• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Union or League

Which Rugby code do you prefer?

• League

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Union

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
bryce said:
i agree about lowering the number of points for a drop goal but i think that 3 points for a penalty is fair enough because everyone knows the rules and more often than not the player chooses to break them, otherwise everyone will just be going for tries all the time and it will make rugby look like a mess.
That is the most exciteing thing about watching Union.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Sorry if this sounds like a rant or not, but this is one thing that I hate about Union:

Personally I think they should scrap the number points for a drop ggoal from 3 to 1 and penalty goals from 3 to 2. Too many times, and often England when I see them, if they get a penalty, they go for the easy option of giving the ball to Jonny and here kick a goal for use, it is becoming predicatable and boring. What is so wrong with kicking the ball into the corner, have a line-out and go for a try and play with some flair and enteretainment.

Personally I don't think it is that good to see Jonny Wilkinson kicking three drop goals in a game.
I think they should make penalty goals in League 3 points.

Son Of Coco

League.

The league boys know how to tackle, and as far as rugby having more skill (an old cliche that doesn't really hold merit for mine), I'm continuously seeing Gordon Bray raving on about an inside ball that appears to have come in slow motion compared to the skills on show in league. Then again, maybe they are just two completely different games.

I've never quite understood how going high in a tackle (ala Rugby Union) and having 5 guys palmed off is preferable to going in low and stopping the player. I know you're trying to tie up the ball in rugby, but how is 4-5 guys missing a regulation tackle whilst attempting to do so (and allowing the guy to score) preferable to stopping him? I'm open to explanations! haha Rugby defence is extremely shoddy, and whilst I'd think that leads to more open play and scoring, the distance between the two teams and the penchant for the boot seemingly makes the opposite the case.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

bryce said:
i agree about lowering the number of points for a drop goal but i think that 3 points for a penalty is fair enough because everyone knows the rules and more often than not the player chooses to break them, otherwise everyone will just be going for tries all the time and it will make rugby look like a mess.
I'd hate to see what it'd look like if it's got to become a mess! :p

bryce

International Regular
Son Of Coco said:
League.

The league boys know how to tackle, and as far as rugby having more skill (an old cliche that doesn't really hold merit for mine), I'm continuously seeing Gordon Bray raving on about an inside ball that appears to have come in slow motion compared to the skills on show in league. Then again, maybe they are just two completely different games.

I've never quite understood how going high in a tackle (ala Rugby Union) and having 5 guys palmed off is preferable to going in low and stopping the player. I know you're trying to tie up the ball in rugby, but how is 4-5 guys missing a regulation tackle whilst attempting to do so (and allowing the guy to score) preferable to stopping him? I'm open to explanations! haha Rugby defence is extremely shoddy, and whilst I'd think that leads to more open play and scoring, the distance between the two teams and the penchant for the boot seemingly makes the opposite the case.
don't get me wrong i am a league fan as much as a union one, i just think union is a tactical game more than anything whereas league relies more on physicality(sp?), how often do you see set moves in league, when in union most of the time when you are in possession and defence you have a set play/move which you have been practising over and over again in training and the play/moves are all devised to get the better of the opposition, the more successful side is more often than not the team that executes their tactics best, of course there are going to be more missed tackles in union because in league you basically have 2 walls of defences spreaded all the way across the park which is why it is more of physical game in reference to breaking that wall as well as stopping the player who is normally running straight at you.
again i will remind you i am a league fan :D

Piper

International Captain
I watch both, but i tend to watch more Union, especially if England, SA or NZ are playing, but i also watch League if St. Helens are playin

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Son Of Coco said:
League.

Just the bit about defence...also am I also a big league fan as well mind you.
League have the whole team line of 11 players if you take out the markers, spread across the field. ALso most tackles are gang tackles, making it a bit easier defensively on the individual. Union usually have the forwards tied up in the ruck or maul, with the rest of the forwards on the fringes for the pick and go. This leaves most of the ground to be defended by 6 backs or sometimes 5 if the winger has dropped back as well. The amount of one on one defence and the slide defence used by the union back lines show that these guys are skileed defenders.

An example of Union defence being is good is Wendall Sailor. When Sailor came over to Union a couple of years back, all the big league columnists and whatnot said Wendall would be a Union revelation. He's score a ton of tries, and be the best ever. Why? Coz Union defence is rubbish, they said.
However we have seen that is not the case, and that Union guys are very capable of taking down the man that trampled League defenders to so many spectatular tries.

Thus, I would not call Union defence shoddy. Having played both League as a centre, and Union as a Fly-Half, I find Union defence to be far more difficult due to the speed and openess of the play. I would'nt exactly be calling Union defence shoddy, but taking it that your a League fan, all I can say is...

Let the War of the codes continue. :p

Craig

World Traveller
Scotland is turning into the home of Australian rugby rejects who have a Scotish background.

About a 3rd of the Scotland rugby team seem to be Australians.

Son Of Coco

KennyD said:
Just the bit about defence...also am I also a big league fan as well mind you.
League have the whole team line of 11 players if you take out the markers, spread across the field. ALso most tackles are gang tackles, making it a bit easier defensively on the individual. Union usually have the forwards tied up in the ruck or maul, with the rest of the forwards on the fringes for the pick and go. This leaves most of the ground to be defended by 6 backs or sometimes 5 if the winger has dropped back as well. The amount of one on one defence and the slide defence used by the union back lines show that these guys are skileed defenders.

An example of Union defence being is good is Wendall Sailor. When Sailor came over to Union a couple of years back, all the big league columnists and whatnot said Wendall would be a Union revelation. He's score a ton of tries, and be the best ever. Why? Coz Union defence is rubbish, they said.
However we have seen that is not the case, and that Union guys are very capable of taking down the man that trampled League defenders to so many spectatular tries.

Thus, I would not call Union defence shoddy. Having played both League as a centre, and Union as a Fly-Half, I find Union defence to be far more difficult due to the speed and openess of the play. I would'nt exactly be calling Union defence shoddy, but taking it that your a League fan, all I can say is...

Let the War of the codes continue. :p
haha, fair enough.

I watch the international rugby games when they're on (at a reasonable time) and I just don't see so many tackles being made.....but a lot being missed. I think Wendell had more room to move in league due to the 10 metres set between teams.......but I don't remember him running roughshod over all and sundry!

I actually wasn't referring to the gang tackles that due occur quite frequently in League, but one-on-one defence, I seem to recall seeing a lot of gang tackles in Rugby too though. The backs in League generally tackle pretty well........Geoff Toovey was an excellent example.

One other thing I don't get is when there is a situation where a player has been tackled in Rugby, and everyone piles on top.............why does the next person to get the ball run straight back into the pile of bodies the ball's just left?

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Son Of Coco said:
haha, fair enough.

I watch the international rugby games when they're on (at a reasonable time) and I just don't see so many tackles being made.....but a lot being missed. I think Wendell had more room to move in league due to the 10 metres set between teams.......but I don't remember him running roughshod over all and sundry!

I actually wasn't referring to the gang tackles that due occur quite frequently in League, but one-on-one defence, I seem to recall seeing a lot of gang tackles in Rugby too though. The backs in League generally tackle pretty well........Geoff Toovey was an excellent example.

One other thing I don't get is when there is a situation where a player has been tackled in Rugby, and everyone piles on top.............why does the next person to get the ball run straight back into the pile of bodies the ball's just left?
Ok i read you, and to be true, Rugby misses a hell of a lot more tackles, usally about 40 a game. And man to man, one on one, yes I would say League are better defenders, but in defence of Union, its very hard to know what position in defence you should be. The moves the Union backs use, lines and angles and so on, its rather confusing for defenders. And there is so much space to cover, especialy as nearly always the attack have an overlap.

Also the bit about the ruck being formed and why the player who recieves the ball run straight back into the pile of players? Well I'm not sure that happens that much in Union, usually the next pick and go is usually to the side of the nearby ruck. But sometimes they get tackled into the last ruck formed, but generally, its not that all a common occurence, and I'm sure most players try not to run intot he last ruck formed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Scotland is turning into the home of Australian rugby rejects who have a Scotish background.

About a 3rd of the Scotland rugby team seem to be Australians.
It was the "Kilted Kiwis" a couple of years ago. The Leslie bros, Metcalfe & Laney.

Mind you us English can hardly talk, can't think of the last time we stuck out a squad without the odd Kiwi, Aussie or Saffie in it.