• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm presuming they're picking Hagley because of Christchurch's lower population density and the closer proximity of hotels to the ground. Still sucks.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Adrian Seconi far from the most qualified to judge, but what would our lists look like? For me, Ross' isn't within cooee of #1. Yes it was epic, but ultimately an incredibly flat deck and not an innings that gets talked about like a #1 should.

Hard to judge a lot of them, given I didn't see Coney's, Turner's, etc. But I'd also say Astle's and McCullum's were criminally low. And you'd think Crowe's 299 would feature ahead of Smith's 174.

Ghost

U19 12th Man

Adrian Seconi far from the most qualified to judge, but what would our lists look like? For me, Ross' isn't within cooee of #1. Yes it was epic, but ultimately an incredibly flat deck and not an innings that gets talked about like a #1 should.

Hard to judge a lot of them, given I didn't see Coney's, Turner's, etc. But I'd also say Astle's and McCullum's were criminally low. And you'd think Crowe's 299 would feature ahead of Smith's 174.
Even the article says that Rosco's effort was on a batter friendly track. Crowe, McCullum and Greatbatch would be right up there for me as required lots of uphill skiing. My personal favourite though was Astle's. Can still clearly remember watching it and feels like it all happened in the blink of an eye

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree. It's not part of the criteria, but it should be - the 'do you remember where you were when it happened' metric. Astle's, I 100% do (trying to salvage a **** batting effort at 9 down, and wondering why the hell my team mates weren't watching and were hooting and hollering every minute or so). McCullum's, also. Ross', I honestly don't know where I was or if I even watched it.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
I saw bits and pieces of the Crowe, McCullum, Taylor and Greatbatch innings but saw every ball of Astle's knock. It just felt like fun. Probably because any sort of victory was so unlikely. Definitely one of my top NZ cricket memories.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'm glad they ranked Kane's 102 against South Africa in 2012 quite highly. That was a really top attack and I remember Graeme Smith giving Kane a shout out afterwards as they came at him hard (he stood his ground and got a reprieve on one that wasn't clear if it was caught cleanly - big balls for a 21 year old).

I don't think the 290 is even Ross's best hundred? Also, one of Crowe's centuries against the Windies in NZ 86/87 or against Wasim & Waqar in Pakistan in 1990 might have been above the 188 in the Windies. Was apparently a very flat wicket.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
I'm glad they ranked Kane's 102 against South Africa in 2012 quite highly. That was a really top attack and I remember Graeme Smith giving Kane a shout out afterwards as they came at him hard (he stood his ground and got a reprieve on one that wasn't clear if it was caught cleanly - big balls for a 21 year old).

I don't think the 290 is even Ross's best hundred? Also, one of Crowe's centuries against the Windies in NZ 86/87 or against Wasim & Waqar in Pakistan in 1990 might have been above the 188 in the Windies. Was apparently a very flat wicket.
Wasn’t Kane injured during this innings as well? Seem to recall was either a hand or groin injury.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn’t Kane injured during this innings as well? Seem to recall was either a hand or groin injury.
You mean when Steyn put a rocket up his ballbag? And cracked his box? Then kinda got a bit weird and angry, and refused to apologise for some reason...

Ghost

U19 12th Man
You mean when Steyn put a rocket up his ballbag? And cracked his box? Then kinda got a bit weird and angry, and refused to apologise for some reason...
Yeah that was it. I think Kane was almost run out on 99 because he could barely run

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf Steyn thought (probably correctly) that KW should've already been in the pavilion after one of those iffy catch referrals.

Mike5181

International Captain
McCullum's double century in Sharjah was crazy to watch. Phil Hughes had passed away and the atmosphere was very very strange.

Howsie

International Captain

This is one that is never talked about but definitely one of Williamson’s best. 1-1 going into the 3rd and final test. NZ bat first, West Indies take a small lead going into the 3rd innings. Williamson 161 not out in a score of 300-7. NZ end up winning by 50 runs to take the series 2-1.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It's a good list, but the glaring one in the 10, let alone as number 1 is the Taylor one.

I actually like Taylor's first test 100 at Hamilton v England. I didnt see his best years after that until 2011 when I re-entered a world with nz cricket on tv.

You could joke that he got Hoggard and Harmisin dropped in the 100 I mentioned above, and made Mitch Johnson give up and retire from his 290.