• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards Voted as County Cricket's Greatest Overseas Player.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I mentioned him. Made his test debut alongside Ponting against SL in late '95. Ponting came in at 5 and got 96, Law at 6 and only had enough time to make an unbeaten 54* before the declaration. Ponting got another 160 odd tests and Law got zero haha. Steve Waugh came back from injury the next test so I guess it makes sense Law would make way and not Ponting however...

Who knows how different things could have been if Law got to play 5 and Ponting 6.

Probably not that much as I guess Ponting's added appeal was that he was doing all his FC success at 21 but still... Law can definitely feel hard done by he didn't get another test. Not only did Boon retire after that series so in theory Law should have been first in line for that vacant middle order spot, he was also hurt by Australia not playing another test series for nearly a whole year - due to the '96 World Cup taking up a giant spot on the cricket calendar when there might have normally been a test tour.

Law actually did really well in that World Cup too, averaging 50 and striking at 85 across 7 games. Makes it even more of a mystery that he was nowhere to be found in selector's minds next season

tony p

First Class Debutant
Maybe it was Law's abrasive nature that rubbed selectors the wrong way? From the outside he seems a difficult person to like. I'm sure i read somewhere, even though he was a gun at Essex, he wasn't as well liked as other overseas players at that County.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking further it appears that the vacant spot left by Boon in the top 6 was given to Michael Bevan in Australia's next test in October 1996.

In between Law's single test in late '95 and this India test Bevan had scored his very famous 78* against the Windies in early '96 as well as also performing fairly well in the World Cup too(him and Law together rescued Australia in the SF) and I guess his ODI average was probably a good 20 runs higher than Law's at that time haha

Bevan was also 2 years younger than Law, a left hander in a middle order that didn't have one and probably producing just as much domestic success as Law and Ponting. So I guess that goes someway to explaining things.

By the time Bevan was discarded for good in '98 it was time for Lehmann to get his long overdue turn, Blewett was given plenty of goes there as well during that time and then Langer and eventually Martyn were recalled.

Poor Law but it just seems like there were several options as equally enticing as him for the selectors

Possibly Blewett shouldn't have been given as long a run in the side though one feels in hindsight

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always thought Hodge was the hardest done by of all that lot. Should've played 100 tests and averaged 50 and would've been remembered as close enough to an ATG imo.

I'd happily watch him bat all day.
Funny how quickly things changed. After that game he would have been thinking "yep it's finally happened, my spot is cemented and time for a long test career". Then dropped literally 2 games later, averaging 60.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Not sure why Viv should be ahead on popularity; Clive was hugely popular at Lancashire and was there for nearly 20 years. And you only have to be 40-odd to remember Lloyd (and you have to be 30-odd to remember Richards, it's not like there's decades between them).

Also Clive probably edges it as a fielder.
I would imagine there is a difference in popularity within a county and nationally, where guys that played tests would likely be more popular due to visability.

Lloyd retired later than I thought. Not a huge difference compared to other leading contenders.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't Brad Hodge have the worst personality in Victoria this side of Dean Jones?

Can't have helped his chances.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think these stats potentially include tour matches as well as normal CC matches.

Viv: 240 matches, 18,080 runs @ 49.26 with 57 tons
Lehmann: 88 matches, 8,871 runs @ 68.76 with 26 tons
Waugh: 82 matches, 6,690 runs @ 59.73 with 22 tons
Hussey: 60 matches. 6,710 @72.93 with 19 tons

I threw in Hussey because when I was a child who used to love flicking through the scorecards on Ceefax, he always seemed to make a big score and I always wondered why he didn't play for England... I'm honestly not sure I realised he was Australian until the 2006/07 Ashes lol.

Edit: Haha, no-one had replied to MrMister when I started typing this post
One of my most distinct memories of the epic 2005 Ashes was how Sky News and Sky Sports News made damn sure to always follow up their Ashes update with a reminder that Mike Hussey was piling on the runs in County cricket. Almost a subliminal campaign to get him selected.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Big problem with Viv is if one has watched him bat live at his peak, the psychological impact simply crushes all intellect (method of formulas, averages etc.).
Mike Holding once said when it came to Viv's batting, he would throw the stats book out of the window. Imran Khan too made a similar statement.

It is tough to call if Viv was the greatest overseas player in County cricket. I generally tend to give it to bowlers, particularly fast bowlers, including Viv's own
Somerset-mate Joel Garner, whose almost always have a hand in their team's overall success.

And as others have pointed out, there definitely were other overseas County batsmen with far greater statistical success.

Nevertheless I can't help but reminisce some of Viv's county performances with sheer awe. I swear some of the stuff he pulled off in County cricket....

Viv vs Marshall
Like the Hampshire vs Glamorgan match in 1990. Glamorgan didn't seem to have any chance of winning. The asking rate was way too high. Finally 14 or
15 runs were required in the final over for Glamorgan to win, which was being bowled by who of all bowlers - Malcolm Marshall.
I am telling what followed next just out of my memory, it has been so long so I could be mixing things up.
Viv got to strike in second ball of that over. First ball that Viv faced from Marshall - a good length ball on the off stump - was drilled into the cover boundary
with such power that Robin Smith who was fielding at cover had absolutely no chance to even react as the ball sped through right next to him.
Next ball from Marshall - an angry bouncer - was hooked out of the ground into the gardens of neighboring flats. And the last scoring ball, an attempted yorker
by Marshall, went whistling to the midwicket boundary as Glamorgan won with 2 balls to spare. The crowd went delirious even though their team just lost.
Even Hampshire players were in awe at what just transpired.

Viv vs Sylvester Clarke
Benson & Hedges Cup Finals in 1981 - YouTube highlights video of this match exists. So nothing much to be said about it. It was Somerset vs Surrey.
West Indian Sylvester Clarke was the lead bowler for Surrey. He was a nasty bowler to say the least. Imran Khan called him the scariest bowler he faced.
Dessie Haynes too put Clarke above all West Indian bowlers of 70s and 80s when it came to pure intimidation (not skill, but intimidation). Surrey batted first,
Joel Garner bowled phenomenally well and Surrey was bowled out for less than 200.

As Somerset came into bat, Sylvester Clarke got their opener in the very first over. Within 2 overs, Somerset was 2 wickets down with Viv at the crease.
Both Surrey & Somerset knew if they get Viv, the match would be over. Clarke & Viv also knew it. Clarke tried hard. Viv negotiated Clarke's testy first spell with
caution. He shielded his batting partner from Clarke, and didn't take any unnecessary risks as is his usual wont. In the end Somerset cantered to victory with
Viv scoring 132 of the 190 odd runs Somerset needed. While Viv kept the scoreboard ticking, he didn't unleash until Somerset came to a stable position.

Viv vs Patrick Patterson in 1985
My favorite batting display of Viv in county cricket came in a rather inconsequential match against Lancashire at Bath in 1985. Neil Fairbrother, who was playing
for Lancashire then, remembered this particular match when he was once asked if Lara was a better batsman than Viv since human mind has a tendency to
romanticize and exaggerate the past. Lancashire had Patrick Patterson who by then was easily the quickest bowler in the world. He was seriously quick those years.
Patterson and Viv had some very fiery encounters in their career, and Patterson didn't seem to particularly like Viv. For, as soon as Viv came into bat, Patterson would
almost always go after Viv, and try to "knock his block off". Viv would invariably take him on.

Two overs of Patterson flew away for 33 runs as a series of supersonic bouncers were countered with flat-batted pulls & hooks. And Patterson was taken off the
attack. Once Viv felt the psychological battle was won, he didn't like to hang around too long. He got out stumped a few overs later. It was a low scoring game,
Somerset won the match by an innings (Garner once again bowled beautifully for Somerset).

In Fairbrother's words "Patto was bowling at the speed of sound, and Viv just stood there and smashed him around. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it."
That brief innings of Viv was enough to convince Fairbrother that Viv was the best batsman he ever saw irrespective of what his stats said.

Viv vs Jeff Thomson & Wayne Daniel
There was another fiery encounter of Viv with Jeff Thomson & fellow West Indian Wayne Daniel when Somerset was playing Middlesex. Mike Selvey (then
playing for Middlesex) and Peter Roebuck (then playing for Somerset) have described this battle in great detail several times.
Thommo himself rated it as one of the fastest spells of his life. Mike Selvey said quality of cricket was from another planet as he and other players quickly rushed through
the overs at one end, just to sit back and watch a masterclass unfold at the other end. Thommo & Wayne Daniel rained bombs at a target who answered fire with fire.
In the end, the honors completely laid with Viv, as he finished with 90 odd runs before getting bowled by an innocuous medium pacer
This encounter between Viv and Thommo sadly did not receive as much global attention as their previous encounter in Barbados in 1978 did.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey averaging 70+ in county cricket opening the batting is pretty insane

Didn't Brad Hodge have the worst personality in Victoria this side of Dean Jones?

Can't have helped his chances.
Seemed like a cool enough guy in the Big Bash