• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
ah an article about an article written by an Aussie before they were getting 70000+ cases a day, how prescient

I'm not a fan of how MIQ is overall excluding people who deserve to be in the country but also remember they tried setting up more MIQ hotels outside of Auckland only for those cities to reject having potential COVID outbreaks come from housing returnees.

Sports teams, as well as musicians and other such arrivals, would be prime candidates for a private MIQ system, though

ftr I get near daily messages from friends in the US wishing they were here

Howsie

International Captain
Over 20 countries (including Australia) have had more Covid deaths reported just today than we've had in the entire pandemic. Of course we haven't been perfect, but IMO there'd be more people wanting to trade places with us than laughing at us.
Ah yes, ‘Covid’ deaths. We can have dozens and dozens of people drowning all summer long and that’s not a problem. But losing a single person to Covid, nope that’s not okay and you’re an asshole to think otherwise….

Howsie

International Captain
Watching this Maxwell/Stoinis performance in the BBL tonight I'd be slightly nervous we would have been thrashed with a B-side going over (although would have been cool to see some new faces get a go and obviously Ross's farewell).
I’ve never heard of a single bowler he faced last night ? I’d like to think our ‘b’ team would fare a little better then a bunch of no name club cricketers

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ah yes, ‘Covid’ deaths. We can have dozens and dozens of people drowning all summer long and that’s not a problem. But losing a single person to Covid, nope that’s not okay and you’re an asshole to think otherwise….
in terms of whatabouteries, this one is pretty whack

short of banning people from swimming, there won't be any short term fixes to drownings. it will need an educational campaign spread over years that both governments have neglected to fund in the past few decades afaik. loads has been poured into road safety as a priority

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Our border policy used to make sense, but doesn't anymore. FACT .... I mean opinion.

Still quasi elimination.

Flem274*

123/5
The border system is in place to prevent Omicron cases taking up hospital space. As flawed as it is, not really hard to comprehend the reason for it is sensible.

If anti-vax types prevent real people from getting treatment for non covid things, there will be hell to pay.

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The border system is in place to prevent Omicron cases taking up hospital space. As flawed as it is, not really hard to comprehend the reason for it is sensible.

If anti-vax types prevent real people from getting treatment for non covid things, there will be hell to pay.

Thanks Jacinda's mouthpiece.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I love you as a poster Howsie but this is your worst stuff.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Can it be transferred to the politics thread?

Re cricket I'm really interested to see if a strong or developmental team will play against the Dutch and if anyone will go and watch. Shame RTD isn't 10 years younger.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Totally agree. It can't do much for their core skill either (batting) - not that I've ever kept, but if you're out there battling with the gloves on, something you're not accustomed to doing, having to work mentally much tougher to get it semi-decent, is that the best preparation to go out there and score runs? Finn Allen is not an option. Neither should Conway be, really - any one of Seifert, Fletcher and Cleaver should be locked in to the side.

Incidentally, my money is on Fletcher. He's got that personality that I think would transfer really well into international cricket. Tough cricketer - scores runs in big moments. Also as an aside, I played against him in his debut club game - he was playing for Grafton and he must've been 15-16. Wouldn't have been 5 foot tall. He couldn't really get it off the square, and was getting hoed into a bit, but stuck around for a long time and looked every inch a competitor. Think he's evolved in a bigger version of that
I went to high school with him, and I was 6th form when he was third. Known him for a considerable and he's best friends with a few mates of mine. Definitely would agree that he's tough and gutsy, cause he definitely wasn't in the "earmarked early" talent brigade. Whats interesting to note though, is he's been on the professional cricketer "pathway" since he was a junior. IE net in his backyard since about 12-13, dropped out of school at 16 to pursue only cricket (his father was huge in this, really pushed and supported this) and to Cam's credit he stuck to it and is reaping the rewards now, as I would expect from someone whose literally pursued cricket at a career since 16.

Just for a laugh, though Steve you a Howick man I understand? I've been tryna pinpoint whether we crossed paths against each other as well, but then again I was at Waitakere so only chance of meeting would be in the t20's or limited overs stuff.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I’m sad. The international cricket summer is as light as it’s ever been in the 30 odd years that I’ve been watching. 4 tests, 3 odi’s and 3 t20’s (if they go ahead). The Supersmash has been great this year but I miss watching the Black Caps. I mean, it’s ****ing January and there aren’t any games scheduled for a month!

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
in terms of whatabouteries, this one is pretty whack

short of banning people from swimming, there won't be any short term fixes to drownings. it will need an educational campaign spread over years that both governments have neglected to fund in the past few decades afaik. loads has been poured into road safety as a priority
This, and the fact that drowning isn't actually contagious.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just for a laugh, though Steve you a Howick man I understand? I've been tryna pinpoint whether we crossed paths against each other as well, but then again I was at Waitakere so only chance of meeting would be in the t20's or limited overs stuff.
Haha yep, sure is/was. Used to love playing Waitak, always a bit of niggle involved. We played a heap of T20, 50 over and two-day stuff against them

jcas0167

International Debutant
I’m sad. The international cricket summer is as light as it’s ever been in the 30 odd years that I’ve been watching. 4 tests, 3 odi’s and 3 t20’s (if they go ahead). The Supersmash has been great this year but I miss watching the Black Caps. I mean, it’s ****ing January and there aren’t any games scheduled for a month!
Yeah, was light anyway and losing the Australia games is super annoying. Can't even watch the Under 19 side in the WC thanks to Covid.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You ****ing ****s, NZC. Absolute ****ing ****s. No Tests at the Basin this year, but 3 at Hagley. Great to see a variety of wickets used, eh. Glad they'll avoid the COVID hotspot of Wellington (?) but keep the Netherlands in the peace and tranquility of the Waikato.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
After the Dutch just lost 0-3 to Afghanistan how much interest will be in that series? I see it is a very young Dutch team though, so hopefully they will improve