• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli average watch thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mate, I am a huge tennis fan and love the World Tour Finals, and I wish Nadal won it (lost to Fed in the final in 2010 if my memory serves correct). But that tournament has become a joke - the scheduling is ridiculous. Players are exhausted by then and so much tanking happens nowadays in that tournament. Absolutely money spinner.

That being said, Novak won it in 2008 (I think) before it became that, so good on him.

Dare say he'd trade all his World Tour Final trophies for one gold.

indiaholic

International Captain
Mate, I am a huge tennis fan and love the World Tour Finals, and I wish Nadal won it (lost to Fed in the final in 2010 if my memory serves correct). But that tournament has become a joke - the scheduling is ridiculous. Players are exhausted by then and so much tanking happens nowadays in that tournament. Absolutely money spinner.

That being said, Novak won it in 2008 (I think) before it became that, so good on him.

Dare say he'd trade all his World Tour Final trophies for one gold
Bit of a grand slam only tennis fan but I had no idea this was true..

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It isn't. Overrating Olympics medals in tennis is a recent phenomenon. It only became an Olympic sport in 1988, and guys like Sampras used to skip it. No way would anyone trade 5 WTF trophies for an Olympic Gold. ATP gives it the same number of ranking points as an ATP Masters series tournament, which is about right.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man Novak was in tears when Delpo knocked him out this year. Its become a big thing recently.

Fed says one of his career highlights is a ****ing doubles gold medal with Stan ffs. Players tank the World Tour finals and show up to get money.

You're underestimating how much they value the Olympics nowadays. And also how **** the World Tour Finals has become in the last 5 years (I still watch it intently of course)

Last edited:

vcs

I get that. Djoko's a fairly patriotic dude too. But he's got that part covered with his Davis Cup win anyway.

I think Fed might have been a tad facetious with that statement. Maybe he was throwing Stan a bone before he became such a gun in his own right. But that doesn't make it so.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha if you're going to argue away my points by saying "well Novak is patriotic so of course he'll care and I don't believe what Fed was saying" I can't really debate you because I won't convince you.

Agree to disagree.

vcs

No, I agree that the recent top players have given it a lot of importance. Which is good for the sport overall.

But I don't agree with making it more important than WTF wins even if the tournament happens late in the season. You have to beat the top 8 players there, sometimes more than once, to win the thing. Fed and Djokovic have great records there because they are phenomenal indoors players, not because no one else was left standing.

TheJediBrah

Man Novak was in tears when Delpo knocked him out this year. Its become a big thing recently.

Fed says one of his career highlights is a ****ing doubles gold medal with Stan ffs. Players tank the World Tour finals and show up to get money.

You're underestimating how much they value the Olympics nowadays. And also how **** the World Tour Finals has become in the last 5 years (I still watch it intently of course)
I reckon part of this is the players acting it up a bit so it looks like they are all about their patriotic loyalty rather than personal achievements & finances

It's what I'd do tbh

morgieb

Are cricinfo's averages in the profile "live"?

Showing as 48.28 but not sure if that's current. Was the 235 enough to get it over the line?
No. But you can find his live average on Statsguru or the Career Averages page on the match scorecard.

It's currently 50.53, ftr.

Bijed

International Regular
No. But you can find his live average on Statsguru or the Career Averages page on the match scorecard.

It's currently 50.53, ftr.
You can scroll down to the bit at the bottom of the cricinfo profile with the graphs too, which updates to the 'live' stats every few minutes or so

Not sure if that works on phones, though

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Showing as 48.28 but not sure if that's current. Was the 235 enough to get it over the line?
His profile page won't update until the conclusion of this game but if you go into the statsguru career analysis that'll be up to date.

TheJediBrah

Given that he was averaging over 50 at 147* or whatever it was at the start of this thread, adding anything over 50 and getting out would lead to the same average

(Just thought this question deserved a 5th, less educated answer)