• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Usman Khawaja - Should he have a contract?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely he is. Got a lot of that **** from Waugh tbh. Probably the most cringe thing I've ever seen from a sporting side was the 2001 Ashes team at Gallipoli on its way to the UK and in trenches wearing slouch hats. Just woeful.

But that wasn't what he and Khawaja disagreed about. They had some discussions at one point where Langer asked the group about whether there were issues they had with his approach or something and Khawaja is like "Honestly Alf, I think the blokes are scared of you" or something like that, because of his stature as a player compared with their own. Langer seemed to think that wasn't right, but I didn't get that as the reason Khawaja was rissoled. He'd basically had a welter of chances as a senior pro, especially during the home summer before the Ashes and done **** all. I wouldn't blame Langer and the selectors losing patience with him after all that. Fmd it took them about 6 months longer than it took me. He was embarrassing vs India at home, and no better in the Ashes. Though tbf that was a tough series for all the batsmen not called TPC.

Burgey

I do think he should be i the frame as a reserve opener at home though, as the other options aren't that great. Unless Labushagne loses all form, Khawaja is done at three while Smith, KPat, Head etc have a lock on the middle spots you'd reckon - they're unproven save Smith, but have youth on their side.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do think he should be i the frame as a reserve opener at home though, as the other options aren't that great. Unless Labushagne loses all form, Khawaja is done at three while Smith, KPat, Head etc have a lock on the middle spots you'd reckon - they're unproven save Smith, but have youth on their side.
Do you think Wade will get another go next season (if there is one)? He didn't exactly light up last summer, but something always seems to come between Patterson and a spot in the team.

Spikey

we talked about this a month ago so you can just find our posts from then

but in short, he should be the opener and that was the obvious route to take during the ashes. whether he gets a short again depends on how the india series goes. australia lose a test and Burns fails, Usman will be right in with a shot. if burns survives this summer, usman will probably be done

stephen

Yeah Khawaja is a better batsman than Burns and Burns wasn't exactly scoring mountains of runs last summer. Honestly I'd probably take whichever of them looks in the best nick at the start of the shield season.

Starfighter

I still think that they've pigeon-holed him as a no. 3, the India series a case in point where he batted three even though he's succeeded opening and Finch opened even though he scored his Shield runs at 5.

Burgey

I still think that they've pigeon-holed him as a no. 3, the India series a case in point where he batted three even though he's succeeded opening and Finch opened even though he scored his Shield runs at 5.
Yeah wasn’t that a cluster**** of a decision? I wonder if he was given the option of where to bat or if they picked him there and that was it.

Burgey

Do you think Wade will get another go next season (if there is one)? He didn't exactly light up last summer, but something always seems to come between Patterson and a spot in the team.
Not sure tbh. Tends to be if you play a part with decent performances in an Ashes win You get a fair bit of leeway. As it should be I suppose, given it’s the biggest series in world cricket

Starfighter

Yeah wasn’t that a cluster**** of a decision? I wonder if he was given the option of where to bat or if they picked him there and that was it.
Pretty sure it was a Langer brainwave with a combination of his having presentable shield numbers and his opening in ODIs. At least that's how it came across at the time.

When he had his stumps shattered by Sharma I knew it was going to be a tough summer.

Burgey

Yeah thought if he played it should have been in the middle order at home. In the doco series someone says that at a coach’s or selection meeting actually, can’t remember who it was.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
should’ve been the man they sent up to open for bancroft in place of marcus harris, who never should’ve sniffed the test team in england, or here for that matter.

and if you want to get extra spicy, he should have replaced warner - to open with burns, who should have been partnering warner to begin with as at the start of the last ashes

stephen

When Finch was opening Langer said in no uncertain terms that he opens or he doesn't play. It was on camera in The Test series.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
recently I saw you discussing online dating with trundler and you said 'you end up paying for it one way or another kid' or something like that in response to trundler scoffing at the idea of you having to pay for premium dating app features

and I thought damn Adders is woke he knows the reality of life, he ain't worried about looking cool

and since that post I actually stumbled upon the movie The Last Detail for the first time ever and was surprised to find that quote in the movie... then I thought damn Adders know the cold reality of life and knows good Nicholson movies

and here we are. You've gotta suck up to the boss! There's no room for rebels in the Australian test team!

Lol, I got no idea what that movie is.

But I strongly disagree with you here. Bosses (all of them) need to be challenged on occasion.

Yeah I heard that from a mate but didn't know the extent of it or the specifics

Is there a way to watch this thing for free?
I'm sure we've discussed this before? Just get the Amazon 1 mth free trial and cancel the subscription once you've watched it.