• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most popular format of cricket in each country (Test, ODI or T20)?

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
TO BE CLEAR

By popular i mean, a combination of TV viewership and actual attendance. Im referring to actual fans, somebody who would have some, even if, limited knowledge about the game and current or ex-players. Im not including people who might watch CWC final every few years.

Also great replies, thanks all

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
by popular i mean, a combination of TV viewership and actual attendance. Im referring to actual fans, who would have some, even if, limited knowledge about the game and current or ex-players. Im not including people who might watch CWC final every few years.
Yeah you're still not clearing this up at all here. These two definitions do not match up at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Similarly in India (1983), and Australia (1987), and Pakistan (1992) ...
Dunno how accurate this is for Aus tbh. Packer and WSC basically kicked off triangular series and all through the 80s there was heaps of ODI cricket and it was crazily popular. Probably because the Windies were here nearly every second year

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
Yeah you're still not clearing this up at all here. These two definitions do not match up at all.
Sorry I thought I was being clear. For example I watch the Rugby World Cup every few years, but wouldn't say I'm a rugby fan. I have virtually no knowledge about the players, don't fully appreciate all the rules and once the RWC is over I would really bother with any rugby of any sort. Maybe you can provide some definitions and I'll pick one from the list you provide?

Spark

Global Moderator
Sorry I thought I was being clear. For example I watch the Rugby World Cup every few years, but wouldn't say I'm a rugby fan. I have virtually no knowledge about the players, don't fully appreciate all the rules and once the RWC is over I would really bother with any rugby of any sort. Maybe you can provide some definitions and I'll pick one from the list you provide?
> Total TV viewership
> Engaged long-term fans with consistent interest and knowledge of the game

Pick one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
> Total TV viewership

Pick one.
I think the point he was making was that he meant to only include people who watch lots of games consistently rather than just the highest rating event, so the WC final rating highly compared to a Test wouldn't really impress him if JAMODIs rated much worse.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the point he was making was that he meant to only include people who watch lots of games consistently rather than just the highest rating event, so the WC final rating highly compared to a Test wouldn't really impress him if JAMODIs rated much worse.
JAMODIs actually rate really well in the overall package though - or they did until semi-recently - and that's actually my main point of evidence for the distinction I'm making. They make a lot of money for the boards because of their TV ratings, but no one actually cares about them. We have to distinguish between the people who watch the cricket "because it's on" and the actual hardcore fans who make an effort to follow most games a team plays.

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
> Total TV viewership

Pick one.
Lets go with engaged long-term fans with consistent interest and knowledge of the game. While not including temporary cricket fans who generally appear and then disappear around a major international tournament or a domestic final.

Last edited:

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
From the replies its seems to be:

England = Test
Australia = Test
South Africa = ODI
New Zealand = ODI
Pakistan = T20
India =T20 (pretty sure its got to be T20 with the success of the IPL)

Not sure about West Indies & Sri Lanka? (Guessing T20 or ODI?)

DriveClub

International Regular
Pretty sure it would be t20s for WI with CPL. Should be t20 for SL as well even though they don't have a proper domestic t20 comp

Burgey

Lets go with engaged long-term fans with consistent interest and knowledge of the game. While not including temporary cricket fans who generally appear and then disappear around a major international tournament or a domestic final.
I think if you were adopting that definition then it would be tests >>>> ODIs=T20 for the long term hard core fan.

Though maybe T20 has moved ahead of ODI crocket now even among those fans (though it 2 from my POV. still watch it, mind)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
T20I cricket is not as popular as ODI cricket. But T20 league cricket is super popular. I think people realise that T20 is a good league sport but if you want to see the best players the longer forms are better.

Though speaking to my parents who don't have kayo or the means to afford it, one day cricket has basically disappeared for them now, so who knows how long it will last in the public's interest.

Already through club cricket, t20 is a really popular format, as is two day cricket. One day cricket may end up squeezed out in the long term, at least here in Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
ODIs in NZ.
I think this is probably right to be honest. T20 will always win out in terms of ground attendances because it's a much smaller time commitment. But I do think the overwhelming majority of casual cricket fans in NZ really don't care about T20's and prefer ODI's.

Spark

Global Moderator
Then Tests, by a huge margin.

veganbob

U19 Captain
I think if you were adopting that definition then it would be tests >>>> ODIs=T20 for the long term hard core fan.

Though maybe T20 has moved ahead of ODI crocket now even among those fans (though it 2 from my POV. still watch it, mind)
Even for the most hardcores- The odi world cup rates right up there. The quality/intensity of a 50 over world cup is much different to your jamodis.
Can't say the same for T20 world cup, people don't seem to remember those tournaments as vividly or place the same kind of importance as the odi world cup.

For me its Tests >> Odi's>>>>> T20i's

However I'd place winning the 50 over cwc over Any test series win. It would just be far more memorable being world champions (not that I know the feeling :sleep:)

Burgey

Yeah fair enough, I can see where that sentiment comes from. I'd always put winning a big test series like the Ashes, particularly away, ahead of the ODI WC but it's the next biggest thing for sure, certainly the biggest thing in any form of LO cricket, at least atm.

I think it's a bit of an adjustment which I'm still coming to terms with wrt T20 often having a lot riding on an individual ball, because it's such a compressed game. In ODIs, it's more often than not an over or a few overs. Whilst there's still the skill involved in getting that one ball right, I guess it seems to me to be far more subject to matter of luck in big moments the more compressed the format becomes. Has been an eye opener listening to guys like Symonds commentate and talk about things like "This is a big delivery coming up here because of X". I've never thought of cricket like that, unless it's things like the last ball of a tied ODI or as desperately tight test match. Whereas in T20 that seems to be the case a lot - SOK said onteh radio the other week they have more meetings and planning for a T20 than they do a test match. Interesting insight

Completely off topic, but I also enjoyed Symonds saying in a BBL match when a bloke missed a bowlers' end run out from wide mid off that it wasn't a half chance but a full chance because "Nearly two stumps to aim at from 25-28 metres - I would expect to hit eight times out of ten from there." Well, yes Andrew, I suppose you​ would. But was for the rest of us mortals...

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBH, I think it is also a statement of the evolving skills when it comes to fielding. I went to watch my school team play the other day and I played for them like 20 years ago. The intensity of their fielding drills and the sheer expectations from each fielder was almost as if they were playing an international. And while there are some gifts you need to be a good fielder, unlike batting and bowling, this is one field where you can be genuinely world class through sheer effort, practice and time.

Virat is not a good fielder, has decent anticipation but nothing extra-ordinary but it is basically his fitness and desire that has made him one of India's best fielders today. He is a better fielder now than he was when he was 19 or 20. Imagine saying that 10-15 years ago, even.

Flem274*

123/5
I think this is probably right to be honest. T20 will always win out in terms of ground attendances because it's a much smaller time commitment. But I do think the overwhelming majority of casual cricket fans in NZ really don't care about T20's and prefer ODI's.
yeah anecdotally this is correct imo. casual fans in nz tend to be winter code fanatics who will watch some odis but hate tests, and regard t20 as rugby sevens for cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
I think cricket fans like us, who live and breathe the sport, live in an entirely different world compared to the vast majority of cricket fans on the planet.

Check out the amount of activity across social media for a T20 game vs a Test match. Check out how many people attend domestic T20s Vs domestic FC games. Check out who the kids rather emulate - Pollard and Lynn, or Pujara and Cook?

I think the more you watch, follow and play cricket, the more appealing Test cricket becomes. But I think vast majority of people around the world who follow cricket regularly enjoy T20Is and ODIs more than Tests. Limited overs cricket is more action packed, has world cups, and is easier to follow. It also guarantees a winner, unlike Tests. The TV channels and cricket boards realise this and hence prioritise limited overs cricket. I don't think you could do a survey of cricket fans anywhere in the world that would show a specific country having a greater preference for Tests, unless of course you want to set criteria to determine who a 'real fan' is.