• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was better?

• Total voters

Slifer

International Captain
Whoever said Sachin is definitely over Lara is high. He edges Lara by a smidgen. For me Sachin edges, it because of his away record and his consistency across teams. Sachin averages 53.9 and Lara 52.9. That difference is down to Lara having far fewer not outs and playing the minnows far less.

Also, I've seen people talk about the weak team Sachin played in. No. Lara has scored a higher percentage of his teams runs over his career than anyone except Bradman and Headley. Fact.

subshakerz

International Coach
Whoever said Sachin is definitely over Lara is high. He edges Lara by a smidgen. For me Sachin edges, it because of his away record and his consistency across teams. Sachin averages 53.9 and Lara 52.9. That difference is down to Lara having far fewer not outs and playing the minnows far less.

Also, I've seen people talk about the weak team Sachin played in. No. Lara has scored a higher percentage of his teams runs over his career than anyone except Bradman and Headley. Fact.
Tendulkar definitely edges over Lara.

subshakerz

International Coach
In his entire career the only things Sachin has done Lara hasn't are his centuries vs Donald and the WWs. I didn't mention Steyn etc because Lara never played him/them.
Tendulkar's 18 years and 157 tests of averaging 59 plus and averaging 45 in every single country. The single greatest longevity achievement perhaps by any batsman.

Lara is still close though.

subshakerz

International Coach
And the other 43 tests??
Those include his teenage years and his decline. Even if you include those, he still has a more rounded record than Lara.

But 157 tests in 18 years is such a huge sample size of consistent elite performance frankly that it is a staggering achievement and always puts me in favor of Tendulkar as the best since Bradman.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The jump between Viv and the next greatest batsman of his generation was much bigger compared to that between Tendulkar and Lara/Ponting. Especially in terms of optics and attacking aesthetics for that era. Only natural for players that played with Richards to rate him the undisputed best among contemporaries.

Kirkut

International Regular
Someone who is playing for their place will face far greater pressure than Sachin who is undroppable.
Cannot really make an apples to apples comparison here when it comes to pressure. The pressure Tendulkar faced was to maintain the high standards set by him throughout his career.

Kirkut

International Regular
I did a 10 minute search and luckily found this post.
The best post to address this thread:

Viv versus SRT is going to stir up strong opinions. Personally I'm not sure who's best, I edge microscopically to Viv. But in certain situations I'd still take the little Indian maestro.

For me Tendulkar is a top of the range Mercedes with a spanking build quality and attention to detail. Even the cup holder is perfectly in sync with the rest of the vehicle.

Viv is a Maseratti. Not the same across the board perfection, but that's not what he's about. It's the noise, the power, the ***iness. The sheer wtf of it all!!

Depends what you favour! Both have their considerable merits

subshakerz

International Coach
The thing that holds Viv back for me is that once he peaked he just got worse as his career progressed, though he was only dire towards 89 onwards. Its similar to Botham. It is a fair critique to say that in his last ten years, he never really hit true consistent greatness, though he was still very good.

I have a preference for cricketers who are able to maintain worldclass form even late in their careers. Viv was so spectacular in the beginning and still ended up with a good record everywhere that he makes up for it, but I think that is a key distinction between him and Tendulkar.

Gob

International Coach
Wonder how things would be perceived had Viv failed to make the 40 odd runs needed in his last innings to maintain a 50 plus average

subshakerz

International Coach
Wonder how things would be perceived had Viv failed to make the 40 odd runs needed in his last innings to maintain a 50 plus average
It would definitely have put a dent in his reputation for those in the next gen who didn't watch him.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
He needed 20 in the last innings to ensure a 50 average and scored 60. There is a youtube clip on this innings.

He was very conservative through the innings, seemingly aware of the landmark. Or someone else made him aware. A very un-Viv like innings !