• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne - The allrounder of the ashes so far??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Instead of just replying with silly illustrations, why don't you actually put up in argument if you disagree??
Well the difference is that due to Freddie's allround performance England actually won the second test and if it were not raining at Manchaster, they would have been 2-1 whereas Warnie's allround performance wasn't enough to save the test.

Blaze

Banned
Yea Warne has been on fire and looking at certain english people on the board they can't accept that Warne has slightly outplayed Flintoff up to this point.

Both have played exceptional cricket but if the series was to end after the third test then Warne would be the all rounder of the series.

I would expect Flintoff to be on top by the end of the summer though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Yea Warne has been on fire and looking at certain english people on the board they can't accept that Warne has slightly outplayed Flintoff up to this point.

Both have played exceptional cricket but if the series was to end after the third test then Warne would be the all rounder of the series.

I would expect Flintoff to be on top by the end of the summer though.
I can - I make no secret of my admiration for the guy, and believe you me, I was gutted for him when he blew his chance of a test match ton.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think anyone is doubting the pure figures (although the assertion that Flintoff got lucky runs, but no mention of Warne's luck is interesting)

The reason people are taking this with a pinch of salt is because of who started the thread and his long-term anti-Flintoff stance.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
if glenn mcgrath does manage to get out at some point this series, in terms of averages only he might just be the best all rounder in the series.
Obviously there is a difference TEC. For a start Warne has had both MORE runs at a better average than Flintoff in the series to date and has no notouts....Not to mention his better bowling figures

Zinzan

marc71178 said:
I don't think anyone is doubting the pure figures (although the assertion that Flintoff got lucky runs, but no mention of Warne's luck is interesting)

The reason people are taking this with a pinch of salt is because of who started the thread and his long-term anti-Flintoff stance.
There's no pleasing you is there Marc. Unless I say Flintoff is the best allrounder that has ever played the game I doubt you'll be happy. Like swervy, you conveniently ignore it when i do praise Flintoff.....ie after the 2nd test when I raved about his performance.

Can you honestly say I'm that far off the mark in suggesting Warne may have had the better allround series to date?????

That is when you consider he's scored more runs in the same amount of innings at a better average as well as taken more wickets at a better average.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that Warne is a better allrounder - that would be a crazy call to make. I also think Flintoff has been outstanding in the series so far. What I am saying is that there is a good argument that Warne has had a better allrounder series than Flintoff up to now.

Zinzan

marc71178 said:

Where did I state Flintoff got lucky runs??????

Zinzan

marc71178 said:

Yes Drama Queen ...Thats why i've always included him in my world oneday XI isn't it. I do apologise that I don't share the same affection that you obviously do for Flintoff. The way you carry on anyone would think I send him hatemail or something.

The fact remains that about 12 months ago I thought Flintoff was an outstanding oneday player but a very overated test player and I wrote threads and made comments along those lines.
In the last 6 months, particularly in this current series I've acknowledged on at least 3 occasions that Flintoff is quickly proving me wrong and is really standing up as a top allrounder in the long version of the game.

I'm so sorry marc that I call things the way I see things :p

I'm still waiting for YOUR argument as to how I'm so off the mark with this thread?????

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Obviously there is a difference TEC. For a start Warne has had both MORE runs at a better average than Flintoff in the series to date and has no notouts....Not to mention his better bowling figures
yes everyone knows that warne has been performing well with both bat and ball this series. but i fail to understand your point in this entire thing.
either you're a bit slow, and it took you a while to realise that warne has been australias best batter and bowler all series, or for the 2nd time during this series you're trying to belittle flintoff as much as possible while you get the chance.

King_Ponting

International Regular
tooextracool said:
yes everyone knows that warne has been performing well with both bat and ball this series. but i fail to understand your point in this entire thing.
either you're a bit slow, and it took you a while to realise that warne has been australias best batter and bowler all series, or for the 2nd time during this series you're trying to belittle flintoff as much as possible while you get the chance.
Warne is the most consistent aussie batsman in this series to date... Ponting, however has been australia's best batsman of this series so far.

Zinzan

tooextracool said:
My point is simply raising the question as to whether Warne has been the allrounder of the series so far ....Looks like your a little slow, reading not your strong point aye ??

I can't see why raising this question automatically means i'm belittling Flintoff, as opposed to you and your straight-out attack of players you find overated over the years

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
Yes Drama Queen ...Thats why i've always included him in my world oneday XI isn't it. I do apologise that I don't share the same affection that you obviously do for Flintoff. The way you carry on anyone would think I send him hatemail or something.

The fact remains that about 12 months ago I thought Flintoff was an outstanding oneday player but a very overated test player and I wrote threads and made comments along those lines.
In the last 6 months, particularly in this current series I've acknowledged on at least 3 occasions that Flintoff is quickly proving me wrong and is really standing up as a top allrounder in the long version of the game.

I'm so sorry marc that I call things the way I see things :p

I'm still waiting for YOUR argument as to how I'm so off the mark with this thread?????
That's gold. Zinzan at his best.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
That's gold. Zinzan at his best.
I like the bit where he goes on about the things he was saying a year ago - whereas right next to his avatar it states categorically that he joined the site in January 2005.

(goes back to doing the crossword)

Zinzan

Slats4ever said:
such a good question. by far the 2 stars for each teams. i can't pick em.
Nice to see someone agrees its a tough call without bleating on about some sort of conspiracy against Flintoff

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
the gap between these two guys and the third best player of the series is enormous. In no way would u be bilettiling flintoff at all. I reckon the guy is the best all rounder in the world by far at the moment.

To chose between the two this series so hard is very hard to do however. Warne's innings with the bat have really come with Australia with it's backs to the wall which says something about him as a character and player, whilst Flintoff's efforts with the bat have been really quite dominating.

Bowling wise however I think Warne edges Flintoff which probably in my mind gives him the cake so far. A cake which he'll gladly eat.

Zinzan

Slats4ever said:
the gap between these two guys and the third best player of the series is enormous. In no way would u be bilettiling flintoff at all. I reckon the guy is the best all rounder in the world by far at the moment.

To chose between the two this series so hard is very hard to do however. Warne's innings with the bat have really come with Australia with it's backs to the wall which says something about him as a character and player, whilst Flintoff's efforts with the bat have been really quite dominating.

Bowling wise however I think Warne edges Flintoff which probably in my mind gives him the cake so far. A cake which he'll gladly eat.
Precisely

cameeel

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I like the bit where he goes on about the things he was saying a year ago - whereas right next to his avatar it states categorically that he joined the site in January 2005.

Perhaps he means the Financial year?

Zinzan

luckyeddie said:

Yes 8 months on this site....but longer than that in discussions with mates and through other mediums