• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What should be changed in Cricket?

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
I know everyone hates Duckworth-Lewis method in Cricket which I personally feel that it should be changed. What should be changed according to you in cricket?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For a start, what is wrong with DLS? I don't hate it, but think it to be far and away the fairest way of dealing with rain affected games.

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
Well the thing which South Africa faced in 1992 World Cup. Well some of the quotes from cricketers on DLS method:-

MS Dhoni - ''I don't think even ICC understands Duckworth Lewis."

Stephen Fleming - “There's a real anomaly in Duckworth-Lewis, it is rubbish for Twenty20.”

Shaun Pollock - "The first time I saw a Duckworth-Lewis sheet - well, to be honest, I can't remember. Duckworth and Lewis certainly aren't on my Christmas card list."

Dendarii

International Debutant
Well the thing which South Africa faced in 1992 World Cup. Well some of the quotes from cricketers on DLS method:-

MS Dhoni - ''I don't think even ICC understands Duckworth Lewis."

Stephen Fleming - “There's a real anomaly in Duckworth-Lewis, it is rubbish for Twenty20.”

Shaun Pollock - "The first time I saw a Duckworth-Lewis sheet - well, to be honest, I can't remember. Duckworth and Lewis certainly aren't on my Christmas card list."
It not working for T20s is a valid criticism, but that doesn't mean that it should be done away with for ODIs. And Pollock was one of the South African brains trust who didn't realise that they needed to beat the score on the sheet to win the match at the 2003 World Cup, so he's not going to have fond memories of it.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They need to stop these slow overrates: players faffing on with the ball, doing the old rub on the willy etc; twelfth men coming out with the drinks; another little faff with the ball; twelfth men depart; a little conversation between captain and bowler; another little conversation between bowler and another bowler, during which the ball is inspected like it is the Rosetta Stone, holding the key to some deep unexplained mystery; bowler (now at his marker) now proceeds to move his field around with his arms - and on and on it goes.

Edit

How radical am I allowed to be with, ''what should be changed in Cricket'' haha? Can I ban Twenty20?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to see all of these given a try, but not necessarily at the same time

a) Return to uncovered wickets
b) Removal of the restriction on fielders behind square on the leg side (but not to encourage a return to Bodyline)
c) Change the lbw law to allow the batsman to be dismissed if the ball pitches outside leg stump
d) Return to the back foot no ball law

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
* Even the playing field. Your position in the rankings table should automatically give you that amount of runs x 10, except for number 1. So 2nd team starts with 20 runs, 8th team 80 runs etc.
* More power for the bowlers. There needs to be more modes of dismissal. Not making contact with the ball for 6 consecutive deliveries should be awarded out. Will make the batsmen play and make the game more exciting.
* Double plays. Catching someone out and also running out their partner should see an immediate change in innings between sides. Unlimited swaps until everyone is out.
* Batsmen get to bring their owns bats - bowlers should be allowed to bring their own ball. Slazenger Super Swinger Six Stitcher, anyone?
* 4(?) Dimensional. Everyone should have rocket packs and the wicket floating in the middle of the stadium.
* No boundaries. Boundary walls are high and there's (barely visible) netting to allow spectator viewership but no sixes. Make the batsmen run, but brings into ability to run 7s and up.
* Bowlers to be allocated one chuck per 5 overs.
* Celebrity umpires.
* 11 wickets out - last batsmen plays on until gone.
* Batsmen who get out can take their place in the field to obstruct the bowling side.
* I feel rollerblades for everyone would give the game more zip and attract the kids as they're pretty cool tbh.
* Some kind of app that determines how the bowler will bowl and batsman will hit - crowdsourcing cricket play.
* 6 innings tests.

More to come as I think of it

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
-An increase in DN Tests
-ICC to bankroll a unified DRS system for all International games so we have the same system across the board
-Minimum 3 Tests in a series
-I think we are still using the 2 balls in ODI's now right? I'd like to go back to the 1 ball. Scrap this if we are indeed back to using 1 ball.
-Change LBW law regarding not out if pitching outside leg
-Change DRS rules so that when a decision is reviewed the outcome of the review is solely dependant on what the technology is telling us - aka umpires call is removed from the equation. To do this - agree on a margin of error - so the ball has to hit x% percentage to be out if not its not out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you have any idea how boring cricket will become if you can get out lbw when the ball pitches outside leg? Might be worth looking into where a batsman isn't playing a shot, but even then you'd just have stacked leg side fields and bowling a boring, dry line all day in the hope someone misses one.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Do you have any idea how boring cricket will become if you can get out lbw when the ball pitches outside leg? Might be worth looking into where a batsman isn't playing a shot, but even then you'd just have stacked leg side fields and bowling a boring, dry line all day in the hope someone misses one.
Yes "not playing a shot" could be a good compromise.

Out of curiosity..why was the law written in, in the first place?

the big bambino

International Captain
Well you've probably given the answer. It would encourage dull play. The only reason we have an lbw law is to encourage attacking play so extending the rule to balls pitching outside leg would be the contrary to only good reason we have an lbw law. Bill O'Reilly says there was another reason. If the English were giving up their advantage in pace bowling by limiting the number of leg side fielders behind square they wanted their quid pro quo by limiting the modification to existing lbw law to balls pitching outside off as a counter to Australia's leg spin attack of the time.

The change I'd like to see is taking away the boundary rope in favour of the fence.