• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

jcas0167

International Debutant

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Some words of wisdon from Stead to get us all fired up for the test matches this season:

Stead admits that while he and fans alike do hold higher expectations for the Test side ever since winning the inaugural World Test Championship, he concedes that Test cricket is a ‘two-horse race’ against stiff competition as they look to regain the mace off current holders Australia.

”This cycle will tell us where this Test team is at – I’m not convinced that winning Test matches all the time is something the public should expect,” Stead said.

“We’ve been through an incredibly great period with this team and there will be change that will come over the next three or four years as guys get towards the end of their career. That creates some real excitement around the group of who might come in and the competition that is still there within this team.”

thierry henry

International Coach
I can actually get behind Stead fighting for greater recognition of this generation’s achievements and how unusual they’ve been. I can also get behind him saying there’s no guarantee that players coming through will match those achievements, because of how extraordinary they were. In a roundabout way this is what he’s saying. For some reason though, he chooses not to frame it that way and instead makes it sound like past victories were a fluke, all while failing to properly introduce younger players despite acknowledging that the team is ageing.

Flem274*

123/5
I think he's a man of an era where we considered wins to be an achievement we made when other teams had an off day.

Which is just a roundabout excuse really for our main summer sport.

"Please pay me money but only expect 8th and be ecstatic with 4th."

Spew. It's an attitude with no place in professional sport. We're a developed economy and every school has access to real sports equipment. Some of our rivals are still working on the "school" and "functional economy" part. NZC aren't upper class but they're firmly upper middle and we should expect results to match.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
His comments 2 years ago, when as WTC champions, after we lost our first home test v Bangladesh - sealed it for me that he is just an empty tracksuit.

Something about NZ cricket fans being arrogant to expect to win test matches, like they are rugby fans.

He's had his contract extended since then. I genuinely don't think anyone else applied.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'd be wary of reading too much into how useful a coach is based on snippets of comments in the media. He's probably just trying to take heat off the team. Behind the scenes he's unlikely to be telling the likes of Williamson, Southee and Mitchell they can't win.

Chubb

International Regular
Meanwhile England's entire outlook on test cricket has been turned around by a New Zealander.

Australia too are making high risk high reward calls like selecting JFM on the back of one OD innings and some T20 slogs.

Where is the ambition and audacity we want to see from the Black Caps?

thierry henry

International Coach
Meanwhile England's entire outlook on test cricket has been turned around by a New Zealander.

Australia too are making high risk high reward calls like selecting JFM on the back of one OD innings and some T20 slogs.

Where is the ambition and audacity we want to see from the Black Caps?
Oh I definitely don't wanna see any of this ****