• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most popular format of cricket in each country (Test, ODI or T20)?

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
What is the most popular format of cricket in each cricketing country?

I know that in the following countries it is as follows.

England = Test/First Class Cricket
South Africa = ODI/One Day Cricket
Pakistan = T20

But i wanted to know what about the rest of the cricketing countries? India, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, West Indies?

MrPrez

International Debutant
What is the most popular format of cricket in each cricketing country?

I know that in the following countries it is as follows.

England = Test/First Class Cricket
South Africa = ODI/One Day Cricket
Pakistan = T20

But i wanted to know what about the rest of the cricketing countries? India, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, West Indies?
How do you purport to know this?

Pretty sure it would be T20 in SA anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
Define "popularity". If you just mean aggregate TV viewership numbers then it's probably T20s in most places. If you count in terms of actual, long-term engagement, then Tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It’s T20 in all countries
Realistically it probably is, in terms of brute viewing figures at least. It's almost certainly less daunting than the five days of a test with (American readers might wish to avert their eyes here) a draw at the end of it.

However more people eat Big Macs than filet mignon too. Popularity doesn't equal quality, skipping gaily through the tulip fields of Bleedinobvioushire as I clearly am here.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
It is certainly T20 in all countries. Modern viewers just do not have enough time to go through their daily routine and at the same time watch through 5 days of cricket.

Having said this, there is nothing like a thrilling test match if you are lucky to watch those captivating moments at the right time. The Stokes ashes match being a glorious example.

Heboric

International Debutant
In England isnt it depending on how well team does in a format. I remember when it was hip and cool to diss odi and t20 cricket because their team was crap, but now ...

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is certainly T20 in all countries. Modern viewers just do not have enough time to go through their daily routine and at the same time watch through 5 days of cricket.

Having said this, there is nothing like a thrilling test match if you are lucky to watch those captivating moments at the right time. The Stokes ashes match being a glorious example.
That was a great advert for the format. Around the same time...Pat Cummins was bowling out his heart in the series....while Bumrah was delivering bombs at Sabina Park

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In England isnt it depending on how well team does in a format. I remember when it was hip and cool to diss odi and t20 cricket because their team was crap, but now ...
Ha, there's probably an element of that amongst the more casual observers where ODIs are concerned, but T20 has generally been pretty well thought of since its inception and we've generally been on the merde side of average throughout its brief history, with 2010 as the brief exception to the rule.

Plus tests have always generally been pretty popular here and we've been all kinds of ploppy pants at various stages of my watching history.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah tbh I know plenty of people who will at best be vaguely aware that a test series is happening but go to watch county T20s several times a year

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Similarly in India (1983), and Australia (1987), and Pakistan (1992) ...

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tests > ODIs > T20I > T20 > ODD > FC

Tests are still the premiere format in Australia.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is a very simplistic and incorrect statement tbh. Whilst it may be true amongst the casual cricket watchers who will get on board when their country is doing well in any one format, that probably goes for everywhere.

The Barmy Army for instance was formed in the early 90's when England were a cod ordinary test side. That huge travelling support has remained today as an almost exclusively test cricket organisation.

As Spark I think asked in this thread, how are you judging "most popular"? For TV viewership then I'd agree T20 is probably the No1 for most countries, but again that is mostly down to casual watchers rather than dedicated cricket fans. If it's bums on seats at grounds then for England it is definately test cricket, home and away, regardless of if we're any good at the time.

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
How do you purport to know this?

Pretty sure it would be T20 in SA anyway.

I was basing the original comment on the most recent ICC/ECB surveys and have some knowledge on England. England strongly seems to be a Test cricket nation, SA and Pak im going by the surveys.

Last edited:

cricketboy100

Cricket Spectator
Define "popularity". If you just mean aggregate TV viewership numbers then it's probably T20s in most places. If you count in terms of actual, long-term engagement, then Tests.
by popular i mean, a combination of TV viewership and actual attendance. Im referring to actual fans, who would have some, even if, limited knowledge about the game and current or ex-players. Im not including people who might watch CWC final every few years.

Last edited: