• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes I'll find it crazy that Chapman can't crack a NZ World Cup squad to play on Asian pitches. Ravindra's best deliveries on a slow and grippy Asian pitch are of a higher grade than Chapman's, but I'd still favour the latter.

Ravindra's just always been their anti-Jesse Ryder, I suppose. Always in class early, putting a fresh bouquet of flowers on the teacher's desk. As a country that gave the world 147 internationals of Nathan McCullum's bowling, NZ may remain ripe for a few contrived placements in cameo roles. The kid who ticked every box has to go home with a major prize, even if it was more the Hong Kong excellence (or South African excellence) delivering the substantive goods.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What I got from this was give me more Chapman batting about 6 in the ODI side, which sounds good to me.
I'm 100% on board with Kippax, who says he'd favour Chapman's bowling and far superior middle order/late overs batting to Rachin's. Rachin might be slightly better with the ball, but Chapman is far superior at 7.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Chapman has bowled less and less over the last few years admittedly. Didn't bowl a ball against UAE across these three T20s. In fact, hasn't bowled a ball in ODI cricket for NZ. Often selected in a team with G Phillips whose part-time spin is preferred.

It wouldn't be a bad idea if he got a few overs here and there though, in case we encounter one of those pitches that rewards spin so much that any old roller does the trick.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Adam Milne ripped apart a top order full of current and former internationals in the hundred this morning. Was awesome fast swing bowling, and despite all the false dawns in his career I still can't help but think he's more worth a crack in Tests than Tickner (and certainly moreso than Kugz)

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Promising signs.

For some reason I have always remembered Weenink scoring a Shell Cup hundy for Wellington (rare in those days) and then disappearing off the face of the earth after a handful of games.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Some decent stuff in here if you can avoid the race baiting, the wealth bashing and burying the main story behind the other fluff that starts this article.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Adam Milne ripped apart a top order full of current and former internationals in the hundred this morning. Was awesome fast swing bowling, and despite all the false dawns in his career I still can't help but think he's more worth a crack in Tests than Tickner (and certainly moreso than Kugz)
Would love him to be an option but not going to believe it until he gets through 2-3 FC matches, and takes wickets. Played one last season, prior to that his last FC match was back in 2018-19.

ataraxia

International Coach
Not sure if already commented on: the Bangladesh series schedule has been released. Three pre-WC ODIs, starting 6 days after the England ODIs finish (8pm NZST; 21, 23, 26 September). The tests start at 4.30pm and are on a Tuesday and Wednesday – 28 November and 6 December. Later in December Bangladesh tour for 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is. Are 5-ODI series extinct?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meanwhile, Gup has gone berserk in the CPL today.
TBF he was awful in the BBL on wickets that really should have suited him & wickets he would have thrived on at his peak circa 2015-16. He's a shadow of the batsman he was 5-6 years ago which was always going to happen to him when his eye started declining a touch given his technique. We really need to move on from him internationally.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF he was awful in the BBL on wickets that really should have suited him & wickets he would have thrived on at his peak circa 2015-16. He's a shadow of the batsman he was 5-6 years ago which was always going to happen to him when his eye started declining a touch given his technique. We really need to move on from him internationally.
Was guptill an inconsistent bat when he was in his prime? I've heard of guys losing consistency as they get older, but he's on another level. Will go 5-10 game stretches on the franchise circuit not timing a ball then spank the best 100 you've ever seen. It's unbelievable.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Was guptill an inconsistent bat when he was in his prime? I've heard of guys losing consistency as they get older, but he's on another level. Will go 5-10 game stretches on the franchise circuit not timing a ball then spank the best 100 you've ever seen. It's unbelievable.
Yeah he's always been like that. More extreme now though.