• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was the better Test match batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
with tons of post against Sachin from his batting style to him not carrying the batting, it's clear that you are trolling and add to that the statements like the one below

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that a Gilly's style or a Sehwag's style can be tagged into one category. they are not mutually exclusive .... and 'Sachin's way' is 'Bradman's way' as subscribed by the great Bradman himself

Definately, a case for sounding a troll alert :toot:
And btw, on Sehwag style = Gilly style.....

How many times has Gilly "late cut" seamers and how many times has Sehwag actually pulled the ball to midwicket??????

And yes Sachin's way is Bradman's way as Bradman himself mentioned. But that doesn't automatically mean he is the greatest ever???? There are school kids at my old school who tend to bat exactly the way Sachin does but that doesn't mean they are the next best batsmen in India...

And for the record, having never watched Viv at his best live, I hate to compare two men... Both men are definitely all time greats and would probably figure in most people's test fifteens, if not elevens and hence, I ve voted for the irrelevant third option.

And of course, juz to suggest a new trend along the lines of Richard and SS' fast bowlers >>> spinners, openers >>>> middle order batsmen...... :D

And Gilly is almost always hyper active at the crease, in terms of footwork and everything, unlike Sehwag who just likes to stay still and hit the ball...

pasag

RTDAS
with tons of post against Sachin from his batting style to him not carrying the batting, it's clear that you are trolling and add to that the statements like the one below

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that a Gilly's style or a Sehwag's style can be tagged into one category. they are not mutually exclusive .... and 'Sachin's way' is 'Bradman's way' as subscribed by the great Bradman himself

Definately, a case for sounding a troll alert :toot:
8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
show one post of yours thats logical .... the point on batting style was quite hilarious though
8-)

or is it just that you don't exactly understand the word "logic"?????

Instead of some of your so extremely unclever and rather pitiful attempts at sarcasm, try actual counter points to some of my points.....

ret

International Debutant
8-)

or is it just that you don't exactly understand the word "logic"?????

Instead of some of your so extremely unclever and rather pitiful attempts at sarcasm, try actual counter points to some of my points.....
what do yo want me to counter, that if Giily late cuts seamer and Sehwag doesn't that makes it unique and while Sachin can not only do that but also hit a 6 over the 3rd man for a 6 like Sehwag, he is not unique

and in India, every other guy on the street acts like an encyclopedia on cricket, does that make them one? How many of them would you bother countering? May be you will do better with your old school's kids

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
In a discussion of Sachin Vs. Lara, it is quite obvious who HB is going to pick and he has almost always given his reasons for it, but to call him a troll for stating his opinion, is actually idiocy of highest order and I think I have always described these people as Tendulkar Fanatics.

Why is it so difficult for some Indians to accept that some people can actually prefer Lara over Tendulkar ?

neville cardus

International Debutant
PhoenixFire said:
Oh dear, you poor person.
Actually I find that quite insulting, the fact that you think I'm not capable to make up my own decision about things like that. I pity you, I really do.
KaZoH0lic said:
You don't need to pity me son, pity yourself. For you to question someone's logic without having even heard it is rich. For you to call a reply to that insult an insult is even more rich.
You know, if you are both so very keen on pitying each other but do not want to be pitied yourselves, you quite easily just pity me. (Hard week, etcetera.)

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
In a discussion of Sachin Vs. Lara, it is quite obvious who HB is going to pick and he has almost always given his reasons for it, but to call him a troll for stating his opinion, is actually idiocy of highest order and I think I have always described these people as Tendulkar Fanatics.

Why is it so difficult for some Indians to accept that some people can actually prefer Lara over Tendulkar ?
haha, did i say that he is wrong in picking Lara [or whoever] over Tendulkar. I don't even care if he doesn't pick Tendulkar but what I wrote against was his unnecessarily biased criteria that he set to say Tendulkar's batting style is not unique

while you may think of this as an idiocy of highest order, I would see thinking that as such as idiocy of the highest order but thats expected :laugh:

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
I'm not sure Tendulkar was that much better than Waugh and I certainly don't think it's conclusive with regards to Lara, let alone Ponting.

As far as the aforementioned batsmen and their legacy in the 90s, Waugh has, IMO, the best record of them all and certainly the most balanced.
Maybe there's argument over being better than Lara but no doubt about the other 2 thou... easily better batsman than Ponting and slightly ahead of Steve Waugh.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe there's argument over being better than Lara but no doubt about the other 2 thou... easily better batsman than Ponting and slightly ahead of Steve Waugh.
Care to go into some reasoning with that?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, in the history books of cricket, Lara and Sachin will be in different league and Waugh , as good as he was, will not be mentioned in the same page and rightly so. He just wasn't in the same league.

R_D

International Debutant
Care to go into some reasoning with that?
No need to waste time filling out few pages... making tit for tat comments.
Well known fact that Lara and Tendulkar are considered the best batsman of their era... while good as Waugh was but he is not highly regarded as the other 2... only need to check the opinions of many cricket historians, writers, commentators etc.
Ponting may one day be considered as good as Lara and Tendulkar but he still has a long way to go before being considered good as them.

sideshowtim

Banned
No need to waste time filling out few pages... making tit for tat comments.
Well known fact that Lara and Tendulkar are considered the best batsman of their era... while good as Waugh was but he is not highly regarded as the other 2... only need to check the opinions of many cricket historians, writers, commentators etc.
Ponting may one day be considered as good as Lara and Tendulkar but he still has a long way to go before being considered good as them.
A long way to go? What a joke.

He has hit 34 Test tons and is averaging 58.53 from 116 Tests. Lara and Tendulkar were considered greats with records nowhere near as impressive as these.