• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Brand of Bat Do you Use and Why?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
first ever bat i used for team cricket was, beleive it or not, my mums bat LOL but it was actually good luck.
i first used it when i was about 8, in Junior A team, and i was never much of a batsman :|
when i was 12 i received a brand new gray nicholls ultimate which i was going to use for school rep matches.
we only played two matches (knock out format) and i scored a total of 6 (3 in both matches).
there was only 2 more saturday matches left, and when the saturday match rolled around i couldnt find my gray nicholls so i used my mums bat (it was completely white, with a new grip i put on the season before).
i went in, knocked about 23 of 12 which is still my highest competition score :)

my mum first used it sometime in the 1950's for her school side
they were the first co-ed school team or something. (kaikoura high?)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
I've had my Slaz V100 for around 7 years...it's still going strong! That bat just has some real beef in it!
i get a new bat every season, i seem to loose or break all my bats.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I used to use either Gunn and Moore or Duncan Fearnley. I found that the Gunn and Moore was a more solid beast (more suitable for the 'cow shot' which tended to be my stock shot in my early years).

As I got older and a lot less athletic, I used a Duncan Fearnley bat which tended to be a lot more condusive to cutting and other, more wristy strokes.

<quack> he was rubbish - he had more chance of hitting the ball if the bowler stood still and he just threw the bat down the pitch.

Come on, DD. I was a bowler really.

<quack> i'll give you one thing - you were great when selected to open the drinking

Thanks

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
i get a new bat every season, i seem to loose or break all my bats.
Yeah well I usually come in when the ball is soft so it doesn't really do that much damage :) especially when they can't find the ball afterwards :lol:

shaka

International Regular
I use the Kookaburra bats because they are relatively cheap, have a good middle, light and fits me perfectly, however, the problem is i rarely find the middle so i have not scored as many runs as i would have liked.

Simon

i got my new bat yesterday an "AS FALCON" a beautiful piece of wood. I cant wait to use it.

I use the Slanzenger V600.

It is a great bat and I can play really well with it. Its got a great center. I also sometimes use my V100.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I have had a couple of nets with my new Laver and Wood bat. It's lovely. It's like... the whole bat is the middle....

I was on the bowling machine for 2 hours this morning.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Hey kim. What size is your new L&W bat. I was talking to James Laver about the one I am getting made and he said from my size and height he would put me in a number 6. I think that is too small

Kimbo

International Debutant
haha... size 6...

mine is a small womens... whatever that is- kind of like a short handle...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
He told me that a small womens is the same as a harrow so I think that might be what i ask for.

Kimbo

International Debutant
It is like a harrow I guess- but a big meaty harrow. It's much wider and thicker than the harrow i had when i was 13/14.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Has anyone experienced a crack to the edge of the bat, quite soon after they bought it? My bat is starting to crack, so i have taped it all up, it still has a really sweet middle, and I dont think the crack is spreading...But is there anything else I could do?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
If it is quite new you should be able to take it back to the shop and they will get it fixed or get you a new one.

If it is a bit older you could take it to the shop and get it repaired. It wouldn't cost alot,

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm well I brought it when I was in South Africa :lol:

Ill take it to the county ground if it deteriorates, they do bat repair, cheers for the advice..

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Island Crickit

I use Island bats which are based in the West Country in Tiverton. Some Somerset players have used them while Stuart McGill has links with the company since his days playing club cricket down in that part of England. Mark Lathwell used them to great effect in a very successful Somerset career and though I cannot bat for toffee, what few runs I scored last season where down to a sweet middle and nice pick up rather than any talent on my behalf.

A superb collection of bats that I recommend to anyone, the site is at: http://www.islandcrickit.com

cheers! John F - www.somersettalk.co.uk

Top_Cat

I'd love one of those bats if they weren't going to cost me AUS $450 just to buy (let alone import) it. :)

Top_Cat

As much as I believe you (I really do!) and as much as I'd love a bat like that, I reckon I'll stick with my MRF. Considering I played a forward defensive push on the weekend which cleared the boundary by 20 metres, I'm pretty happy with it. ;)

Let's just say I can see why Steve Waugh uses the MRF Conqueror!