• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WANTED: One English wicket-keeper

luffy

International Captain
That was disgraceful on the English behalf to be debuting a 36 year old!!! While he performed good the answear for England is to put in youth that can maybe play for at least 10 more years unlike an old player who will be lucky too be playing for 2 more years. If a young player can't bat they need to stick with him for a while.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd rather have an old player who'll play well for 2 years (not saying Nixon will do this, mind) than a youngster who will always be dire

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah agreed.

rather have him keeping for another two years, so that Davies can score more runs in the county scene, and make sure he's ready then just drag him into international cricket right away.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That was disgraceful on the English behalf to be debuting a 36 year old!!! While he performed good the answear for England is to put in youth that can maybe play for at least 10 more years unlike an old player who will be lucky too be playing for 2 more years. If a young player can't bat they need to stick with him for a while.
In that case, why don't the Aussies drop all their old men immediately?

If Nixon is the best man for the job, then he has to play.

luffy

International Captain
In that case, why don't the Aussies drop all their old men immediately?

If Nixon is the best man for the job, then he has to play.
There is a large difference to debuting with someone 36 years old and playing with someone who is 36 years old and has been playing for 10 or more years.

luffy

International Captain
IF he was Australian he wouldn't be in the top two wicket keepers in the country. He may be the best man for the job for England but what's the point i mean have a young guy in there and they will improve eventually.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
IF he was Australian he wouldn't be in the top two wicket keepers in the country. He may be the best man for the job for England......
As Australians we can afford to proud but I don't think being this condescending helps anybody. The sporting world is full of highly talented players whose circumstances have kept them playing well out of the limelight and who shine briefly at the top level late in their career.
.... what's the point i mean have a young guy in there and they will improve eventually.
They want the person they think is best and they want them there now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IF he was Australian he wouldn't be in the top two wicket keepers in the country. He may be the best man for the job for England but what's the point i mean have a young guy in there and they will improve eventually.
Or, put a young person into a very much struggling side and watch him struggle along with the side and ruin any confidence...

luffy

International Captain
Or, put a young person into a very much struggling side and watch him struggle along with the side and ruin any confidence...
He may struggle but once the team goes better he will have confiedence that he lasted through that tough period.

tom_field25

Cricket Spectator
the man for the job

i think personally that Stephen Davies should be the Engalnd wicketkeeper as he is young and a far better batsman than read jones and nixon. Read and jones have been given their chances and NIxon is too old.He has plenty of years left in cricket so he should be picked for the world cup not read nixon and prior.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
i think personally that Stephen Davies should be the Engalnd wicketkeeper as he is young and a far better batsman than read jones and nixon. Read and jones have been given their chances and NIxon is too old.He has plenty of years left in cricket so he should be picked for the world cup not read nixon and prior.
Having left the UK a while ago, I have never seen him play.

Obviously I have read about him but its not the same. What do other English members think? and how do they rate Davies as an England candidate?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Davies is a great long term prospect, but not sure he is ready to play at international level just yet. Stick with Nixon for the time being.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having left the UK a while ago, I have never seen him play.

Obviously I have read about him but its not the same. What do other English members think? and how do they rate Davies as an England candidate?
He's been highly talked of, captained the U19s I believe, and has already recorded first-class hundreds - 192 against Gloucester - and by all accounts keeps very well. He was responsible for Zaheer Khan missing his ten-for, mind...

I think's a case of when, rather than if, he makes his debut, and the 'A' tour will be interesting - I would hope he will score big in Bangladesh - but the World Cup is probably too far too soon.

Tom - nice to see someone else from Devon around. Which bit?