• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's in an Average?

GGG

State Captain
Take any very good batsmans top 80 scores, get the average and there is a random chance that they could have played all 80 innings in a row, retired and be a Bradman. Then again random chance and statistics isn't my strong suit so I am probably speaking out of my ar$e.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Take any very good batsmans top 80 scores, get the average and there is a random chance that they could have played all 80 innings in a row, retired and be a Bradman. Then again random chance and statistics isn't my strong suit so I am probably speaking out of my ar$e.
Nah.

For getting a rough idea, the Statistically prudent way of doing an analysis is to randomly select 80 innings from the career of a batsman (say, Tendulkar) and calculate average. Then repete the same analysis many times (say 40000 times) and come up with a distribution of those 40000 averages for that batsman and see where in that distribution lies 99.94. If for Tendulkar, that is at 99.8%ile point of the distribution, that means we can say with roughly 99.8% confidence that Bradman > Tendulkar.

This will give a very rough idea as it ignores other things like quality of opposition, longevity etc.

watson

Banned
There are no absolute grammatical rules regarding the placement of the word 'however' in a sentence. However, despite the fact that I've just used 'however' at the beginning of the sentence it is generally accepted that it is best placed in the middle of sentence with commas either side.

GIMH > Sledger

Last edited: