• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lets be real here; if a Test team really had the talents of Walcott and Dujon available to them and no place for Walcott as a batsman, there's no way in the world they'd pick Dujon. No way in hell. They'd do all they could to develop Walcott's (apparently already quite good) wicket keeping and try to manage his workload so his back didn't get too bad.

I mean, de Villiers keeps for South Africa just so Rudolph and Duminy can play. That's not even for de Villiers's own selection in the team, and Rudolph and Duminy and certainly not Clyde Walcott class with the bat. You can romanticise Dujon's wicket keeping skill all you like but in the real world he wouldn't have a hope in hell of being selected.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA

And wicket keeping didn't hamper Walcott's batting, he was still developing his talents and his average in England was just about the same with or with out gloves and I belive that if he had gone to India with the gloves he still would have plundered that attack. His greatest innings was in England while he was wicketkeeping 168 to win the series.

watson

Banned
Lets be real here; if a Test team really had the talents of Walcott and Dujon available to them and no place for Walcott as a batsman, there's no way in the world they'd pick Dujon. No way in hell. They'd do all they could to develop Walcott's (apparently already quite good) wicket keeping and try to manage his workload so his back didn't get too bad.

I mean, de Villiers keeps for South Africa just so Rudolph and Duminy can play. That's not even for de Villiers's own selection in the team, and Rudolph and Duminy and certainly not Clyde Walcott class with the bat. You can romanticise Dujon's wicket keeping skill all you like but in the real world he wouldn't have a hope in hell of being selected.
The only reason that Walcott's batting flourished was that he gave up keeping. If Adam Gilchrist couldn't maintain an average over 50 then I don't see why Walcott would have been any different.

Put simply, it is not possible to keep full time and finish your career with a batting average of 56.68. In all probability Walcott would have finished up where he began - in the 40s.

Ergo, you may as well go for the expert keeper who already knows what to expect when Malcolm Marshall begins his run up.

JBMAC

State Captain
In selecting an ATG WI side there will be some unlucky ommissions. Kanhai,Kallicharan,Solomon,Hunte,Hall(Arguably the second fstest of all time) and these are but a few off the top of my head

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
When slecting their W.I. All Time XI Tony Cozier, Faz Mohammad and Reds Pierra all name Walcott.as their wicketkeeper, but what do they know. West Indies cricket existed before the 70's . Infact if we are looking for the keeper who handled our quartet the best it would be Deryck Murray.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Walcott Dujon was a fine, fine player but it seems unthinkable that Walcott wouldn't haven't been a strong player in the brilliant 80s team. With the WI bowling attack named keeping wouldn't be that difficult a task.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So far-

Walcott: 8 votes

Dujon 10 votes

Will wrap this section up tomorrow morning.

Interesting that Jackie Hendriks, who was selected in espn's WI ATG team hasn't received a vote yet.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah but lets be honest here, when those lists were first published, Hendriks was the shock selection across all the teams. I personally thought he was doing well just to make the shortlist.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah but lets be honest here, when those lists were first published, Hendriks was the shock selection across all the teams. I personally thought he was doing well just to make the shortlist.
tbh, I know nothing about Hendriks at all.

Slifer

International Captain
So far-

Walcott: 8 votes

Dujon 10 votes

Will wrap this section up tomorrow morning.

Interesting that Jackie Hendriks, who was selected in espn's WI ATG team hasn't received a vote yet.
TBH it wasnt interesting at all it was just a daft idiotic choice by the so called experts.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
TBH it wasnt interesting at all it was just a daft idiotic choice by the so called experts.
It wasn't idiotic at all. With Sobers coming at no 6, the team can afford Hendriks. I think it was very well thought out and Hendriks got the place considering the combination of the team as well. Hendriks is probably the best complete w.keeper for W.I. competent against both pace and spin. Gibbs is there in the team, probably that prompted more to give Hendriks the nod.