• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

jcas0167

International Debutant
Hope so. It's fair to say he doesn't deserve to be there, likely on the back of a Test tonne over a year ago? Averages 24 with a sub 80 strike rate.. Would prefer BJ TBH. At least BJ offers a relative like for like replacement for Latham if he gets injured, or can bat anywhere in the top 5.

Phillips isn't International ready, neither is Seifert currently.
Would prefer going with Seifert or Phillips to Blundell because they can win games with their strike rate, which is what McCullum did (and Munro has struggled to do). Going on the Indian series NZ appears unlikely to have the batting strength to be a serious WC contender this time.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Really poor decision imo. Just more victory for the animal perpetrator who committed the act. There's no good reason to cancel.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I could definitely understand if they cancelled the Bangladesh U19s scheduled tour to New Zealand this year, but I'm not sure what the concern is with it being the other way around.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yes, a real shame for the players. Aside from the WC the under 19's don't seem to tour very often. I see Bangladesh under 19's will be visiting NZ at the start of next season.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Wonder if it's fear of a retaliation attack? Our U19's don't play much cricket so it'd be a bizarre decision otherwise

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Wonder if it's fear of a retaliation attack? Our U19's don't play much cricket so it'd be a bizarre decision otherwise
That was what I was thinking ... or some weird copycat thing. They probably don’t want to spend the money on security that they’d need to, either. Fair enough that they don’t go ahead for the time being, I think.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd go with Seifert or Phillips personally, because a guy that strikes at 78 in List A probably isn't the ideal guy to have coming in at 7.

It's hard to care about who they pick for the reserve keeper in a tournament we'll likely peak at semi-finals at best, though.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'd go with Seifert or Phillips personally, because a guy that strikes at 78 in List A probably isn't the ideal guy to have coming in at 7.

It's hard to care about who they pick for the reserve keeper in a tournament we'll likely peak at semi-finals at best, though.
Seifert should be opening with Guptill anyway.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Works for me. Although I heard Seifert recently broke a finger and had pins inserted, which depending on recovery time may have dented his selection chances.
Yeah this seems to be the story I've heard too. I still think he should get the nod ahead of Blundell. Glad that Sodhi is in ahead of Astle.

Guptill
Nicholls
Williamson (c)
Taylor
Latham
Neesham
CdG
Santner
Henry
Ferguson
Boult

Southee, Sodhi, Munro and Seifert. Would be my guess.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Hmm would think Munro would open? And Neesham possibly one place to high in that order?
Given Nicholls opened with Gup the last few games of the season, I imagine Munro is in the squad as backup batsman only.

Neesham at 6 is fine I think, he batted there most of the summer.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Neeshams not playing in the IPL, is he? Swear I saw him walking into Newmarket Les Mills this morning.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
World Cup squad has just been announced:

Williamson (c)
Taylor
Latham
Guptill
Blundell
Neesham
Munro
Santa
Nicholls
Sodhi
Boult
Southee
Ferguson
Henry
de Grandhomme

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I’m amazed by everyone saying how unlucky Bracewell is ... 0/131 in three ODIs this year. Ian Smith brainwashed them good.