• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Should point out, about our hopeless domestic calendar/schedule.

That Australia have been playing (I think) 3 rounds of Sheffield Shield since their test series v Windies finished. So, out of form guys like Labuschagne etc have been getting opportunities to regain form.

We have selected the questionable squad inclusion of Kuggeleijn, based on 3 month old red-ball form. Still selecting Wagner based on a single Shield match in October? and a predictably average test v SAF?

Maybe a Duffy or Smith would be putting up a challenge if numpties could organise a season.

It would be good in future if NZC could sell a shared TV rights for the Super Smash between TVNZ and Sky (like 7 and Fox in Aus). So that we can gets some examples of 2 matches a day, all televised, and compress that comp by 2 weeks.

Or. A simpler solution, though, would to be how they scheduled the Ford Trophy.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ford Trophy scheduling is really weird. Kind of wish they just got it out of the way at the start of Summer

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One suspects that the NZC is already looking hard at the cost:benefit ratio the Ford Trophy currently offers. Wouldn't be hugely surprised to see it cut down to a 5 round competition in a year or two.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

the state of this article tho
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The absolute state of it. The timing is so weird, too - we've just been trounced 3-0 in a series where horrible catching and poor batting plans/strategy were a large part of our failure, and then up pops a puff piece for the coach, who is responsible for those things. It's such a bizarre article, full of inaccuracies. It says his tenure got off to a shaky start when he was slated by Jeremy Coney for being AWOL for a week in our home summer...that was 18 months into the job.

No mention that Gary Stead has coached us in 19 games v Australia, we've won four of them, and none were 50-over or Test matches.

As for blunders being few...let me just list the ones off the top of my head, without even trying. Picking Scott K/Tickner for the Mount D/N Test in 2022 then watching England destroy us with movement under lights; failing to back Ajaz after his 10/14-for in Mumbai; setting a flamethrower to Will Young's career by making him open; trying to tell the public they shouldn't expect to win; batting Santner at 3 the other night; backing Nicholls for so long despite him being cooked, including in the ODI side; failed to convince Trent to play at the Mount in 2022 (I believe a charismatic leader would've got this done); said the Duke ball swung more than they'd anticipated in England; taking a one-week break in the job on the back of an eight-game losing streak; and a host of boring, uninspired selections throughout his tenure.

I'm sure there's several more.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The absolute state of it. The timing is so weird, too - we've just been trounced 3-0 in a series where horrible catching and poor batting plans/strategy were a large part of our failure, and then up pops a puff piece for the coach, who is responsible for those things. It's such a bizarre article, full of inaccuracies. It says his tenure got off to a shaky start when he was slated by Jeremy Coney for being AWOL for a week in our home summer...that was 18 months into the job.

No mention that Gary Stead has coached us in 19 games v Australia, we've won four of them, and none were 50-over or Test matches.

As for blunders being few...let me just list the ones off the top of my head, without even trying. Picking Scott K/Tickner for the Mount D/N Test in 2022 then watching England destroy us with movement under lights; failing to back Ajaz after his 10/14-for in Mumbai; setting a flamethrower to Will Young's career by making him open; trying to tell the public they shouldn't expect to win; batting Santner at 3 the other night; backing Nicholls for so long despite him being cooked, including in the ODI side; failed to convince Trent to play at the Mount in 2022 (I believe a charismatic leader would've got this done); said the Duke ball swung more than they'd anticipated in England; taking a one-week break in the job on the back of an eight-game losing streak; and a host of boring, uninspired selections throughout his tenure.

I'm sure there's several more.
sometimes a wonder if Stead actually wants to win games

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I worked with Brendan Egan for two years. I like and respect him, but I don't agree with his analysis in that article.
Nah, I don't get it. And it's just weirdly timed - after a 3-0 series whitewash and public opinion right against him/them. It's quite bizarre.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
You know what would be a great place for an A tour? South Africa. Even just a tour with 2 FC & 3 OD matches would be brilliant.

I would probably take a slightly youth-oriented squad there, for two reasons:
  1. From the sounds of it, NZ could be touring SA in the 2027-9 WTC. The 4-day matches would be important to try out any player, bowlers especially, who may play in that tour to give them experience in those conditions
  2. Take anyone who could even slightly be in contention for the 2027 WC for the One-Dayers. We don't play in SA before then, & only face them outside ICC events in a T20 Tri Series in Zimbabwe mid next year. For that reason, in next year's Zimbabwe tour, the ODI & Test squads should be slightly experimental, just trying out a couple of guys, the likes of Duffy, Smith, Clarke or Fisher

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Had an interesting chat with a friend at rhe cricket today. Without going into details, they had some inside information basically saying that Gary Stead isn't a big fan of Rachin, disliked the fame and popularity he built in the world cup and left him out of the Bangladesh tour for that reason.

Last edited: