• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Weird that they honoured some retiring players... but no CdG? He's officially retired has he not?
I think those players retired from all cricket whereas CdG will still be playing despite international retirement

Actually has he officially internationally retired, or in giving up his contract essentially lost the chance to play?

NZTailender

Yeah Nah is a regular series and every single title starts with yeah nah which in Aoteastralian means no, making every article, as Athlai says, clickbait.

Flem274*

123/5
Looks increasingly likely Southee - KJ - Henry will be our trio moving ahead.

Got to admit I don't really like 3 right arm 135kph outswing bowlers being our attack tbh. It's very England mid 10s. We will do it because we lack ambition and imagination, and because tbf they are our most proven three available quicks.

In an opinion that will shock no one, I think we need to be a bit harsh and just pick two with the third seamer bringing something different. I'm shilling Ferguson again.

The door should be open to Wagner if he terrorizes County Cricket with the short ball at 130kph instead of 120kph.

In Bangers I'm guessing we'll go 2 quicks and 3 spinners. Maybe something like

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Nicholls
Mitchell
Blundell
Macewell
Sodhi
Southee
Henry
Ajaz

If there's an injury we could even bring in Ravindra (or McConchie) to get a 4th spinner there, like Bangladesh themselves sometimes field.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/30083...d=12&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=4#cxrecs_s

What a stupid article. Surely they'd at least give some context and mention Hadlee's record and perhaps that of others.
Haha the poll disagrees!

NZTailender

This article on Bowes and the bit of info that he captained SA U-19 to victory over NZ U-19 made me want to look up "where are they now" for that squad since it's been 10/11 years since that WC.

Will Young* - probably a meme that he's my favourite player that I'd die for at this point but for some reason thought O'Donnell captained this side and not Young. Probably the second most 'successful' player based on international appearances and is amongst the squad make up, so you could say he's a Black Cap regular
Joe Carter - seems like he's on the fringe of selection, given he had a good A tour to India
Sean Davey - made a bit of chatter this week with his 7fer. Didn't make his FC debut until 2020, probably the latest 'bloomer' of the bunch. Could be a late bolter for test cricket at some stage?
Michael Davidson - Played some domestic cricket between 2015 and 18
Jacob Duffy - third most successful player in the bunch? Seems like he'll be a continued L/O presence for a few years. Barring mass test injuries, don't think we'll see him in whites - thanks SK.
Cam Fletcher - Unlucky to be around at the same time as Watling and Blundell and I dare say when Blundell hangs up his boots in a few years, they'll go for someone younger (lol yeah right). Should play T20Is imo
Ben Horne - famous-ish name, same problem as Fletcher especially since FC cricket seems to be his forte. Whenever I look at a scorecard for Auckland he always seems to have contributed something in the lower order/provides a bit of fight
Ben Hyde - apart from featuring in two Northern District XI sides to play touring Zimbabweans in 2015, never kicked on after the WC
Connor Neynens - Played some A level cricket with meagre returns it seems
Ed Nuttall - tipped this bloke for higher honours a few times but seems to have gone off the boil a bit. Shame, as we need decent left arm quicks with Boult and Wagner on the way out
Robert O'Donnell - also tipped by a few for higher honours, though mostly based on his eloquence in post match chatter. Doesn't have the numbers to demand a spot but should play for Black Caps one day. NZ A team regular.
Matt Quinn - probably the smartest in that he went to the UK eventually to forge a cushy county career. Mind you, with his age he'd probably be considered a promising young prospect in a couple of years time
Ish Sodhi - easily the most successful player of the bunch with a regular L/O spot and sporadic Test appearances. After Pakistan, should've played the home summer. Have a feeling he'll turn to T20I leagues in a couple of years if the selectors don't wise up to his long form bowling (and handy batting)
Theo van Woerkom - Would probably love to swap his bowling and batting averages. Feel like he's been around forever and played a lot of games but hasn't really.
Arnie Yugaraja - like Hyde played for the ND XI vs Zimbabwe after the WC but never kicked on.
Henry Walsh - was a withdrawn player apparently but managed a handful of domestic appearances

Days of Grace

International Captain
All this talk recently of Steady-as-she-goes and risk aversion has got me thinking of two New Zealand XIs from our history. One is in the mold of Gary Stead: A team that screams "We're little old New Zealand. We're just happy to compete and wish to offend no-one." The other is a team of mavericks who would drag the aforementioned XI kicking and screaming to the top half of the rankings, although in-fighting would probably be a hindrance. Help me fill in the blanks.

Steady-as-she goes XI:
Edgar
Wright
Williamson
Sutcliffe
JR Reid

Germon (c, wk)
Vettori
Larson
Mason
Arnell

Maverick XI:
Turner

Sinclair
Crowe (c)

Neesham
Cairns
Parore (wk)
Hadlee
Nash

Last edited:

Binkley

U19 Captain
Mark Richardson seems to be a radical conservative, so could potentially fit in both teams - but I think his contrarian nature would see him thrive most in the maverick team.

I would also nominate Andrew Jones for the mavericks. He gave the fingers to the Comms box in Australia once, and walked off the park and didn’t come back in one first-class match near the end of his career.

thierry henry

International Coach

This article on Bowes and the bit of info that he captained SA U-19 to victory over NZ U-19 made me want to look up "where are they now" for that squad since it's been 10/11 years since that WC.

Will Young* - probably a meme that he's my favourite player that I'd die for at this point but for some reason thought O'Donnell captained this side and not Young. Probably the second most 'successful' player based on international appearances and is amongst the squad make up, so you could say he's a Black Cap regular
Joe Carter - seems like he's on the fringe of selection, given he had a good A tour to India
Sean Davey - made a bit of chatter this week with his 7fer. Didn't make his FC debut until 2020, probably the latest 'bloomer' of the bunch. Could be a late bolter for test cricket at some stage?
Michael Davidson - Played some domestic cricket between 2015 and 18
Jacob Duffy - third most successful player in the bunch? Seems like he'll be a continued L/O presence for a few years. Barring mass test injuries, don't think we'll see him in whites - thanks SK.
Cam Fletcher - Unlucky to be around at the same time as Watling and Blundell and I dare say when Blundell hangs up his boots in a few years, they'll go for someone younger (lol yeah right). Should play T20Is imo
Ben Horne - famous-ish name, same problem as Fletcher especially since FC cricket seems to be his forte. Whenever I look at a scorecard for Auckland he always seems to have contributed something in the lower order/provides a bit of fight
Ben Hyde - apart from featuring in two Northern District XI sides to play touring Zimbabweans in 2015, never kicked on after the WC
Connor Neynens - Played some A level cricket with meagre returns it seems
Ed Nuttall - tipped this bloke for higher honours a few times but seems to have gone off the boil a bit. Shame, as we need decent left arm quicks with Boult and Wagner on the way out
Robert O'Donnell - also tipped by a few for higher honours, though mostly based on his eloquence in post match chatter. Doesn't have the numbers to demand a spot but should play for Black Caps one day. NZ A team regular.
Matt Quinn - probably the smartest in that he went to the UK eventually to forge a cushy county career. Mind you, with his age he'd probably be considered a promising young prospect in a couple of years time
Ish Sodhi - easily the most successful player of the bunch with a regular L/O spot and sporadic Test appearances. After Pakistan, should've played the home summer. Have a feeling he'll turn to T20I leagues in a couple of years if the selectors don't wise up to his long form bowling (and handy batting)
Theo van Woerkom - Would probably love to swap his bowling and batting averages. Feel like he's been around forever and played a lot of games but hasn't really.
Arnie Yugaraja - like Hyde played for the ND XI vs Zimbabwe after the WC but never kicked on.
Henry Walsh - was a withdrawn player apparently but managed a handful of domestic appearances
Knowing player ages is usually something I'm oddly obsessed with, but man Nuttall seems way older than he is for some reason. I guess he must've been teens/early 20s when hyped.

Flem274*

123/5
Nutall has like all the tools to have played international cricket right now except bowling 6 on the spot in a row.

He's pretty talented.

NZTailender

Abbas out, that's a shame, done so much hard work this innings.

That said, Davey isn't by any means fast but he seemed to be beaten for pace there? Or with the camera angle am I not picking up on seam movement or an inside edge?

Edit: spark'd, but will leave as Bahnz replied