• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vernon Philander - Here to stay, or a Flash in the pan?

pitchvision

Cricket Spectator
Staying injury-free is probably the highest priority (as it is for all bowlers). The s&C guy will be under pressure to make him bulletproof.

Ruckus

International Captain
One thing to note is he's definitely a bit slower than young McGrath, and doesn't have quite the steep-ish bounce the latter used to extract. I don't see him becoming a trundler exactly, but he'll probably settle into the Shaun Pollock mould. SA will be pretty happy with that eventuality.
Yep that's the big difference for me, obviously due to his lack of height compared to McGrath. What is Philander, about 5'9" or 10? He does seem to get the ball to skid a fair bit off the surface though which could compensate for the smaller amount of bounce. Looks like someone who'd be described as bowling a heavy ball I reckon. Not sure he'll settle into being a Pollock like bowler though...just look at their respective SR's in FC and that could give some indication...

Spark

Global Moderator
I agree, and I don't think any of the pitches Philander has bowled on have been helpful. He just makes it look that way because he's a ****ing good bowler.
You kidding? Did you see the Cape Town pitch?

The Wanderers had a fair bit of seam + carry through as well

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Short answer, yes, I'm guessing he's here to stay. His bowling reminds me a bit of Mohammad Asif's, only better, and that's saying something.

Jacknife

International Captain
Short answer, yes, I'm guessing he's here to stay. His bowling reminds me a bit of Mohammad Asif's, only better, and that's saying something.
Yes thought the same, little bit quicker but doesn't get the bounce Asif got, does similar things with the ball and works batmen out in a similar fashion.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
You kidding? Did you see the Cape Town pitch?

The Wanderers had a fair bit of seam + carry through as well
I'll admit that I didn't watch that particular game so I'm talking out of my arse a bit, but he hasn't had anything even resembling a "bad" game yet, and they definitely haven't all been helpful surfaces.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunedin wasn't helpful at all. The other bowlers looked completely toothless but he was a constant threat, in the first innings especially.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes thought the same, little bit quicker but doesn't get the bounce Asif got, does similar things with the ball and works batmen out in a similar fashion.
I think they're about the same speed-wise, both primarily operate between 133-138 km from memory of Asif's bowling.

Xuhaib

International Coach
on current form still think Broad edges Philande,r his efforts in UAE was a stuff of dreams for those pitches.

Heboric

International Debutant
Rubbish.

Even if you concede South Africa have the best 2 pacers, the rest of a composite top 10 is dominated by England.

Steyn
Philander
Anderson
Broad
Swann
Bresnan/Tremlett/Morkel
Finn
Panesar
Is this a joke post I am missing

Its not the Proteas fault our bowlers rarely get injured. I am sure if that had to happen, other bowlers would step up. Its not just England bowlers that can learn (that old chestnut).

Maybe Majola actually did something right and not kill our bowlers by having 7 ODi series's :ph34r:

Heboric

International Debutant
You can't rate bowlers in Tests when they haven't played Tests...
I am not trying to compare non-test bowlers with test bowlers. All I am saying teams whose bowlers get injured have a chance of unearthing a new bowler more than a team whose bowlers dont get injured.as much. Just imagine a country sending a weakened team on purpose.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Aren't you guys completely ignoring the recently resurgent Siddle, Hilfenhaus, along with people like Pattinson? If Tremlett and Bresnan get a shoe-in on the back of ten odd Tests, and Finn who hasn't been in the playing eleven for some time, then I'm sure those three have an equal claim to the top bracket.

And there's no mention of a certain Ajmal who on current exploits is some distance ahead of Swann.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Aren't you guys completely ignoring the recently resurgent Siddle, Hilfenhaus, along with people like Pattinson? If Tremlett and Bresnan get a shoe-in on the back of ten odd Tests, and Finn who hasn't been in the playing eleven for some time, then I'm sure those three have an equal claim to the top bracket.

And there's no mention of a certain Ajmal who on current exploits is some distance ahead of Swann.
I believe 'composite' referred to England and South Africa rather than the entire world.

Heboric

International Debutant
In that case I really don't see how your post is a reply to GF's...
Well how many of those England bowlers named would get a look in if the regular bowlers werernt injured.

And to include Panesar after one series against a poor batting line up but fails to mention Paul Harris (say what you will, he did his job what he was picked for). Heck might as well mention De Lange as well after one performance