• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Good move, IMO - I've heard good things about him as a coach. Hopefully he can stick around beyond just this series.
He said he'd applied for the full time position but they were still making their mind up, this must be some kind of 'try before you buy' trial period. Remember under the new Govt, they could hire him now and fire him in early April (lol)

Flem274*

123/5
Australia are like, the one country with the results to look down their noses tbf.

They haven't been beaten up by perceived FC journeymen like Mitchell and Nicholls.

Howsie

International Captain
Speaking of that test series it really does just show how little Australia rates NZ as a cricketing nation. Our last series of there was 2019, I’m pretty sure Pakistan toured before us that summer? They have already been back since and this is the 2nd or 3rd time the Windies have been over there since

NZ have to wait 7 years before we head back over there, and it’s been 8 since they last played a test match in NZ.

One of the best teams over the last decade and still they would rather play the likes of the Windies 😏

jcas0167

International Debutant
Speaking of that test series it really does just show how little Australia rates NZ as a cricketing nation. Our last series of there was 2019, I’m pretty sure Pakistan toured before us that summer? They have already been back since and this is the 2nd or 3rd time the Windies have been over there since

NZ have to wait 7 years before we head back over there, and it’s been 8 since they last played a test match in NZ.

One of the best teams over the last decade and still they would rather play the likes of the Windies 😏
It didn't help that we finally got a Boxing Day test and performed terribly. We also seem to have lost the Hadlee Chappell series - I guess there isn't room in the calendar now even though they briefly brought it back in 2021.

Flem274*

123/5
We haven't performed in Australia to the standard to suggest otherwise. Most of their audience couldn't point to Pakistan or the West Indies on a map. They have no idea we've beaten those sides in recent times.

They're a bit American. If we beat them, they will put in every effort to ensure it never happens again. Getting the consistent wood over them is challenging when series are so rare, and I think half the reason India got over the line is because they were thrown to the wolves every 2 years for a 4-0 thrashing until they slowly worked it out (and faced a team lacking Steve Smith and David Warner).

We might need similar, but we won't get that opportunity because we don't have dads money just his bowling attack, so NZ will just need to get it done. They won't because Australia have made this NZ cricket generation their mental property and NZ can't admit it. Much worse NZ sides have put in far bigger games against much better Australian sides.

If we **** the bed in that 4 test tour then I think that will be about it. Cricket is transitioning to a world league format under the WTC where you play minimum tests to get in the finals and Australia won't be wasting series on us. Ashes, India, SA and bring in some gimme points from the rest each cycle.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man

Australia has always looked down at NZ. They're snobs. Always have been, always will be. There's only one way to end that - destroy them (easier said than done, of course).

43 years to host NZ for Tests; that must be some kind of record. Even the 2026-7 series comes after what, nearly a century of NZ getting Test status? England, India, SA, WI have all played us for 4-5 Test series, yet Australia? Not once. And the worst part is that they don't come here anymore. 4 Tests in a 2-decade period when we play 12 over there? That's too lopsided for words. I've never rated what NZ supposedly has with Australia as a rivalry. I call it a thirst for revenge that never seems to be satisfied.

I think this summer's Test series could be pivotal in terms of NZ's Test future. Honestly? Losing this summer may sully the legacy of the current generation at least a little, at least among the angry commenters on Stuff.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I don't think it's impossible we beat Australia in that series. Southee/Henry/Jamieson/Sears can get the job done against a batting line up that is starting to look like it has a few weaknesses. Especially if we prepare pitches like the India tests in 2019 that have a bit of assistance for our attack. Not too fast and a bit of movement.

Our batting will have to stand up against a great attack though ... we can't be carrying the likes of Nicholls into this series.

Moss

The other thing which doesn’t help of course is the overlap of the home seasons. With the calendars packed as it is and the IPL starting immediately after March, there’s even less incentive to find room. Similar story for South Africa-NZ contests, I don’t think a bilateral white ball series has happened between the sides since that 2017 visit by the Saffers.

Immenso

I wonder when our next JAMODI is? Because the next world cup is 3 & a half years ago, perhaps not a JAMODI for a another year?

I ask because of the usual awesome attention for detail NZC have applied to their domestic schedule.

Hopefully the Saffas are as weak as I hope. Because no NZ player will play a red ball game other than these before the Australian test series. But will fit in the Ford Trophy before then. Unfortunately the Saffa bowling will be strong and Conway and Nicholls will be shot, but no replacement will be prepped and ready. Congrats Rachin, you have been recalled to the test team by March with zero FC cricket for 12 months, good luck and god speed.