larsen and that Michael Papps could be at least as successful in Tests as Mark Richardson.

Embarrassing.
Papps and Foster aren't finished yet.

social

This thread has really jogged a memory

Scored some runs against Craig McDermott in Brisbane grade cricket after he'd been dropped from the Australian team in 1990

Thought that he'd be lucky to still be playing fc cricket at the end of the year

Came back to take another 200 plus test wickets at 25

Top_Cat

Love the thread, SO not big enough to contain the number of times I've been wrong about a cricketer so I guess I'll just pick some of the dumbest.

As far as the guys who got there despite my prgnostications to the contrary, pretty sure I tipped against Matt Hayden ever making the Test side after he was dropped in 1997 (boundary-reliant, over-rated by QLD'ers), I remember I tipped Glenn McGrath as being rubbish (just a length bowler who only had one delivery) and I'm hopeful I wasn't alone in thinking that after 1993, Andy Caddick was just a Hadlee-aping loser with big ears and no movement whatsoever. Anyone? Anyone?

As for as the guys who didn't get to where they should have by my reckoning, I maintain Matt Inness should have gotten a go ahead of Nathan Bracken, Mohammed Wasim was going to be better than Inzi (God he was smooth, though) and Jamie Siddons' spot in the Aussie side was assured, the only matter being one of time and Mark Waugh having a prolonged run of outs (once they didn't drop him after SL in 1992, knew it was never bloody going to happen.....).

pasag

RTDAS
Was wrong about Mahmood.

Didn't think Hayden should have been recalled in the 06/07 one-day series (tbf though, most didn't).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This thread has really jogged a memory

Scored some runs against Craig McDermott in Brisbane grade cricket after he'd been dropped from the Australian team in 1990

Thought that he'd be lucky to still be playing fc cricket at the end of the year

Came back to take another 200 plus test wickets at 25
26.5 TBH, and McDermott was never dropped in 1990 - he returned in 1990/91 (after being dropped in 1988/89) and only missed games with injuries thereafter.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
After the 1986/7 Ashes, I never thought I'd see Merv Hughes play against England again and I thought that, at best, Steve Waugh might be an allrounder to challenge Simon O'Donnell.

social

26.5 TBH, and McDermott was never dropped in 1990 - he returned in 1990/91 (after being dropped in 1988/89) and only missed games with injuries thereafter.
Pedant

I played him in 1990 after he had been dropped

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
After the 1986/7 Ashes, I never thought I'd see Merv Hughes play against England again and I thought that, at best, Steve Waugh might be an allrounder to challenge Simon O'Donnell.
Of those mentioned by David and social, I'd bet most if not all had their writers-off from: McDermott, Reid, Hughes, Boon, Stephen Waugh and maybe even Healy. All Australians who would turn-out excellent 1989 onwards but had been poor to woeful 1984/85-1988/89.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedant

I played him in 1990 after he had been dropped
O I C.

What you meant with preciseness, then, was "Scored some runs against Craig McDermott in Brisbane grade cricket in 1990 after he'd been dropped from the Australian team".

(And yes, I know I make the odd linguistic error which allows stuff to be misinterpreted too - people pick it up then as well :dry:)

Top_Cat

Actually, speaking of Reid, I do remember having a fleeting feeling after he took wickets against India in Melbourne that maybe, just maybe, his injury-prone days were over. Of course history shows that was just crazy talk.

social

Actually, speaking of Reid, I do remember having a fleeting feeling after he took wickets against India in Melbourne that maybe, just maybe, his injury-prone days were over. Of course history shows that was just crazy talk.
Now that guy could really have been a great bowler

Actually, when McGrath first appeared on the scene, I feared he might go the same way