• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WC Qualifier tonight

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Linda said:
Thank you Jason, its been a tough slog these last 30 odd years, but now we've done the impossible - win a soccer match.
(prays the rest of Australia has forgotten about whipping us 3-1 in England too...)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Nah most us football fans, will remember that game and scoreline for a long time :p
Francis Jeffers certainly will - probably the only one-cap wonder with a goal to his name. And it was also Wayne Rooney's international debut, an occasion which will history will record as far more significant than the scoreline.

That said, we were bloody awful that game. Never mind, we'll have you in Germany. :p

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
The World Rankings have USA in the top 10 - that's how dubious they are.
The UNited States are a much better team than a lot of people give them credit for.
I won't be at all surprised if they make the world cup semis next year.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
Unless, of course, we're beating certain South American countries that we have a bit of previous with.... :D
True.

I'm looking forward to the WC draw on December 9th, should be fun.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Friendlies = meaningless. 2-1, now that's a memorable scoreline...
Friendles are meaningless for countries that play 15 plus internationals a year (England and others probably play more, but i never keep count). But for countries that only play like a handful of internationals a year they are everything. But beating one of the top Internationals is something significant down here.

Barney Rubble said:
And it was also Wayne Rooney's international debut, an occasion which will history will record as far more significant than the scoreline.
And for us Aussie the Rooney debut means nothing compared to the result

Barney Rubble

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
And for us Aussie the Rooney debut means nothing compared to the result
I know, I'm just putting things into perspective. It was a great result for you - mostly 'cause it'll never happen again. :p :D

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:D

I like the sign at the game that read 'If we win...you're **** at everything'

...it rang a little truer back then :dry:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
No, they're not.
Exactly. Only Yanks think they're good, because they never see any better than the likes of Mexico and Honduras. If they come up against a Brazil or a Holland next year they'll get battered.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Exactly. Only Yanks think they're good, because they never see any better than the likes of Mexico and Honduras. If they come up against a Brazil or a Holland next year they'll get battered.
So would most teams, if any team outside Europe and South America its going win the WC its going to be USA...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Or Portugal?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
So would most teams, if any team outside Europe and South America its going win the WC its going to be USA...
I rate Japan higher than I rate the USA, likewise South Korea. Irrelevant really, as none of them will ever win it.

Samuel_Vimes said:
Or Portugal?
Not quite sure what you're getting at here.