• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

US deal!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am not disputing any of that - I'm just saying that it's a long way from soccer just in terms of pure awareness.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh @ break the market. Good luck to them and all but damn, the American sporting scene is saturated enough.

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't understand how it'll work, tbh. Why would Americans want to watch NZers (or any other team for that matter) play T20's there? Given the time zone differences, how does playing in the US as a sort of second home benefit kiwi viewers back at home?
Agreed. This thing won't go anywhere and estimates like $1billion in revenues are ludicrous. Though I can see some long-term potential for TT to gain popularity in the US and around the world it's not going to happen because of a bunch of NZ players playing games there.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think we (NZ) are just getting into this market so we can end up playing the US in a few years time when no one else (even Zimbabwe or Bangladesh) will want to play us, due to our awful Associate-level side.

juro

U19 12th Man
Players squabbling about money makes no sense right now. USACA are virtually bankrupt at the moment. Why not wait until those millions being mentioned actually start hitting their bank account?

jashan83

U19 Captain
Heh @ break the market. Good luck to them and all but damn, the American sporting scene is saturated enough.
Very true. The market is really competitive too. With now private parties coming in US, ICC should start focusing on certain markets where ROI would be much higher:- HPP Members plus Nep, Uganda, Namibia, Malaysia, UAE etc

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Players squabbling about money makes no sense right now. USACA are virtually bankrupt at the moment. Why not wait until those millions being mentioned actually start hitting their bank account?
I thought those millions were going to revolutionise the game in the USA and make it a world power, not be dished out to 1 team?

jashan83

U19 Captain
I thought those millions were going to revolutionise the game in the USA and make it a world power, not be dished out to 1 team?
They would definitely do some good. It will certainly raise the levels of cricket to the top 6 associates.
Also the IPL style league would do something to increase the awareness. Having said that we must understand with this 9 million it wont spread like wild fire. It will help in somewhat forming a base and hopefully more money comes to cement that base.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There is no way on Earth that $9m will improve the USA team enough to challenge the likes of Ireland, Kenya etc/

What is this IPL style league you're talking about, and where's that going to be funded from, because unlike the IPL there's no money from broadcasting rights.

jashan83

U19 Captain
There is no way on Earth that $9m will improve the USA team enough to challenge the likes of Ireland, Kenya etc/

What is this IPL style league you're talking about, and where's that going to be funded from, because unlike the IPL there's no money from broadcasting rights.
Will it improve will it not, only time will tell, but your same line without a change has come so many times in so many posts. For you I will say, let's Hope for the Best and be prepared for the Worst. I see the glass as half full, your view point may be different, and I don want to try to change it. Atleast I see everything with optimism and simply dont dismiss with pessimism, and remain in a shell

There is a Twenty-20 leagues proposed, by Cricket Holding USA. How, where, money will come is being talked by all USACA, Poddars & NZC and what they say is it will be IPL style. They surely have ICC's blessing, maybe some South Asian, Kiwi, Australian and West Indians stars are roped, or how ever, the thinking must be doing. Whatever level this league created it will create some buzz, big or small again, the same line. I see the glass as Half full. Cricket due to IPL has already has created some buzz on cricket. Go and check New York Times today, besides the Big 4 games of American Football, Baseball, Ice Hockey & Basket Ball, it got a huge article on IPL auctions besides very small ones on Tennis, Golf and Football.
9 Million might look small, yes may be less, but it gives a start. AS already pointed in the chain, the Budget of Bangladesh is 2 M$. Bangladesh is a huge country, with 180 Million population and if you take purchase parity, then BCB budget becomes 8 M USD to a US budget of 5 M USD for first year. Money is never extra, it is how it is used.

Last edited:

juro

U19 12th Man
Obviously it would not all be spent on the senior mens team but you would imagine at least some would go toward them...