• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I guess we'll put him in the T20 squad for international experience first, but feels a bit like classic NZ, no risk taking. Sure, guys like Nicholls and Young are good cricketers who haven't done a lot wrong to lose their spot, but jeez, you've got a guy who's almost averaging twice as much as everybody else in the last few years, you've got to consider the hard decisions.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Not much chance of Conway ever making the test side if they’re still selecting Young ahead of him ...
He’ll figure at some point but probably not when he’s in the middle of an absolute purple patch like he is right now. I guess they’re keen on maintaining the pecking order and since Young was in the queue first he gets first dibs. But yes what are the odds of either of them making a test debut before they turn 30..

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess we'll put him in the T20 squad for international experience first, but feels a bit like classic NZ, no risk taking. Sure, guys like Nicholls and Young are good cricketers who haven't done a lot wrong to lose their spot, but jeez, you've got a guy who's almost averaging twice as much as everybody else in the last few years, you've got to consider the hard decisions.
Young should've debuted twice, proved himself against Australia in one format, has got better at converting which is what he needed to work on, etc. I get it that Conway has a greater weight of domestic runs but I still think it would be incredibly harsh on Young if Conway had leap frogged him.

nzfan

Yup the good old conservative approach, they guy is banging the house down. Get him in already... Don't know what they are waiting for. Even in comparison to Blundell and Latham in the first half of Plunkett Shield he's almost got 3 hundreds (Devon missed out on couple of close 100s earlier). What more proof do they need he can play? That said I'm quite sure someone is going to struggle in the next 2-4 test matches and will make way for Conway. It's a given...

nzfan

Exactly my fear. You described it to a t.

This happened to me, you basically have to reset and if you are not aware of it like most of us, you "THINK" you are doing the same thing but the mechanics timing and everything else is gone and before you realise it you've tweaked everything so you're an unrecognisable version of what initially made you good. You completely lose the feel and your left with trying to be the old you with a completely unrepeatable action for consistency. You can see it with Ish. It's like there no real "drop" on the ball anymore.

Confidence is huge, we just don't really know how to handle attacking spinners and its just a cultural thing. Its holding pattern ****, also you need to be a side with runs on the board too.
Just logged into check the scores and seeing Firebirds bowling card just needed this reiterating. A wicket keeper batsman Bracewell that doesn't look a bowler from any angle whatsoever has bowled dozen overs ahead of the leg spinner Peter Younghusband and likely future prospect Ravindra. Nothing wrong in him rolling his arms few times but ahead of two main spinners is being very selfish. Our coaches will probably be stroking his ego by egging him on rather than sternly tell him to give the ball to Younghusband.

Now make it nearing 25 overs :laugh: Bracewell has bowled 24 overs for 1 wicket meanwhile two main spinners have bowled 19 overs. I'd love to captain Firebirds, you can bowl all the overs you want, bat where you like and probably keep if bored with bowling as well :p

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
@ athlai - unless cole mcconchie is the worlds greatest skipper in waiting it looks like the selectors have a scheme in mind for either him or rippon, where they bat #8 and bowl 3 overs a day of token spin in home tests.

i think it's a silly strategy since jamieson will emerge at the end of the summer as the obvious right arm opening bowler and semi-responsible #8 but i think the selectors want mcconchie or rippon.
I hope this is not something the selectors would seriously consider - certainly not with McConchie, probably not with Rippon either. At the very least, if selectors wanted four seamers plus part time spin bowler as the balance for the home summer, it would have to be G Phillips batting at 6.

We seem more committed to the CDG (with Mitchell backup) path, for good reason.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Stead's been quoted as saying he wants a full-time spinner in his teams at just about every venue in NZ. It sounded almost like a blanket statement where you'll now need an extreme in the venue, weather, oppo factor to get him to budge on it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just logged into check the scores and seeing Firebirds bowling card just needed this reiterating. A wicket keeper batsman Bracewell that doesn't look a bowler from any angle whatsoever has bowled dozen overs ahead of the leg spinner Peter Younghusband and likely future prospect Ravindra. Nothing wrong in him rolling his arms few times but ahead of two main spinners is being very selfish. Our coaches will probably be stroking his ego by egging him on rather than sternly tell him to give the ball to Younghusband.

Now make it nearing 25 overs :laugh: Bracewell has bowled 24 overs for 1 wicket meanwhile two main spinners have bowled 19 overs. I'd love to captain Firebirds, you can bowl all the overs you want, bat where you like and probably keep if bored with bowling as well :p
Rachin not grabbing his own career by the horns, tbh. In stark contrast to say Wesley Madhevere for Zim, Rachin seems like he's going to let those 'high in confidence, low in actual technical skill' dumb****s you so often get in any NZ cricket team turn him a bit silent and withdrawn.

nzfan

Rachin not grabbing his own career by the horns, tbh. In stark contrast to say Wesley Madhevere for Zim, Rachin seems like he's going to let those 'high in confidence, low in actual technical skill' dumb****s you so often get in any NZ cricket team turn him a bit silent and withdrawn.
Agree very much. Bowls a great line and length but hasn't yet developed the tactics and guile required to out fox batters in long format. This is not sub continent where things happen every ball. Got to get some variations in to be able to snare wickets.

The Hutt Rec

Kuggeleijn will want to start performing in the blackcaps soon, with that absolutely awful record he has. His rope must be close to running out.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
rachin should come to central.
Yes it's a little-known fact that there are no 'high on confidence, low on actual technical skill' dumb****s who could potentially slow down your career progression in Central Districts. Leopard and Clarkson will be catching up with Will Pucovski and Cameron Green in no time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes it's a little-known fact that there are no 'high on confidence, low on actual technical skill' dumb****s who could potentially slow down your career progression in Central Districts. Leopard and Clarkson will be catching up with Will Pucovski and Cameron Green in no time.
Haha I'm not sure I buy into this personality conflict being the problem, but if it is you're certainly right. He should come to CD anyway because CD is great and it'd help us win trophies though.

It's interesting that if he'd averaged less than 45 with the ball he'd probably be in the box seat for the #8 gig in Tests. I'm not sure if that would have been good or bad for his development though, and I lean towards the latter. His returns being so memeworthy bad with the ball despite bowling 'fine' almost feels like divine intervention from the cricket gods.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes there's seemingly many with some degree of proximity to the inner-circle here who are quite keen to make a 29yo part-time offie, with no height or mystery to him, who completely gave up the discipline for several years, blossom into some great Kiwi-battler-made-good story.

They all pour over the numbers with great reverence, not really open to this idea that if taken to foreign soil and given a more solid opponent, Rachin is going to be the spinner they'll wish they'd developed more.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Phillips and Cooper are better bowlers than Bracewell IMO.

I realise Cooper's bowling is a bit of a meme now and he bowls with an ungainly almost round-arm style, but he knows what he's doing. It's Lehmann-esque. I'd back him ahead of Bracewell for sure.

nzfan

Yes there's seemingly many with some degree of proximity to the inner-circle here who are quite keen to make a 29yo part-time offie, with no height or mystery to him, who completely gave up the discipline for several years, blossom into some great Kiwi-battler-made-good story.

They all pour over the numbers with great reverence, not really open to this idea that if taken to foreign soil and given a more solid opponent, Rachin is going to be the spinner they'll wish they'd developed more.

I have seen Rachin at Hutt Rec and comes across as way too good a bloke for his own good. Seen him talking and encouraging some little ones so many times besides answering every question humbly no matter what crap is being asked or told with no airs about him. Sometimes it's not so good to be too nice. You don't have to be a dick but you can sure be firm. I read in Bondy's book he was similar, bowled into the wind for many years and eventually learnt to be firm and demanded he is used properly. Like you, I sometimes feel you need to be a bit stern and stand up for your talent. Before he realizes he'll be late mid to late 20s and would have bowled sparingly losing out on serious experience if first class.

Last edited:

Chewie

Phillips and Cooper are better bowlers than Bracewell IMO.

I realise Cooper's bowling is a bit of a meme now and he bowls with an ungainly almost round-arm style, but he knows what he's doing. It's Lehmann-esque. I'd back him ahead of Bracewell for sure.
If only we had some simming to confirm