• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watching cricket at the ground

krkode

State Captain
I've always wondered about watching cricket matches at the ground. I've been an ardent cricket fan for over half of my lifetime but sadly I've only been to one cricket match. (Used to live in Hyderabad where we didn't have too many games and then moved to the US.)
That one match I did go to Tendulkar made 186 against NZ. :p

How do people really manage to make these games that are played in the mornings on a weekday? Do people skip school or work to go watch a match?

Cricket is probably also one of the few (or maybe the only?) sport that actually extends for the better part of the day spanning 6 hours of game-time and possibly 8 total if you include breaks and delays. How are people expected to make these? People lament the fact that so few people show up at grounds anymore for test matches - why is it such a surprise?

So how often do you go to a cricket match? Ever been to all 5 days of a test match? How does one get out of work/school for that kind of excursion? :o

My hope is that I'll be able to attend the 2015 (2014?) World Cup... most likely won't make the 2011 cuz I'll be neck deep in my studies at the time. :dry:

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Seen England play 5 times, Yorkshire play countless time.

Got tickets for the first 3 days of the Headingley Ashes 2009 Test :cool:

Hoggy31

International Captain
FTR: left at tea just before Gilly made that record ton a few years ago at the WACA, was pretty gutted tbh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm the same, barely get to any cricket, and all i did was the stuff at the civil service ground at Stormont. Would desperately like to get to an Ashes day or two this summer, but that's extremely difficult, so in any case i'll try to head down and see Lancashire as much as possible.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Seen England play 5 times, Yorkshire play countless time.

Got tickets for the first 3 days of the Headingley Ashes 2009 Test :cool:
Will hopefully be attending the Headingley Test (day three if I can) so if I get tix (general sale December 1st) then let's meet up (would love to **** you)

Uppercut

Will hopefully be attending the Headingley Test (day three if I can) so if I get tix (general sale December 1st) then let's meet up (would love to **** you)
What time do they go on sale at, and how quickly are they likely to sell out?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know is my answer to both. Will be majorly pissed off if I don't get tickets. Think that it's fair enough to give members priority, after that people who have attended Tests between the Ashes (ie 06, 07 and/or 08) should get priority. I'm sure plenty don't agree, and fair enough, but I'd be safe for a ticket if that was the case so :p

edit - so i take it you're after tickets, defo must meet up for a pint if we're there at the same time

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah that would be gun. Try get them for the 1st day if you can because that is the only day where I am definitely going to, plus there is a smaller chance of England being belted around at that point :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah that would be gun. Try get them for the 1st day if you can because that is the only day where I am definitely going to, plus there is a smaller chance of England being belted around at that point :ph34r:
I'll take any day I can get, am leaving it in the hands of a more useful mate

Think the Ashes will be a great series, their batting is way better than ours but I'd take our bowlers any day. Can't wait, already

Uppercut

I don't know is my answer to both. Will be majorly pissed off if I don't get tickets. Think that it's fair enough to give members priority, after that people who have attended Tests between the Ashes (ie 06, 07 and/or 08) should get priority. I'm sure plenty don't agree, and fair enough, but I'd be safe for a ticket if that was the case so :p

edit - so i take it you're after tickets, defo must meet up for a pint if we're there at the same time
Certainly,yeah, big "if" though, the cardiff ones sold out in seconds i believe :ph34r: .

I'm still pissed at the decision not to have a test at OT tbh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, me too, though tbh this year I opted out of attending a Test at OT & went to headingley instead due to preferable opposition

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Day three, got to watch SA bat for most of the day, and then England lost two wickets at the end

And the OT Test was a cracker :@

edit - that being said, I had a great time at the Test anyway, except for getting told off by stewards at the end for arguing with/swearing at the elderly

Uppercut

Day three, got to watch SA bat for most of the day, and then England lost two wickets at the end

And the OT Test was a cracker :@

edit - that being said, I had a great time at the Test anyway, except for getting told off by stewards at the end for arguing with/swearing at the elderly
:laugh:

That is what you get for ditching the wonderful county of Lancashire! England will get what's coming to them next summer for that sin...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wow krkode is back..

I go to the cricket whenever I've got nothing else to do, and if it's being held in St.Georges Park.. I insist on sitting on the grass banks, which are low down and behind the bowlers arm under the huge grandstand at PE

Redbacks

International Captain
Is the fact that watching the match at home on TV lets allows people so much more information and replays what hurts crowds at test matches?

I attend one day or more of State games, and have seen all days of play at a test 2 times. Once v India and once against England.