• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Flem274*

123/5
you can't take the money and benefit from exposure from that one market and then complain that they're indulging in marvel or dc cricket

blame Kane for attempting a stupid acrobatic catch that wasn't necessary but it is very funny to act like he is performing in front of robots who don't care about him when he is one of the most loved cricketers in India
Love for KW in India has zero relevance to performing for his primary employer. International cricket is the flagship and if it changes people will leave save for 1-2 markets. Profitable perhaps, but inherently more boring.

Cricket intentionally shifting towards one end of the mass entertainment to unwatchable technicality (golf) spectrum is something everyone should be complaining about. If other summer sports can just hold on for 20 years they're going to absolutely ravage the T20 market after peak consumption when people want a sport with more substance. T20 is a superficial game geared towards bang bang six. A midget medium pacer who can bat a bit was MVP at the world T20. T20 just isn't as demanding or good.

If test cricket can just survive intentional administrative murder for 20 years it will pick up a lot of fans from contact sports looking for something with depth and intrigue to replace sports rekt by mass concussion lawsuits.

Franchise T20 is slowly winning through direct administrative encouragement and negatively effecting everything around it and I hate it, so today I am throwing a sook because it's ruining my teams world cup.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Love for KW in India has zero relevance to performing for his primary employer. International cricket is the flagship and if it changes people will leave save for 1-2 markets. Profitable perhaps, but inherently more boring.

Cricket intentionally shifting towards one end of the mass entertainment to unwatchable technicality (golf) spectrum is something everyone should be complaining about. If other summer sports can just hold on for 20 years they're going to absolutely ravage the T20 market after peak consumption when people want a sport with more substance. T20 is a superficial game geared towards bang bang six. A midget medium pacer who can bat a bit was MVP at the world T20. T20 just isn't as demanding or good.

If test cricket can just survive intentional administrative murder for 20 years it will pick up a lot of fans from contact sports looking for something with depth and intrigue to replace sports rekt by mass concussion lawsuits.

Franchise T20 is slowly winning through direct administrative encouragement and negatively effecting everything around it and I hate it, so today I am throwing a sook because it's ruining my teams world cup.
I love the hope, the intention and message behind this...although I don't understand the bolded, no matter how many times I read over. Can you elaborate?

And you're 100% right. Franchise T20 is slowly winning because of the backing and the lack of brickwalling of it. And yes, it is affecting our World Cup, mainly because of Trent but also because we now have no back-up opening batsman and we might've got some more value out of CdG.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If he's out of the wc because he was busy playing complete dribble then NZC need to man up and get serious on retaining and policing the players we made.

Your spot not being safe or playing more than 2 seasons above a certain pay grade sees you slide down the contract list.

Idk, our players are not poor and KW is on half a mill per year. Perhaps the team could go sleep 6 to a van in a Manurewa carpark to learn about how privileged they are to be paid 6 figures to hit a ball for nz.
But having said what I said above, I don't think we can be so precious that we can bemoan an injury that could've happened falling off a fence after 12 Double Browns, surfing, chasing a robber down the street etc.

And the last sentence...dunno if I can agree with that. These guys are allowed to maximise their earning potential while they can. There's no LIV golf guys here, there has hardly ever been an NZ cricketer who left the best years of his career to suckle at the T20 franchise teet. Our guys have always been the 32+ year olds who maybe left with some music still in them, but gave their best years to us. It's more on the ICC to provide a better model to ensure stability of the international game, which we all know would be ****ed if we let the franchise leagues - mainly the IPL and whatever dumb money the Saudis are planning to throw in - continue to grow and dominate.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My biggest fear is not KW being ruled out injured for the WC, as much as I want him to play, it's that Southee is named captain & hence playing every game in spite him being one of our worst 50 over bowlers.

Let's hope sanity prevails and Santner and or Latham are named skipper if KW isn't fit.

Flem274*

123/5
I love the hope, the intention and message behind this...although I don't understand the bolded, no matter how many times I read over. Can you elaborate?

And you're 100% right. Franchise T20 is slowly winning because of the backing and the lack of brickwalling of it. And yes, it is affecting our World Cup, mainly because of Trent but also because we now have no back-up opening batsman and we might've got some more value out of CdG.
Ahah the bolded had a lend at golf tacked on the end which might be the confusion.

With sport you can design it to be pure entertainment (WWE for example, where exceptional athletes tell a scripted story) or pure technical excellence that might be a hard watch (golf).

Sports exist on a spectrum between those two extremes. T20 is definitely designed to appeal to the entertainment end at the expense of a lot of skill and nuance. Unless you put them on a dog pitch they're a lot less interesting and lack time to breathe. Plus you don't have to be as good as you do in tests to be useful (also true in odis to a lesser extent, but odis have time to breathe and develop).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha, true. Although his record as ODI captain is actually good :-)
More than good, it's sensational actually; 21 wins & only 4 losses, including the 3 away vs India.

Could still see our inept selectors deciding Southee's the man for captaincy though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Rests on the presence of Boult, doesn't it? If Boult is there, our best three seamers are clearly Ferguson, Boult and Henry for sub-continent conditions plus the spinners.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Since the last World Cup:

Southee: 14 ODIs, 24 wickets, 27.25 average, 5.37 economy rate
Ferguson: 17 ODIs, 18 wickets, 51.11 average, 6.18 economy rate

In Asia since the last World Cup:

Southee: 3 ODIs, 6 wickets, 24.00 average, 5.95 economy rate
Ferguson: 6 ODIs, 4 wickets, 74.00 average, 5.92 economy rate

But of course Henry and Boult would be first choice if Boult is there ... if he isn't then Southee would be a first pick to open the bowling, surely?

Ferguson is a massive concern for me.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Southee is one of the first names on the team sheet.
In ODI matches? Through seniority maybe.

From a large sample size he averages 60 with the ball vs Aus and South Africa. Just had been monumental passenger at times

That said, his 50 over bowling in the last 18 months, in albeit small sample size, has easily been his best imo.