• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was better?

• Total voters

Chrish

International Debutant
Both of them were clearly better than Lara IMO.

Viv, Tendy, Sobers and Hobbs are the strongest contenders for 2nd best batsman of all time..

For me, Viv > Tendy > Sobers

Not really sure where to rank Hobbs as I personally find it impossible to compare him with the others.

Last edited:

Johan

U19 12th Man
As I pointed out earlier, back in 2009 this forum ranked Tendulkar above Viv Richards.
Sobers and Hobbs ranked ahead of both while Viv tops on here Lara too. Only Viv fans resort to appeals to this kind of subjective ethereal logic.
I reffered to the sheer gap ( 20-8 ) in the poll rather then the result of the poll ( in favour of sachin )

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reffered to the sheer gap ( 20-8 ) in the poll rather then the result of the poll ( in favour of sachin )
But that could just mean a lot of people have Tendulkar ahead barely. I do. I think it's close between them but Tendulkar excels more at things I personally value. And there's also a joke option in the poll which skews the results. A lot of people have seen these exact comparison threads a million times already and so don't respond to them seriously.

Johan

U19 12th Man
But that could just mean a lot of people have Tendulkar ahead barely. I do. I think it's close between them but Tendulkar excels more at things I personally value. And there's also a joke option in the poll which skews the results. A lot of people have seen these exact comparison threads a million times already and so don't respond to them seriously.
I see , that could also be true like a Marshall v Mcgrath type case.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
True may be for you as a Lara fan but not for the majority of experts and players and not objectively.
Definitely not majority of the players and experts and very definitely not objectively.

I was just being a bit lighthearted in my original post but pretty sure there is literally no conclusive opinion among experts and players. Of course, if you wanna consider both Test and ODIs then Sachin wins pretty clearly but just in tests, for me Lara is better by a small but clear margin.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely not majority of the players and experts and very definitely not objectively.

I was just being a bit lighthearted in my original post but pretty sure there is literally no conclusive opinion among experts and players. Of course, if you wanna consider both Test and ODIs then Sachin wins pretty clearly but just in tests, for me Lara is better by a small but clear margin.
Sachin has more runs at a higher average than Lara. Both have all-round records. Most of the ATG teams from former players and experts have Sachin over Lara. Lara has some huge scores mixed with low scores while Sachin wins over him in consistency as well.

So there is no way Lara wins over Sachin objectively.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sachin has more runs at a higher average than Lara. Both have all-round records. Most of the ATG teams from former players and experts have Sachin over Lara. Lara has some huge scores mixed with low scores while Sachin wins over him in consistency as well.

Nah... the most experts thing is just whatsapp forward nonsense and if higher average is the criteria then Sanga >> Sachin.

And I am not saying Lara wins over Sachin objectively. I am just saying there is no clear winner as far as tests are concerned and that is why it boils down to what you give weightage to and based on what I have seen, I just back Lara to score more runs and have more impact than Sachin if they were playing against the same set of bowlers in the same conditions as far as test cricket goes.

subshakerz

International Coach

Lara doesn't have an all-round record though. Sachin does.

subshakerz

International Coach
Nah... the most experts thing is just whatsapp forward nonsense and if higher average is the criteria then Sanga >> Sachin.

And I am not saying Lara wins over Sachin objectively. I am just saying there is no clear winner as far as tests are concerned and that is why it boils down to what you give weightage to and based on what I have seen, I just back Lara to score more runs and have more impact than Sachin if they were playing against the same set of bowlers in the same conditions as far as test cricket goes.
Lara is also more likely to suck in some series against the same bowlers and own them in another series.

I think all said and done, Sachin has an edge over Lara in both record and peer ranking if you look at it objectively, though it's close.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara is also more likely to suck in some series against the same bowlers and own them in another series.

I think all said and done, Sachin has an edge over Lara in both record and peer ranking if you look at it objectively, though it's close.
Nah that's just your schtick of being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Best way to realize you are wrong on CW - saltshakerz has the same opinion. :laugh:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
India’s quality batting options were more plentiful then, no?
He was also nowhere near as bad as Kohli has been. Rahane and Pujara were also bizarrely belatedly dropped; with very little calls to bring in others.

I mean when you had people being like “Dravid > Sachin”…