• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli average watch thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was only a matter of time that he'd be in the >50 club though, too good a player to average sub-50 for long.

flibbertyjibber

Not a shock he has got there, only surprise is that he has gone from mid 40's to over 50 in a few weeks. Playing superbly and wouldn't bet against another ton next week.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He'll need a red inker here to keep the ave above 50 though.

But yeah, if it's not this test or series it's only a matter of time. There were arguments a while back that he was't quite up with the Smith's, Roots and KW's in tests.........I think we can confidently put that to bed now. Could quite possibly be heading the list itbt.

TheJediBrah

Kohli and Smith are heading it comfortably IMO

KW has fallen off and I haven't really paid attention to Joe much lately so **** him

Zinzan

Kohli and Smith are heading it comfortably IMO

KW has fallen off and I haven't really paid attention to Joe much lately so **** him
Disagree, If we're talking Tests, I have Root as no. 1.

If we're talking all forms combined, then it's Kohli , followed by AB & Warner.

Zinzan

Root is trailing by a lot in the 100s column tho

I'd have him 4th
I'm possibly overly influenced by how they look at the crease.

Root just seems like he's only ever going to get himself out. Just makes batting look ridiculously easy, which can be said for the others, but in Root's case, it's in all conditions.

Best allround Test bat in the world. Man for all conditions.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah Kohli's conversion rate is pretty incredible. And he's made every hundred a big one recently. Just seems to go on and on and doesn't throw it away and get out for 116 like he used to.

Daemon

So it's 89/93/107 in the 3 formats this year then. I know i posted this elsewhere but I just can't get over it. Ridiculous.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree, If we're talking Tests, I have Root as no. 1.

If we're talking all forms combined, then it's Kohli , followed by AB & Warner.
I don't think there is any argument whatsoever when talking all formats.........it's Kohli by a country mile, it's not even remotely close.

But just talking tests here, I must say (and I am surprising myself by even posting this) that I think Root is starting to get a little overated on here. I mean he is a fantastic batsmen and is certainly in the fab 4 tier, but I've seen you and a few others claiming he's out in front now and tbh, even with my red, white and blue blinkers on, I just can't see it.

His conversion rate is still not where it should be, and as much as I ****ing hate Steve Smith and think he is as ugly as sin to watch bat.........man you just can't argue with his numbers and when, where and how he scores his runs. Then there is this absolutely ridiculous year that Kohli is having in tests............I've got Root third in line tbh.

Rootfan

Banned
Root seems to be a man for all conditions but his away record is more reflective of where he actually is at. 3 away centuries overall: 1 vs SA with no Steyn or Philander, 1 vs WI and 1 in the first test vs India on the flattest deck of the series by far. Poor Abd and Amla got atrocious pitches where no one bar Rahane made scores of any note. Ickle Rootie gets the flattest deck in India for a good year or two. Regardless, he has 8 tons at home to 3 tons away. Kohli has 6 at home and 9 away(8 away from the SC which is much more than UAE Khan could muster). People go on and on about Kohli in England, yet no one talks about Root's series in Australia and New Zealand.

Smith is the best batsman in the world, Kohli and Warner are 2nd and 3rd in whatever order. Then Williamson/Root.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Root seems to be a man for all conditions but his away record is more reflective of where he actually is at. 3 away centuries overall: 1 vs SA with no Steyn or Philander, 1 vs WI and 1 in the first test vs India on the flattest deck of the series by far. Poor Abd and Amla got atrocious pitches where no one bar Rahane made scores of any note. Ickle Rootie gets the flattest deck in India for a good year or two. Regardless, he has 8 tons at home to 3 tons away. Kohli has 6 at home and 9 away(8 away from the SC which is much more than UAE Khan could muster). People go on and on about Kohli in England, yet no one talks about Root's series in Australia and New Zealand.

Smith is the best batsman in the world, Kohli and Warner are 2nd and 3rd in whatever order. Then Williamson/Root.
No........not in tests he's not.

Bloody good batsmen and opening the batting in any current world 11, but he is not in the Kohli, Smith, Root, KW level.

Edit:

and btw. the "Root" in your user name........can I assume that is Root as in ****ing rather than Root as in Joe?

Last edited:

Zinzan

I don't think there is any argument whatsoever when talking all formats.........it's Kohli by a country mile, it's not even remotely close.
Across all forms, Kohli is the best currently, but not quite the country mile you're making out.

Poor AB, gets one injury and everyone forgets we were taking about him as possibly a better ODI bat than Viv just 12 months ago, saying nothing of his >50 Test batting average. Who ever said cricket fans aren't fickle?

The there's this chap named David Warner who has pretty damn phenomenal across all forms too.

So yeah, Kohli for me too, but let's not get carried away with talk of it not even being remotely close.

Rootfan

Banned
No........not in tests he's not.

Bloody good batsmen and opening the batting in any current world 11, but he is not in the Kohli, Smith, Root, KW level.

Edit:

and btw. the "Root" in your user name........can I assume that is Root as in ****ing rather than Root as in Joe?
Mixed up formats. Warner has been less than impressive in tests lately. He's got 7 ODI tons this year that's amazing. To put that in perspective, Inzamam had 10 in his entire career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What stands out is his discipline. Remember, for all the bravura and the sledging and the attitude, he started off as a very limited player technically esp. at the international level. The talent was obvious but the way the man has worked on the stuff he was not good at is what is amazing. A lot of Sachin as far as that side is concerned and yet, as a batsman he is willing and looking to dominate in any form of the game, a lot of Lara there. Seems to just work out when to suddenly go ablaze and when to just pull it back in, which can be the hardest part for a strokemaker when they are playing the longer format.

Rootfan

Banned
For the stat fans:

Both Kohli and Root are playing their 52nd match currently. Root has played 6 innings more for an extra 300 odd runs, has 4 hundreds less and 11(!) fifties more. Needs to make more tons away from home though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Across all forms, Kohli is the best currently, but not quite the country mile you're making out.

Poor AB, gets one injury and everyone forgets we were taking about him as possibly a better ODI bat than Viv just 12 months ago, saying nothing of his >50 Test batting average. Who ever said cricket fans aren't fickle?

The there's this chap named David Warner who has pretty damn phenomenal across all forms too.

So yeah, Kohli for me too, but let's not get carried away with talk of it not even being remotely close.
Yeah fair call, but (and I could be wrong) I don't think AB or Warner ever strung it together in all 3 formats for a long period like Kohli has. When Warner was gunning it in tests his ODI game wasn't there........and now it's gone vice versa.

This may be a really dumb question but I don't follow the format that closely......but has ABDv done much impressive in T20?