• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Usman Khawaja - Should he have a contract?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Many, including former captain Michael Clarke has been left staggered by Usman Khawaja’s snubbing from Cricket Australia’s 20-man central contract list.

There have been suggestions, after scenes in "The Test" were revealed, that a couple of his clashes with Justin Langer might have been a factor.

There is no doubt that his performances over the 2015 to 2019 period illustrate he has been a good servant in Test cricket. In that period he played 35 Tests scored 8 centuries and 12 fifties while averaging 44.8

Perhaps his performances against different nations might reveal a small problem. Against England he averages 29.9, India (28.3) and Sri Lanka (26.4) compared with his performances against New Zealand (72.6) and Pakistan (70.9). With only 2 innings against each of West Indies and Bangladesh it would be inappropriate to judge his averages (100.0 and 1.0).

The man himself feels he still has something to offer. Will he get a reprieve?

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He needs to learn to stop clashing with Langer if that documentary is anything to go by

learn to suck up and kiss butt Khawaja

Flem274*

123/5
he should quit while he's ahead. with some of the turgid nick he's experienced in test cricket the fact he still has 8 tons and an average of 40 is impressive. it's pretty staggering given he's been in and out of the side.

i'd consider him for the opener spot now that burns is struggling to score runs even at home. im leaning towards patterson getting a look at wades spot, because wade isn't much.

cnerd123

likes this
He's 33, could make some good money playing franchise cricket around the world, and definitely seems to enjoy being a freelancer more anyways - don't have to deal with the same coach day in and day out, figure out your own training.

He would do well to retire and focus on that, as cynical as that may seem.

Gnske

Probably, I'd rather have him as a backup opener than anyone else in the country.

He'll be back. Agree with ***** though oddly enough, he can either live with Langer's uber-nationalistic, spiritual white girl chakra theology or travel the world making big bucks while you can.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's 33, could make some good money playing franchise cricket around the world, and definitely seems to enjoy being a freelancer more anyways - don't have to deal with the same coach day in and day out, figure out your own training.

He would do well to retire and focus on that, as cynical as that may seem.
Not the worst suggestion. He's proven to be a pretty incredible franchise T20 player in the Big Bash. Not sure how it will translate to playing in Asia, and he would need to open. Can't see him being much use to an IPL/BPL/PSL side as a middle-order player.

mr_mister

WTF man....this is such a terrible take.
recently I saw you discussing online dating with trundler and you said 'you end up paying for it one way or another kid' or something like that in response to trundler scoffing at the idea of you having to pay for premium dating app features

and I thought damn Adders is woke he knows the reality of life, he ain't worried about looking cool

and since that post I actually stumbled upon the movie The Last Detail for the first time ever and was surprised to find that quote in the movie... then I thought damn Adders know the cold reality of life and knows good Nicholson movies

and here we are. You've gotta suck up to the boss! There's no room for rebels in the Australian test team!

Last edited:

mr_mister

what do the kids call it again? being a simp? we're all simps sometimes in life there's no point pretending otherwise

cnerd123

likes this
There are a lot of other smaller, shadier franchise leagues he could get gigs at purely based on star power

Burgey

I don’t get why you all think he clashes with Langer. If that’s your idea of clashing with someone then I feel sorry for you guys because it’s probably the simpiest take I’ve ever heard on anything

stephen

He clashed with Langer. Langer is the kind of guy who doesn't really tolerate people talking back to him at all. There's a reason Khawaja said that the other players were all treading on eggshells around him.

mr_mister

Yeah I heard that from a mate but didn't know the extent of it or the specifics

Is there a way to watch this thing for free?

Burgey

That's just bollocks. What's your basis for saying that? He literally asks players and the other coaching staff for their opinions on things he's doing all the time ffs. And surrounds himself with blokes whose stature as players and icons of Australian cricket leave him for dead. You don't do that if you're as insecure as he's being portrayed here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of his. Always called him the Brown Nosed Dwarf when he was playing under Waugh. But I don't think he deserves the characterization he's copping here at all tbh