• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

jcas0167

International Debutant
Simon Doull speaking to Martin Devlin today and comparing Kane's record against the big 3 (India, Australia, England) vs Crowe's record against the big 3 of his generation (Australia, West Indies , Pakistan) . And in the process, Crowe's record standing up better than Kane's who's runs are coming against easier opposition.. Food for thought at least when comparing the two greats on who comes out on top.

Crowe did get big wraps from Wasim Akram for the way he handled reverse swing.Screenshot_20240307-160048_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
North Harbour Stadium was a great ground to play at, but **** having to get there. No no no no. Western Springs would have been better, and actually the best option if we're talking logistically would have been Victoria Park. I presume that would be a public access issue that they don't want to take away a big chunk of land in the CBD from the residents.
As a wise man once posted...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Dylan Cleaver in 2012
Oh okay that'll be where I got my opinion from :laugh:

I don't know who the club delegate is, but they're spot on: As one club delegate said: “This is Auckland; somebody will find a reason not to get this done.”

The fact that there are still people in power at Auckland Cricket who think Merton Road is anything other than a busted arse option is frightening. And seemingly, from what I read in Cleaver's latest post, is that they think Merton Road can work as a Test venue and Eden Park can remain as a white ball venue. It is truly bizarre how frightened some people are regarding change. Eden Park is ****ed as a cricket venue. Actually, it's pretty ****ed as a rugby ground, too, given its location (although I will acknowledge Kingsland has moved forward somewhat).

Please, please, please let us move forward with our biggest city and its stadia.

Flem274*

123/5
Eden Park is awesome for rugby. Free train from city centre to the ground. Was easier than getting to literally 90% of nz sports grounds.

Just need to increase the speed and regularity of Te Huia and you could leave Hamilton at 4 to be at the game in time, but the powers that be modernise glacially.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My only reservation with the Vic Park idea is the (admittedly pretty rare) occasion when a 15,000 capacity wouldn't be enough - white-ball games against Australia or India, or when we're co-hosting World Cups. I'd hope there would be a way to fit a few more people in when needed. I wouldn't really want to see the highest-profile games held at the Cake Tin.

thierry henry

International Coach
Eden Park is ****ed as a cricket venue. Actually, it's pretty ****ed as a rugby ground, too, given its location (although I will acknowledge Kingsland has moved forward somewhat).
I've never really understood this. Eden Park is pretty much city fringe and people talk about it like it's in deepest darkest suburbia. It's also right next to the train station which is about as good as you're gonna get for public transport in Auckland.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I've never really understood this. Eden Park is pretty much city fringe and people talk about it like it's in deepest darkest suburbia. It's also right next to the train station which is about as good as you're gonna get for public transport in Auckland.
NZC could buy seize Royal Grange golf course and then you'd be right at Middlemore train station. Grow the game in South Auckland and piss off rich golf wankers all at once - win win.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean more in terms of what is available pre and post match. That's why I acknowledged that Kingsland has moved forward of late. I guess I compare it to Melbourne, and also I haven't lived in Auckland for a time.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My only reservation with the Vic Park idea is the (admittedly pretty rare) occasion when a 15,000 capacity wouldn't be enough - white-ball games against Australia or India, or when we're co-hosting World Cups. I'd hope there would be a way to fit a few more people in when needed. I wouldn't really want to see the highest-profile games held at the Cake Tin.
Why not just make it a little bit bigger - say 20k? Build some nice grass banks or something. The actual increase in the physical footprint of the stadium would be very small.

Not the only city with this attitude. Here in Canberra there's constant arguments over trying to replace the current rugby stadium, because a very vocal lobby wants it on an unsuitable inner city site that would be extremely expensive to build on, when the existing stadium is easer to get to for about three-quarters of the population.

Ghost75

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pace bowling stocks going forwards not looking as bad as we might have thought
Henry/Jamieson proven
Sears/O’Rourke early days but promising
Smith best not yet to play for NZ
Fisher/Clarke/Foulkes building very handy domestic records
Abbas/McKenzie batting all founders who could send down a few

Last edited:

Ghost75

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Henry/Jamieson proven
Just saw @thundaboult posted almost exactly the same thing in the tour thread😁. Left-armers a bit rare ATM. Toole and Lister the only likely options?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Henry/Jamieson proven
12 to 18 months ago none of these guys might've rated a mention and our stocks looked to be all about 30 or older. Just hope they can all stay on the park, and we bring them into the side sensibly and don't rely on old heads too long

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, does anyone else think that the ongoing audible resentment of Kugz's place in the side by NZ crowds has played a not insignificant part in how poorly he bowled this series. Especially given that he bowled kinda not-terribly on day 1 and then just got progressively worse and worse as the series progressed. He must be aware of a lot of the chat about him on social media, and he must've heard the boos when he came out to bat/bowl throughout this series. I really hope so, anyway.

Chubb

International Regular
IIRC someone on here who played grade cricket against Kuggs (or knew people who did) said he gets angry if anyone brings it up on the field, and cranks up the speed if they face him.