• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

watson

Banned
If you're of a certain age the 1973 World Cup Qualifier at Wembley against Poland left a scar that will last a life time. That's why Shilton (and Roy MacFarland) should have been banished from the country for good.
Yeah it was pretty ordinary near post effort from Shilton. Mick Channon recalls the game.....

[video]http://www.videos-football.com/en/video-534815-the-infamous-match-vs-poland-in-1973-mick-channon-peter-shilton-on-the-1-1-draw-at-wembley.html[/video]

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway I've decided that Sunny just edges Clem as a Test Opener so modified my team accordingly.

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Alan Knott
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Mucker the chucker

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're of a certain age the 1973 World Cup Qualifier at Wembley against Poland left a scar that will last a life time. That's why Shilton (and Roy MacFarland) should have been banished from the country for good.
On that basis Jan Tomaszewski should be going in first with Hobbs

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah 125 caps, 1 **** up..........banish him from the land.
Still blame him for the Maradonna goal, yeah he punched it, but dirgo was 5.2. Oh and it would be nice if he could save a penalty, like once. clemence was always better IMHO.

Still he'll always be remembered by me for saying "I didn't have a save to make" when Exeter beat Argyle 2-0, and had two perfectly legitimate goals ruled out. Still doing the double over Argyle is a common occurrence nowadays.

*oh **** off I know it's off-topic but I couldn't resist when I saw Lilians name

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Still blame him for the Maradonna goal, yeah he punched it, but dirgo was 5.2. Oh and it would be nice if he could save a penalty, like once. clemence was always better IMHO.

Still he'll always be remembered by me for saying "I didn't have a save to make" when Exeter beat Argyle 2-0, and had two perfectly legitimate goals ruled out. Still doing the double over Argyle is a common occurrence nowadays.

*oh **** off I know it's off-topic but I couldn't resist when I saw Lilians name
I don't blame Shilton for the Maradona goal as he based his attempt to clear on the height the little twerp could have legitimately reached with his head.
I agree that his penalty technique was a bit dubious. Whereas the likes of David James and Joe Hart either turn their backs or fall over the wrong way, Shilton would wait until the ball was past him and then dive the right way.

Don't blame you either for the desperate Argyle digs now that we're once again established as Devon's Number 1 team with the other two in danger of dropping off the coupon.

subshakerz

International Coach
I thought Richie Benaud came close to the perfect XI, representative of all eras but each positioned justified in selection. His other shortlists were pretty bizarre though (no WI fast bowler or English keeper) My eleven only has one difference:

Sunil Gavaskar: Perfect technique for an opener, great success during a peak era of fast bowling
Jack Hobbs: Great run accumulator, England's greatest batter, terrific record and tremendous longevity
Don Bradman: Best bat of any era
Viv Richards: Top batsman of the 70s/80s, edging out Greg Chappell
Sachin Tendulkar: Top batsmen of the 90s/2000s, edging out Lara
Garry Sobers: Top batsmen of the 50/60s, best all-rounder ever, great variety as a fifth bowling option with left-arm pace and spin
Adam Gilchrist: The only one to combine high-class keeping with world class batting
Imran Khan: Best ever bowling all-rounder, all-time great bowler and master of reverse swing, solid bat with experience batting with the tail, natural choice for captain. Too valuable a player to leave out IMO and adds balance to the side
Malcolm Marshall: Best all-round fast bowler in terms of record and skills
Shane Warne: Best leggie ever, edges out Murali due to useful batting skills
Sydney Barnes: Renowned as the best bowler of his time, unbelievable record, and anyone who can consistently bowl a fast medium delivery pitching leg and hitting off will take wickets in any era, which I why I selected him

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Richie Benaud came close to the perfect XI, representative of all eras but each positioned justified in selection. His other shortlists were pretty bizarre though (no WI fast bowler or English keeper) My eleven only has one difference:

Sunil Gavaskar: Perfect technique for an opener, great success during a peak era of fast bowling
Jack Hobbs: Great run accumulator, England's greatest batter, terrific record and tremendous longevity
Don Bradman: Best bat of any era
Viv Richards: Top batsman of the 70s/80s, edging out Greg Chappell
Sachin Tendulkar: Top batsmen of the 90s/2000s, edging out Lara
Garry Sobers: Top batsmen of the 50/60s, best all-rounder ever, great variety as a fifth bowling option with left-arm pace and spin
Adam Gilchrist: The only one to combine high-class keeping with world class batting
Imran Khan: Best ever bowling all-rounder, all-time great bowler and master of reverse swing, solid bat with experience batting with the tail, natural choice for captain. Too valuable a player to leave out IMO and adds balance to the side
Malcolm Marshall: Best all-round fast bowler in terms of record and skills
Shane Warne: Best leggie ever, edges out Murali due to useful batting skills
Sydney Barnes: Renowned as the best bowler of his time, unbelievable record, and anyone who can consistently bowl a fast medium delivery pitching leg and hitting off will take wickets in any era, which I why I selected him
1st XI I have ever agreed with. If I were making my own XI I would probably try to find a home for W.G.