• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram Best Left Arm Fast Bowler Ever?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay. Here are the top left arm pacers over time other than Akram.

1. Alan Davidson (Australia)
2. Bill Voce (England)
3. Bill Johnston (Australia)
4. Gary Sobers (West Indies)

Alan Davidson is considered by many people as the best left arm pacer ever. Voce was Larwood's partner in the Ashes series and a vital paret of the bodyline strategy. Johnston and Sobers are considered by Trueman, writing in 1983, as the best left arm pacers since the war after Davidson.

I think that should be the complete list of genuine contenders.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Although not spectacular, I wonder what would've happened if Allott didn't have so many injuries? Mainly Allott. IIRC he set a record in the '99 world cup, but his Test record was poor.

Not worlds best but worthy of a mention.

After Waseem Akram it is going to be IKP!!

Also IKP is very young, by the time he hangs his boots he might even break most of the records held by Akram.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
After Waseem Akram it is going to be IKP!!

Also IKP is very young, by the time he hangs his boots he might even break most of the records held by Akram.
I'm sure that he will go on to break every bowling world record in the history of the game, half of the batting ones, reconcile China and Taiwan AND make Cold Fusion work.

I could be wrong, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
He also has a big test double century, the only one at number 8 in the order !!

The fact of the matter is that even though he played some devastating strokes, he did not have an all round game (while batting) to become more consistent. He relied very heavily on a few strokes and a few heaves. I know his millions of fans (I am one) will not like the sound of that but it is a fact. He would thus be found out by good attack later in his career. His defense was feeble at best.

Having said that, I am convinced that if he had set his mind to it and worked at it, he would have scored many more runs than he did. I think he was happy contributing the bit that he was and not being under pressure for a place in the side due to his bowling which didnt desert him throughout, he was able to do so.
I would agree with this.

Actually, though you point out Warne as a counter-example, he is in a similar boat as Wasim in my view. Both had a great deal of natural ability with the bat, as for that matter did Davidson. Warne and Wasim never applied themselves entirely with the bat though, often threw it away when they didn't have a lot to bat for, and didn't particularly improve as their careers went on (though Warne is beginning to now), and as such are considered bowlers who could bat rather than all-rounders. There are other examples of bowlers who were similarly talented and as their careers wore on they improved with the bat dramatically, including Imran and Vettori that you mentioned, and also the likes of Benaud and Hadlee, who both started out with some natural talent and gradually improved with the bat as time wore on and achieved all-rounder status later in their career, something that neither Wasim nor Warne ever manged, though I suppose with a couple more series like the Ashes, Warne could get there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I'm sure that he will go on to break every bowling world record in the history of the game, half of the batting ones, reconcile China and Taiwan AND make Cold Fusion work.

I could be wrong, though.
:D :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
:D

I wonder if he'll be selling his Xmas trees again this winter. I'd like to buy one from the chap, and give him a scout handshake.
You mean the double-double-secret-Derbyshire-Member scout handshake?

If you do, perhaps he won't scald the roots so when you plant it in the garden after Christmas it won't just keel over and die.

dinu23

International Debutant
SJS said:
Okay. Here are the top left arm pacers over time other than Akram.

1. Alan Davidson (Australia)
2. Bill Voce (England)
3. Bill Johnston (Australia)
4. Gary Sobers (West Indies)

Alan Davidson is considered by many people as the best left arm pacer ever. Voce was Larwood's partner in the Ashes series and a vital paret of the bodyline strategy. Johnston and Sobers are considered by Trueman, writing in 1983, as the best left arm pacers since the war after Davidson.

I think that should be the complete list of genuine contenders.
i just looked at both Bill Voce and Bill Johnston records. Johnston has a much better record than Voce. I haven't seen any of them bowl but according to the records Voce is similar to Vaas, averaging in the high twenties and strike rates in the 60s.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
i just looked at both Bill Voce and Bill Johnston records. Johnston has a much better record than Voce. I haven't seen any of them bowl but according to the records Voce is similar to Vaas, averaging in the high twenties and strike rates in the 60s.
Sometimes we have to look beyond stats. If you look at Sobers bowling average you would consider him a below average bowler.

One has to go by wha those who have seen him have to say too. And Voce was highly rated. But no one I know rates Voce or Johnston above Davidson.

-

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Akram is probably the most leathal one-day bowler ever, although Davidson was a fine test bowler.

archie mac

International Coach
Hazza said:
Akram is probably the most leathal one-day bowler ever, although Davidson was a fine test bowler.
I think Davidson would have been a very good ODI player, his economy rate is great, (although it was the slow scoring 50s & 60s) and he was a very clean hitter of the ball.

I can still see Akram destroying England in a WC final.