• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway it would be cool if someone walked out to like the entirety of The Dead Flag Blues or something and then promptly got bowled first ball.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Was my initial thinking.

Jimmy Neesham in some ways as well, if his actually having a personality counts him as a maverick.

One thing I was greatly disappointed in last nights awards was Daryl Mitchell's interview, when asked any goals for the future and he gave the good natured "just focusing on the next thing" anwer. Love Daz but fmd would love if he said something like "maiden double hundy. T20I hundred. beating the saffers and aussies. winning the WC" like come on, is this just front facing PR training or does the team really not have any goals to try and knock off?
I think you answered your question about Neesham with your next paragraph.

I sometimes meet another Kiwi in a British pub in Tokyo and we often make fun of the All Blacks or rugby players in general for having no personality, lower intellects and much less humor compared to the average cricketer.

Maybe our cricketers are becoming All Blacks.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Can somoene explain to me how despite half of the main NZ team playing in the IPL while the national team is still playing AND the A-team is playing cricket all at the same time josh clarkson doesn't manage to get a game anywhere despite being in just about career best form? 337 runs @56 and a sr of 80 in the PS and 258 runs @37 and a sr of 165 in the super smash this year.

EDIT: Picking clarkson sounds like a better idea then shoehorning rachin into the #7 spot in the ODI team when he's a top order bat worst case.....

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can somoene explain to me how despite half of the main NZ team playing in the IPL while the national team is still playing AND the A-team is playing cricket all at the same time josh clarkson doesn't manage to get a game anywhere despite being in just about career best form? 337 runs @56 and a sr of 80 in the PS and 258 runs @37 and a sr of 165 in the super smash this year.
The T20 squad hasn't been named yet, so there's still a small chance. I really hope he gets an opportunity there.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think you answered your question about Neesham with your next paragraph.

I sometimes meet another Kiwi in a British pub in Tokyo and we often make fun of the All Blacks or rugby players in general for having no personality, lower intellects and much less humor compared to the average cricketer.

Maybe our cricketers are becoming All Blacks.
McCullum struck me as "what if all black, but cricketer"

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Mark Richardson seems to be a radical conservative, so could potentially fit in both teams - but I think his contrarian nature would see him thrive most in the maverick team.
Yeah he's politically conservative and has found a niche doing that but he's obviously never been "one of the boys". I suspect many Steadist types are probably institutional centre/leftists who know how to brainlessly parrot the "right" opinons (looking at Sumo).

jcas0167

International Debutant
I was so sure McMillan had Return of the Mack. Now I'm doubting so many of my childhood memories.
McMillan definitely came out to Return of the Mack for cricket max games circa 1997. That year Chris Cairns came out to ACDC's Back in Black. Craig Spearman had Macho Man by Village People. Phil Tufnell came out to Cigarettes & Alcohol by Oasis.

My favourite was Chris Harris coming out to Eye of the Tiger against South Africa in an ODI in 1999 when we were getting caned.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he's politically conservative and has found a niche doing that but he's obviously never been "one of the boys". I suspect many Steadist types are probably institutional centre/leftists who know how to brainlessly parrot the "right" opinons (looking at Sumo).
I know we've done this so many times but Sumo is insufferable. I don't like to be unkind about people as a rule, but he was an NZRU patsy when he worked at SKY, then all of a sudden became hotly critical of them when he went to Spark. Then he went all gooey over our women's cricket side in particular, even when they were raging from one poor performance to the other at World Cups. Absolute cheerleader, limited knowledge of the game, irksome 'lad' speak at the worst times, he just really grinds me. I want my commentators to be critical when they need to be, insightful as a rule + shut up and let the pictures do the talking (as Richie Benaud used to insist)...but that ain't him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesse Ryder, surely.
I dunno if he was a maverick? I don't think he knowingly thumbed his nose to authorities like a Parore, a Nash etc. He just drunk a lot of piss and it's hard to fall in line when you have a headache and the dries the next day.

Mavericks...Rob Nicol was a beatnik, dunno if that makes him a maverick (as was Chris Martin initially until he 'conformed').

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I know we've done this so many times but Sumo is insufferable. I don't like to be unkind about people as a rule, but he was an NZRU patsy when he worked at SKY, then all of a sudden became hotly critical of them when he went to Spark. Then he went all gooey over our women's cricket side in particular, even when they were raging from one poor performance to the other at World Cups. Absolute cheerleader, limited knowledge of the game, irksome 'lad' speak at the worst times, he just really grinds me. I want my commentators to be critical when they need to be, insightful as a rule + shut up and let the pictures do the talking (as Richie Benaud used to insist)...but that ain't him.
100% on this, here's an example of an exchange I had with him on Twitter

2666.png1.png

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Hmmmm

Personally, Not sure you guys are on the right track. I reckon/heard/read? (not sure, memory fuzzy) he was getting frozen out by NZRU, frustrated at Sky - because he wasn't towing the NZRU line (enough), so left, or saw the tea leaves and left.

I don't know this, just how I was reading it.

Not that I was following any of that particularly closely anymore.

In particular lack of independence of the competitions from Sanzaar / NZRU was his hill to die on, IIRC.