• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Do You Cheer For The Enemy?

howardj

International Coach
Though it horrified my brother, I actually found myself cheering for the Poms in last night's match. Almost woke the neighbours when Jones took that catch!! Though I was born in Australia, and have lived here all my life, I just think it would have killed the series if Australia won last night. I cheer against Australia heaps. I always like to see a good contest, rather than an Australian victory. The only times I've really cheered for Australia were in the latter stages of the World Cup in 1999, and in the deciding Test match in India in 2001.

So, did anyone else, find themselves (god forbid) cheering for the Poms last night? Or, more broadly, have you ever been happy when your country has been defeated?

Last edited:

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Despite my friend's disgust, I have been cheering for the England team. It is quite possible I woke up my flatmates when Harmison took that last wicket. Go England, go!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, on many occasions. Freaks most people out. Was certainly cheering when England won last night too. It's one of those things; I may have a team I like to watch but if the match is a good one, no matter who wins, I'm happy.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't say as a NZer that I often get the opportunity to cheer for the other team...:laugh:

Sometimes when I want one team to win the series I do find myself cheering for the other, last night for example.

Blaze

Banned
_Ed_ said:
Can't say as a NZer that I often get the opportunity to cheer for the other team...:laugh:

Sometimes when I want one team to win the series I do find myself cheering for the other, last night for example.

Haha I know what you mean Ed. I cheer for certain players in the opposition on occasions but not the other team.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Though it horrified my brother, I actually found myself cheering for the Poms in last night's match. Almost woke the neighbours when Jones took that catch!! Though I was born in Australia, and have lived here all my life, I just think it would have killed the series if Australia won last night. I cheer against Australia heaps. I always like to see a good contest, rather than an Australian victory. The only times I've really cheered for Australia were in the latter stages of the World Cup in 1999, and in the deciding Test match in India in 2001.

So, did anyone else, find themselves (god forbid) cheering for the Poms last night? Or, more broadly, have you ever been happy when your country has been defeated?
blasphemer! :p
it was a good game, but every single part of me wanted australia to win that match. nothing would have made me happier than coming back from that position and completely knocking the poms out of the ashes

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sometimes. I certainly like a good contest more than an Australian thrashing, but last night I was cheering for Australia. Can't say I was gutted to lose like that though... it was one of the all time great test matches.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
_Ed_ said:

Same with England - and I'm not even born there!

Can't quite believe all those holy "fans of a good match" around here...I don't think I can recall ever switching allegiances during a sporting event. Oh well, each to their own.

archie mac

International Coach
As I have become older, it is more and more about the quality of the Cricket. But go for the poms? Not in this life time :@

social

howardj said:

Nope but cant say I was overly disappointed either.

Good for the game, good for the series, good for Aussies that Geraint will probably retain his spot on basis of "cant change a winning team."

Only dark spot was missing out on tabloids mugging of the Poms if they had somehow contrived to lose it.

Aaah well, got that to look forward to in a couple of weeks anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
social said:
Nope but cant say I was overly disappointed either.

Good for the game, good for the series, good for Aussies that Geraint will probably retain his spot on basis of "cant change a winning team."

Only dark spot was missing out on tabloids mugging of the Poms if they had somehow contrived to lose it.

Aaah well, got that to look forward to in a couple of weeks anyway.
Now that would have been a tad amusing. All the Sundays were full of the usual jingoistic clap-trap about us "wrapping it up" this morning. Even the usually sober Observer said there was more chance of an earthquake in Birmingham than an Oz victory! 8-)

To answer the title of the thread, except were England are involved I do the slightly w@nky English thing of rooting for the underdog. Have to say I would've liked to have seen The Banglas make us bat again in the 2nd test tho, they came sooo close. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its difficult to "cheer" for the enemy when you identify the opposition as such.

But there are occasions when one is so ****ed with one's team or some ridiclous selection policies which used to at times be blatantly partisan at one time, when one felt like "serves them right" :D even for one's own team. But thats not the same as cheering for the enemy.

Yes, if one is really engrossed 9in a great game and one has matured to a level when an opponent is not an enemy really and a game is a sporting contest and you take sides just to get some pleasure out of cheering up "your" side and not because your life depended on the result, I suppose one could feel good for the opposition even if one's own team lost.

I would classify Windies win last year to win a limited over championship after God knows how long with Browne and the tail taking them home in a stirring game of rear guard action as one such. I would have probably cheered them (well not exactly cheered) even if India was the opposition. That was such a game. There are others like that I suppose.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I almost always go for Australia. The only exception is against Bangladesh. Sometimes I find my favouritism change throughout a series not including my country but I rarely barrack against Australia. For the first couple of games of the NatWest Series I went for whoever played against Australia so that Bangladesh might possibly make the final but when I realised that wasn't going to happen I supported Australia over England

Try make sense of that

greg

International Debutant
We were quite content when the Aussies won a consolation test at the end of the 86/7 series. They looked so miserable... 8-)

Steulen

International Regular
Yesterday I discovered I'm an Australia fan :).

I always considered myself a neutral, but my allegiance came to me while sitting nailed to the seat in front of my computer yesterday morning. I was gutted when Kasprowicz gloved that ball and Jones actually took the catch.

I do sometimes switch allegiance, though. Last time I can remember was in the 2000 Soccer Euro Champs, Netherlands vs. Czech Republic. The Czechs were the better side by far, the score was 0-0, and then the Dutch got a penalty kick out of nothing. I so wanted them to miss it, because I was ****ed at their atrocious effort that match (and well, I was also ****ed as well, ifunowhammasayin). Nearly got lynched by the pub crowd for being too vocal about it as well :).

andyc

Steulen said:
Yesterday I discovered I'm an Australia fan :).

I always considered myself a neutral, but my allegiance came to me while sitting nailed to the seat in front of my computer yesterday morning. I was gutted when Kasprowicz gloved that ball and Jones actually took the catch.
good man!

King_Ponting

International Regular
I like cheering for the underdogs when they are in match winning positions..... ie bangladesh in the natwest series, the aussies were the underdogs last night so my support was 100 per cent behind them

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Bangla aside, I don't really support against England. They're a good bunch of lads and deserve all the success they've had. I do cheer on individuals against us though; Kumble and Sachin, Lara, Brett Lee (not yesterday though, I've never been more partisan). I love watching Kallis bat and am prepared to let him score 100's against us, I'm still awaiting a great knock from Gilly which I won't mind too much, I've enjoyed Langer this series, and Kasper seems to be a decent chap in the Reiffell mode (another chap I really liked) and don't mind him getting wickets.

But teams against us;no. Since I started following the game properly in '89, it's been such a drought, so moribund and so tragic, that a sniff of succes will have me hanging from the rafters. If we're world champions in five years time I'll probably have a different perspective, but for the moment I'm enjoying the success of John Bull and hope it continues.