• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WC Qualifier tonight

steds

Hall of Fame Member
England win 1-0. A Fara Williams penalty in the 55th minute seperated us from the Dutch. Another clean sheet to Rachel's name.:D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
I suppose seeing as I won't be able to see Rachel, I'll just go watch some welsh and proddy dog schoolkids who I don't care about :sadwalk:
That No 7 for the sheep-molesting Druids was absolutely superb.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
England win 1-0. A Fara Williams penalty in the 55th minute seperated us from the Dutch. Another clean sheet to Rachel's name.:D
Yay. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England to qualify again then...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
If any rule changes are needed, it would be that penalty shootouts / extra time should be played at a 3rd venue (e.g. neutral venue). Too much advantage is given to the team who plays at home in the 2nd leg.
I agree, it would have been a fabulous spectacle to see 1-0 at the end of extra time followed by the players and spectators marching out of the stadium and into the park across the road to have a penalty shoot out by spotlight.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Oh get over it. :p

I agree it's sad that the Reggae Boyz couldn't even make it out of the preliminary qualifiers though. I'll shed a tear for you during Germany '06. :cool:
Hey!! We made it to the Semis I think. Did better at the Gold CUp and Caribbean Cups beating you guys quite well qith a vastly inexperienced team but I digress. Congrats on the qualification but still 2nd best!!

Cloete

International Captain
roseboy64 said:
Hey!! We made it to the Semis I think. Did better at the Gold CUp and Caribbean Cups beating you guys quite well qith a vastly inexperienced team but I digress. Congrats on the qualification but still 2nd best!!
What was the score against Australia? ;)

Craig

World Traveller
May the Schwarz be with you

For those too lazy to click on the link:

May The Schwarz Be With You
11/17/2005 2:12:00 PM
Matthew Bennett in Melbourne describes the agony and - at last - the ecstasy of supporting the Australian football team...all the way to Germany 2006...
The Dream begins. You are walking down a well trodden road, hundreds of studded footprints guiding your steps. The going is easy, the road wide, your destination shining in the distance. The Promised Land grows ever closer, you can see it, smell it, hear it. You begin to run. Suddenly, the road grows narrow, the footprints guiding your way are harder to find, and you become increasingly aware of something chasing you down. Dare you look around? You begin to sprint, your lungs bursting, but the spectre hunting you grows inexorably closer. Nirvana is only feet away from you now; you reach out, stretching your fingers, willing yourself on. You can feel the perfumed breeze on your face, see the golden idol with the power to make average men heroes and wise old men legends. But as you go to make the final step, a mighty crevice opens up in front of you, and the spectre that has haunted you the entire journey is now upon you, and it leaps…

And then you wake up. And the World Cup dream is over for another 4 years. Many of you will know the shattering of the dream, but it is especially painful for Australian football fans. So many times we have run the gauntlet that is the two legged play-off for a World Cup spot, and so many times we have failed. Whether it be bad luck, poor preparation or simply inferior playing talent, we have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory so consistently over the years that the Socceroos have become something of a sad joke. Sporting excellence is something that is expected in Australia, so to have a team of perennial losers wearing our crest and national colours has become embarrassing. However all that changed last night as the boys in green and gold put in one of the bravest and classiest performances ever witnessed by Australian soccer fans.

Let’s not get carried away though, we have to admit, everything went right for Australia. From Uruguay’s self-inflicted transport trouble to the injuries to Diego Forlan and Paolo Montero it seemed like fate was at last smiling on the Socceroos. Then Alvaro Recoba sealed his and his team-mates' fate by committing the sin of Hubris, claiming Uruguay had a divine right to be at the World Cup because, well, they were Uruguay. The Football Gods have never enjoyed being told what to do, and made sure Recoba was reminded he hasn’t played a full ninety minutes for his club side in about 5 seasons, the talismanic forward subbed off late in the game looking exhausted. Australia, by comparison, never made any outlandish statements or bothered with any mind games, but they did exude a quiet confidence over the two legs. The self-belief the Socceroos had in their manager and each other was a far cry from the Confederations Cup debacle only 5 months earlier, where they looked disorganised, flaky and dysfunctional (especially at the back). Suddenly here was a team that believed they could win, believed they belonged in football’s greatest contest, so what caused this massive change in attitude?

Guus Hiddink. The answer is that simple. The Dutch Master has steered this Australian side towards the World Cup with composure, class and brilliant tactical nous. Suddenly the Socceroos' defence was tight and able to deal with a variety of threats, whether in the air or on the floor. The team could operate well in a variety of systems, and Harry Kewell was yet to kick a ball in anger. We were ready for Uruguay, better prepared than we had ever been, and with the most talented team Australia has ever produced at our disposal. And they thought we had gone backwards from four years ago and the tears in Montevideo. Suddenly you knew it was going to happen.

Kick off. Uruguay are battering us, Popovic is yellow-carded for an elbow on the dangerous Recoba. Enter Harry Kewell for The Crystal Palace centre-half, and almost immediately we start dictating the tempo. A Bresciano goal and some heroics from Mark Schwarzer and suddenly we’re in the World Cup finals for the first time in 32 years and the second time in our history. Kewell has played like he the past 12 months never happened, the defence, labelled slow and old, has repelled Uruguay for 120 minutes. Fossati is uncharacteristically quiet, Hiddink characteristically so. We have defeated a side that has fought and kicked and dived and whinged its way through 210 minutes of football and now, finally, the dream has been realised.

…and it leaps, but you are not afraid. You turn and face your enemy and parry and block and counter-attack until your foe is vanquished. Then you use its body to bridge the crevice which is not as mighty as you first thought, and suddenly you’re in the Promised Land, and its inhabitants are speaking German and giving you beer in very large glasses, and they lead you to a new path. This one also has a wide and well trod beginning, but quickly narrows and rises steeply, and at its zenith, that golden idol, the object lusted after by so many. And suddenly you realise that your journey, rather than being over, is only just beginning.

Matthew Bennett

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
It was random how John Travolta was at the game supporting Aus
RIGHT! That's it! John Travolta has given a lot to Australian soccer over the years and I won't have him rubbished by people on this forum who should know better!

Watching the game the other night I had chills, and they were multiplying...I'd go as far as to say I was losing control...the power John was supplying was, well, electrifying! So you two better shape up, or we'll lose a fan, I know your hearts are set on Hugh but you better shape up, up, up!

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Son Of Coco said:
RIGHT! That's it! John Travolta has given a lot to Australian soccer over the years and I won't have him rubbished by people on this forum who should know better!

Watching the game the other night I had chills, and they were multiplying...I'd go as far as to say I was losing control...the power John was supplying was, well, electrifying! So you two better shape up, or we'll lose a fan, I know your hearts are set on Hugh but you better shape up, up, up!
Saddest part about that....

I know the song! :ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
roseboy64 said:
What's that? Was that the sound of Jamaica choking?

Semifinals? Huh? Round 2 of qualifying, yes, but you only had to beat Haiti to get there. What semifinals?

Code:
[B]Team		MP	W	D	L	GF	GA	Pts[/B]
 USA 		6	3	3 	0	13	3 	12
 Panama 	6	2	2 	2	8	11 	8
[B] Jamaica 	6	1	4 	1	7	5 	7[/B]
 El Salvador 	6	1	1 	4	2	11 	4
Code:
[B]Team		MP	W	D	L	GF	GA	Pts[/B]
 Mexico 		6	6	0 	0	27	1 	18
[B] Trinidad and Tobago 	6	4	0 	2	12	9 	12[/B]
 St. Vincent/Grenadines	6	2	0 	4	5	12 	6
 St. Kitts and Nevis 	6	0	0 	6	2	24
We sent a weak team to the Gold Cup too (no Latapy or Yorke), so try again.

EDIT: Worth noting that Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago never played each other in the Gold Cup. In fact, Jamaica only did better than T&T in the Gold Cup at all because they got a win over Guatemala, despite giving up 3 goals (shoddy defence). Mefinks the tears are disrupting your memory. :p

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations to all the Aussies on this forum on winning the World Cup qualifier and getting through to the World Cup 2006 !!

Blaze

Banned
JASON said:
Congratulations to all the Aussies on this forum on winning the World Cup qualifier and getting through to the World Cup 2006 !!

What do you have to congratulate them for? AFAIK no forum members on cricket web had anything to do with AUS qualifing..

Linda

International Vice-Captain
JASON said:
Thank you Jason, its been a tough slog these last 30 odd years, but now we've done the impossible - win a soccer match.