• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpire's Call Won't Take Away a Review Anymore

DriveClub

International Regular
Was it actually ever said that drs was for eliminating howlers

People are against more correct decisions being made. Amazes me tbh.
That's because its too radical a idea for cricket, cricket is the only sport where you get opinions like #badluck #gentlemansgame #spiritofthegame etc.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Yes it's stated often that that is what it's for. I don't agree with it on any level. They are constantly paranoid about taking authority from the umpires. I think they've also become a bit worried about the number of balls from spinners that are hitting the stumps when you take away the protection of a big stride forward.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I honestly find reviews exciting
Indeed, I mean this argument that it's somehow dull, if it's a close call, a big decision not-out or out is really strange. 15 minutes (and it won't be that) of intrigue a day, I'm happy with that.

Great decision this, and long overdue.

harsh.ag

A real time ball tracking technology acting as umpire would lead to a drastic change in the way batsmen play. Lot more bat and lot less pad. Will be a massive disruption. For the better? Maybe.

grecian

A real time ball tracking technology acting as umpire would lead to a drastic change in the way batsmen play. Lot more bat and lot less pad. Will be a massive disruption. For the better? Maybe.

It's already happened with DRS though, lot less dull padding away of the spinners, brings fielders around the bat into play, been it's major plus for me, bigger than the right decisions oddly. Was a boringly negative tactic with no entertainment involved, was never given if you got a stride..

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

I think you make a good point here. It's like giving the benefit of doubt to the batsmen.......gets talked about heaps but no where in the rules does it state such a thing. Who did first state that DRS was there to eliminate the howlers?.......my bet it was a commentator and no one from the ICC.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't mind the decision but I was never too fussed about teams losing reviews.

The ones that irk me are the 'may as well' terrible reviews that happen after 78 overs because you're about to get your reviews back anyway. The change I'd have made is that you start with 2 reviews, and then you get one back 40 overs after you used the last one.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's already happened with DRS though, lot less dull padding away of the spinners, brings fielders around the bat into play, been it's major plus for me, bigger than the right decisions oddly. Was a boringly negative tactic with no entertainment involved, was never given if you got a stride..
Except occasionally when Darrell Hair got bored. I remember one Test where he fired out Jimmy Adams and Curtley Ambrose after a lot of padding away. It was pre-DRS and ridiculous decisions - yet somehow admirable as well.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I have been thinking about this one for awhile and I have mixed feelings. While I like the DRS system, even the umpires call part, I have never enjoyed the fact that this is all about the implicit questioning of the umpires authority. And while I can appreciate when it is close losing a review is hard, but I also believe the whole point of this system was to get rid of the obvious 'howlers' not to 2nd guess the umpire on a few mm that nobody can be certain of, thus if you are guessing at best should you get your review returned?

DriveClub

International Regular
I have been thinking about this one for awhile and I have mixed feelings. While I like the DRS system, even the umpires call part, I have never enjoyed the fact that this is all about the implicit questioning of the umpires authority. And while I can appreciate when it is close losing a review is hard, but I also believe the whole point of this system was to get rid of the obvious 'howlers' not to 2nd guess the umpire on a few mm that nobody can be certain of, thus if you are guessing at best should you get your review returned?
Giving decisions is a very small part of an umpires job, majority of it is supervising the game on ground and making sure everything runs smoothly. I'm very much in favour of moving towards a system where we can completely take that away from the umpires and let them concentrate on the game so that there aren't any comedies that only happens in a cricket match. Like going to lunch when you only need 1 wicket to end the game

harsh.ag

Yeah, I think so. If it is a case of a few mm, as you say, no one should get punished. Umpires don't have anything to lose as such. Don't think any umpire looks at these reviews as undermining their expertise or authority.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's not taking the authority away from the umpires. It's just getting a second opinion from another umpire with a better view. :robot:

grecian

Except occasionally when Darrell Hair got bored. I remember one Test where he fired out Jimmy Adams and Curtley Ambrose after a lot of padding away. It was pre-DRS and ridiculous decisions - yet somehow admirable as well.
Yep, (goes into soapbox mode)I remember the shock to the system when that happened too, Tufnell looked really shocked when he got one of them too. Should be said I don't think Hair was completely alone a few umps had started to give a few, but the difference is marked nowadays. Tuffers often actually gets angry in the comm box when some are given now he'd never have got. Understandable perhaps, but with the massive bats and attacking style of play, flatter pitches, he'd have got some serious tap nowadays at times. He did then on occasions, got really ragged when someone got after him, yet that would have meant more wickets on the boundary. Swings and roundabouts, but I honestly believe without DRS, there'd be plenty of teams just ignoring the spinner altogether nowadays, in many matches. Some might say england do now.....

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So they have done some good things this week. Next week they are going to do something stupid to make up for it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Umpires are universally in favour of it. They get mugged off and embarrassed when clear decisions are given wrong and have big impact on the game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because we already waste hours over those 5 days. Not every game is played in India with 6 million overs of spin per game.
Yes you're right this rule might pose a problem in England (not in June though) where many hours are already lost to rain.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Used to have an old alco umpire in our local league. Would start to get very very thirsty after about 4.45pm.

You pretty much knew as a bowler that if you hit the batsman anywhere on or near the pad and shouted after that time, he'd give it to get himself one step closer to a pint! Great old bloke though.