• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

This is one that is never talked about but definitely one of Williamson’s best. 1-1 going into the 3rd and final test. NZ bat first, West Indies take a small lead going into the 3rd innings. Williamson 161 not out in a score of 300-7. NZ end up winning by 50 runs to take the series 2-1.
Ah, 2014. My favourite year as an NZ cricket fan. McCullum’s 300, series victories against meaningful opponents for the first time in a decade, the glorious insanity of Baz’s 200 in Sharjah, KW becoming an unstoppable run machine, blitzing India 4-0 in the ODI’s in front of huge ‘home’ crowds, Wagner beginning to show his ability to summon the fires within to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, etc etc.

We were two thirds through our 2nd drink of the KW era: where we’d just taken the edge off and anything felt possible.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, 2014. My favourite year as an NZ cricket fan. McCullum’s 300, series victories against meaningful opponents for the first time in a decade, the glorious insanity of Baz’s 200 in Sharjah, KW becoming an unstoppable run machine, blitzing India 4-0 in the ODI’s in front of huge ‘home’ crowds, Wagner beginning to show his ability to summon the fires within to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, etc etc.

We were two thirds through our 2nd drink of the KW era: where we’d just taken the edge off and anything felt possible.
And weirdly also we looked to have a decent young opener in Tom Latham and Mark Craig appeared from almost nowhere to take some handy wickets and score some runs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

This is one that is never talked about but definitely one of Williamson’s best. 1-1 going into the 3rd and final test. NZ bat first, West Indies take a small lead going into the 3rd innings. Williamson 161 not out in a score of 300-7. NZ end up winning by 50 runs to take the series 2-1.
What's not also talked about (or potentially hidden behind his overall bowling average) is how many Test matches Mark Craig contributed to victories in. 190-7 in the first innings in this match, and helps get us to nigh on 300 (batting below Southee, ridiculously). Gets Gayle in the first dig, then Chanderpaul + two others in the second. He's a perfect example of why a cricinfo profile can't go close to telling you all you need to know. And that his batting and slip catching was also part of a pretty handy package with a strong side around him, + he was a fourth innings performer when we'd not had one since Vettori was young.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I can't believe that was eight years ago. Jesus.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
What's not also talked about (or potentially hidden behind his overall bowling average) is how many Test matches Mark Craig contributed to victories in. 190-7 in the first innings in this match, and helps get us to nigh on 300 (batting below Southee, ridiculously). Gets Gayle in the first dig, then Chanderpaul + two others in the second. He's a perfect example of why a cricinfo profile can't go close to telling you all you need to know. And that his batting and slip catching was also part of a pretty handy package with a strong side around him, + he was a fourth innings performer when we'd not had one since Vettori was young.
As well as performing well in the Windies, UAE, and England, Craig even managed to spin us to a test victory in NZ conditions (vs SL in 2015 after Williamson and Watling's huge partnership). It is just a shame he got so destroyed in Australia, although that happens to most visiting spinners over there.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Maybe the highest quality 100 by a NZer ever may gave been by C Cairns v Australua in 2000?

Probably the best team to visit NZ.

Depends perhaps if you differentiate Brett Lee pre and post broken elbow, howyou rate the bowling attack. And Funky Miller is hard to categorize.

I didn't actually see this one though, was overseas.

The best performance in a losing whitewash ever? By NZ.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Always wondered what happened to Craig too, genuinely looked liked he turned a corner in (what would be his final tour of) India in 2016 but then got a side strain. Played a couple of domestic seasons after recovering but since then seems he has given up cricket according to his instagram. Cricinfo says he has/had chronic fatigue syndrome, but can't find anything else about it. Could be a factor?

Ajaz will probably get one tour of Aus in 2023. We seem to tour there in World Cup years so maybe after India.

ataraxia

International Coach
So

Latham*
Ravindra
Conway
Young
Nicholls
Mitchell
Fletcher/Cleaver/Blundell +
Jamieson
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Phillips
Henry

?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bad timing for Nicholls to, unfortunately, be under a bit of pressure. That middle order looks a bit worrying without Williamson or Taylor.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I think they'll stick with Young at the top. My preference:

Latham
Young
Conway
Nicholls
Mitchell
Phillips
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Not that I rate Mitchell yet, I'd almost rather have CdG in there. Phillips at 6 is good I reckon, can bowl some off spin too.

thierry henry

International Coach
ffs. Stinks how KW has missed tests against Australia away, India away, and now a whole series against SA in recent years. Why can't we have nice things.

thierry henry

International Coach
Also, I like the balance of the team with Ravindra opening but I just really doubt they would throw him in there at the moment given they tried to ease him in as an all-rounder and his batting has looked substandard there.

I guess the counter-argument is that opening is his real position and so in a sense it would be "easier" to just let him do that. But I feel like the selectors would be thoroughly roasted if it was perceived that asking Ravindra to open ended up shattering his confidence.

Phillips is probably the guy.