• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
One of the crazy episodes in Black Caps history is Warren Lees was sacked as coach at the end of the 92/93 season after squaring the test series against Australia 1 all and losing the ODI series 3-2 with the final match being decided in the last over.
And after greatly exceeding expectations in the previous year's CWC. But, yes as you said it was due to the SL tour.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
losing the ODI series 3-2 with the final match being decided in the last over.
That series was epic. We got stuffed in the first two games, came back in game 3 at the Basin (I still clearly remember Mark Waugh being bowled early by Danny Morrison), the Jeff Wilson game 4 chasing a then-massive 250, and finally losing the last by a whisker with Gavin Larsen and Chris Pringle at the crease.

jcas0167

International Debutant
We really should've been creamed. That team was a McGrath short of being an ATG side. I tend to think in the same way we have a bit of a mental frailty v Australia now, the core of that Australian team had a bit more respect for NZ than we deserved. Call it Hadlee derangement syndrome, and it persisted until Crowe's knee shattered at Perth.
They ran into Danny Morrison and Ken Rutherford at their peaks. Actually Greatbatch opened in that series and was charging Merv Hughes. Maybe Finn Allen instead of Young could been the way to go 😯

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That series was epic. We got stuffed in the first two games, came back in game 3 at the Basin (I still clearly remember Mark Waugh being bowled early by Danny Morrison), the Jeff Wilson game 4 chasing a then-massive 250, and finally losing the last by a whisker with Gavin Larsen and Chris Pringle at the crease.
That last game rings a bell - I think I remember Dad taking me and we went home early, only to listen to a fightback on the radio and wishing we hadn't. Yes, I definitely did go to that game, I remember Latham taking 5-for now, and I must've been in the West stand with the memory I have of it. Definitely remember the Jeff Wilson game at Hamilton, too.

We are a stupid ****ing race, humans, aren't we? Those were the best of times.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That last game rings a bell - I think I remember Dad taking me and we went home early, only to listen to a fightback on the radio and wishing we hadn't. Yes, I definitely did go to that game, I remember Latham taking 5-for now, and I must've been in the West stand with the memory I have of it. Definitely remember the Jeff Wilson game at Hamilton, too.

I remember watching the Wilson game on a ****ty old 12 inch TV in an empty house that my mum and dad were attempting to renovate. Then I had chicken nuggets for dinner at a local restaurant by the beach on a beautiful sunny day. One of the best.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember watching the Wilson game on a ****ty old 12 inch TV in an empty house that my mum and dad were attempting to renovate. Then I had chicken nuggets for dinner at a local restaurant by the beach on a beautiful sunny day. One of the best.
Aren't those memories just the best. I remember watching a 1990 Benson and Hedges game on a similar sized TV in a beach town I can't remember where, but I remember it fondly. As I said before, we're a dumb species - you look back at that, when crowds were huge, it was an incredible experience to go to a game, and you just don't get that now. The days of ODIs on the Terraces at Eden Park are up there with my fondest life memories

jcas0167

International Debutant
Watched the Wilson game at boarding school. Everyone was going nuts and when it was over raced out to play backyard cricket.

Earlier that season had seen some of the Shell Cup games on TV and Wilson and Dion Nash were outstanding getting Otago to the final. Wilson opened the batting and bowling. I recently found the Between Two Beers podcasts have interviews with several players from that era. Nash talks about playing with Wilson and how much of a hole he left.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
tell us more about these chicken nuggets

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, moving from the past to the future, thoughts for what the team should look like for the Asia series? In an ideal world I'm thinking:

Ideal NZ team for Asia tour

Latham, Conway, KW, Rachin, Mitchell (C), Phillips (VC), Blundell, Santner, Henry, Ajaz, Duffy

I guess you could go for Smith over Duffy - really stacks the batting - but 6 tests in Asia is a rough first assignment for a 130ish swing bowler. Still want a swing bowler to open the bowling with Henry, Southee and Boult always cleaned up in Sri Lanka. Not sure about O'Rouke or Sears for the tour, though at least one of them should definitely be included in the squad.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of style, Duffy is the more similar to Southee while Smith is more similar to Henry, so that makes sense imo.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Latham, Conway, KW, Rachin, Mitchell (C), Phillips (VC), Blundell, Santner, Henry, Ajaz, Duffy
With all the bowling options (Henry, Ajaz, Santner, Phillips, Rachin, Mitchell), do you really need to play 2 seamers so leave Duffy out? Play the extra batsman instead?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
With all the bowling options (Henry, Ajaz, Santner, Phillips, Rachin, Mitchell), do you really need to play 2 seamers so leave Duffy out? Play the extra batsman instead?
And if Henry breaks down after 5 overs? Sri Lanka can be really good for swing, especially in the morning, while we might want someone quicker who can reverse it in India.

Also Mitchell averages 116 per wicket in tests. If you want extra batting pick Smith.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
And if Henry breaks down after 5 overs? Sri Lanka can be really good for swing, especially in the morning, while we might want someone quicker who can reverse it in India.

Also Mitchell averages 116 per wicket in tests. If you want extra batting pick Smith.
who would you be picking in india?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain

Brilliant story mate, thanks for sharing. Fantastic that you got to see the legendary Rod Latham 5-for :)

I was at game 3 in Wellington, notable for being Shane Warne's ODI debut but also the only one in the series where we got Mark Waugh out cheaply. It was his first series opening and he scored 3 fifties and a hundred in the other games.

Your story about being dragged out early matches what happened to me at my first ever international, NZ v England in 1991. We were defending a low score and with England needing only 50 more runs and with 7 wickets in hand my nana thought we were toast so may as well get an earlier train.

Well, Allan Lamb was bowled by Chris Cairns as we were leaving, and when we got off the train my grandpop told us we'd won! Was gutted to miss the great finish.

Ah, memories.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I see we are sending a team to Pakistan for a 5-match T20 series in April. What are we looking at here with some players over at IPL?

Allen
Bowes
Young
Chapman
Neesham
Clarkson
M. Bracewell
Milne
Sodhi
Sears
Southee

Probably some of Henry, Latham, Smith (hopefully) as well in the mix.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I see we are sending a team to Pakistan for a 5-match T20 series in April. What are we looking at here with some players over at IPL?

Allen
Bowes
Young
Chapman
Neesham
Clarkson
M. Bracewell
Milne
Sodhi
Sears
Southee

Does shipley come back in?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Allen
Bowes
Young
Chapman
Neesham
Clarkson
M. Bracewell
Milne
Sodhi
Sears
Southee

They wouldn't want Allen keeping so Latham definitely in mix.
Neesham isn't contracted but I think he'd want him in the Windies for WT20.
Smith is signed up for a whole county seasons (all formats).