• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
3. George Headley
4. Viv Richards
5. Garry Sobers
6. Clive Lloyd (for his captaincy ability as well as being brillant with the tail)

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
To be honest, despite the loads of talent on show here, it is very tough to leave CLive out of an all time West Indies team, given how much significance his role had, in assembling and driving forward that star studded team. Am I wrong here?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
To be honest, despite the loads of talent on show here, it is very tough to leave CLive out of an all time West Indies team, given how much significance his role had, in assembling and driving forward that star studded team. Am I wrong here?
You're not necessarily wrong, but I think that Worrell had far more influence in the same sphere that Lloyd did.

watson

Banned
In order to shoe-horn Clive Lloyd into that middle-order you would have to leave out George Headley (I think that Richards, Lara and Sobers are non-negotiables).

But then, it's hard to argue that Lloyd's 'significance' to West Indian cricket is any greater than Headley's 'significance'. For a decade Headley was the cornerstone of an otherwise very ordinary West Indian batting line-up. This is an enormous amount of time to shoulder so much responsibility, and even the efforts of Allan Border and Sunil Gavaskar pale in comparison.

Indeed, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that West Indian cricket would have disppeared off the international radar altogether if it were not for Headley's batting skill and tenacity. Or at least be set back another 25 years.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not only is it not beyond the relm of possiblity, but a good chance that another defeat like the one the team suffered in '28 may have seen the W.I. ignored as a Test playing nation.
Headley was also seen as the second best batsman of his era ahead of Hammond and Hutton, and imho the second greatest batsman ever and not that far behind the Don.

bagapath

International Captain
top picks for windies middle order

Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Frank Worrell (c)
Gafield Sobers

2nd choice would be

headley
weakes
lloyd
walcott

3rd choice would be

larence rowe/ alvin kallicharan
richie richardson
rohan kanhai
shiv chanderpaul

the third one is good enough to compete with most ATG XIs

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Headley
Lara
Sobers
Richards

Flirted with the notion of leaving Richards out for one of the three W's on the grounds that while his style of play was decades ahead of his time, his overall record is bettered by several others. Nah, I couldn't really buy that either.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Screw being different:

Headley
Richards
Lara
Sobers

An immensely strong 3-6, which can be measured by the class of the batsmen not even getting a look-in.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ok, I'm gonna call this. Seems to be the consensus that most expected.

3. George Headley
4. Brian Lara
5. Viv Richards
6. Garry Sobers

Four man bowling unit. Please select FOUR from the following, or other legit suggestions.

Walsh
Ambrose
Marshall
Gibbs
Garner
Holding
Roberts
Hall
Ramahdin
Valentine
Croft

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Croft

I wanna pick Ramahdin, but the Windies dominated the best batting lineups of their day with 4 quicks and I can't imagine a spinner, even a good one, seeming like anything else than a respite for opposition batsmen.

Last edited:

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
3. George Headley.
4. Brian Lara.
5. Viv Richards.
6. Garry Sobers.
8. Malcolm Marshall.
9. Michael Holding.
10. Curtly Ambrose.
11. Joel Garner.

Would have gone with Headley, Lara, Viv and Sobers for the four middle order batsmen anyway. And, I will go with Marshall, Holding, Ambrose and Garner for the four bowlers. With Sobers in there, I don't think its a necessity to go with a spinner. Gibbs was a great spinner but not great enough to dislodge any of those four fast bowlers.

Slifer

International Captain
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

If necessary Sobers and Viv can turn their arms over a bit. Any of the great WI fastmen are so much greater than their spin counterparts that including a spinner (unless they of the Murali, Warne, Oreilly class) is pointless. Only thing I'd worry about is over rates.

Howe_zat

Audio File
8. Marshall
9. Holding
10. Ambrose
11. Gibbs

Always pick a spinner. Lloyd's 4-man attack was actually relatively short-lived and would only have been played in the time period that it did. Doesn't really have a place in an All-Time side for my quid.