• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umar Akmal

Flem274*

123/5
Akmal certainly looks a more complete player than most of his team mates. He played superbly under pressure and against one of the best fast bowlers in the business.

Once YK returns the Pakistani middle order will look a lot stronger, with only the openers being question marks.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Akmal certainly looks a more complete player than most of his team mates. He played superbly under pressure and against one of the best fast bowlers in the business.
Absolutely & what impressed me most of all is that if you didn't know, you'd think he was playing his 100th test the way he batted - particularly in the second innings

thierry henry

International Coach
imo he absolutely crapped himself when O'Brien came downwind at him in the first innings at the Basin. He looked awful and was backing away and everything.

I think he might struggle in Australia, although he strikes me as a potential Sehwag, who looks awfully loose (to me) all the time yet never gets out.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Umar Akmal seems to me like a right handed brian lara, their styles are very similar. Lets hope his future turns out like Lara. Also like Lara he is very aggressive and stylish

Xuhaib

International Coach
imo he absolutely crapped himself when O'Brien came downwind at him in the first innings at the Basin. He looked awful and was backing away and everything.

I think he might struggle in Australia, although he strikes me as a potential Sehwag, who looks awfully loose (to me) all the time yet never gets out.
You are judging a 19 yr old who was playing his second test on a sort of pitch which he probably had encountered maximum once or twice in his ahort career. Even Ponting looks like a tail ender when he bats in India on spinning tracks and then to top it off he was made to bat at 3 when he is not even a no 3 for his FC side.

Imo its too early to make any jugement on him.

btw Umer scored 3 hundreds and a 50 in 5 innings during Pak A tour to Australia early this year and he was facing Geeves, Bollinger,Tait,McKay and Krejza.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am one of those who laments the declining bowling standards around the world in this decade and for me watching the Pakistani youngsters was a delightful experience. Aamer has so much potential as does the off spinner Ajmal though I suspect he may get a swollen head like Harbhajan and decline if not careful. Add Asif and Gul and Pakistan has the attack I would most like to see my favourite batsmen pitted against.

As I was getting up early mornings to watch Pakistan play New Zealand, basically to see Aamer and Ajmal, I got a very pleasant bonus in the form of Umar Akmal. He is real talent. Yes it is early days but their is absolutely no doubting his tremendous and exciting potential. He and his brother are such a refreshing change to see and hear because of their 'earthiness' completely unspoilt by the glamour of the stardom that cricket brings. A refreshing change from the spoilt stars of our region, particularly from the sub continent.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
You are judging a 19 yr old who was playing his second test on a sort of pitch which he probably had encountered maximum once or twice in his ahort career. Even Ponting looks like a tail ender when he bats in India on spinning tracks and then to top it off he was made to bat at 3 when he is not even a no 3 for his FC side.

btw Umer scored 3 hundreds and a 50 in 5 innings during Pak A tour to Australia early this year and he was facing Geeves, Bollinger,Tait,McKay and Krejza.
Continued his streak into the ODI's i think in Dubai or SL (don't remember).

The most important thing is that he has a range of aggressive shots. He is a good slog sweeper/cutter/driver.......didn't see him pull or hook that much just yet....But certainly has a good range of strokes.

Most importantly has a good brain.........

In the Basin when Vettori came to bowl.....He took him for a four and a six in the first over he faced....Vettori moved long off to the boundary.......come next over Umar charged down and got it over the fielder against Vettori..........next bowl Vettori moved long off up....and tempted Umar to charge down again....Vettori was so sure that Umar will charge down....that he went flat and short outside off.......what does Umar do....rock back on back foot and cut him behind point for four...................

This little battle against one of the smartest spinners in the world was easily won by Umar. To me he has a cricketing brain...and thats the most important thing.

I pray for a long successful career for this boy.

He is a very exciting young talent. I just hope that the rest of the line-up actually starts performing and takes away some of the pressure from the young man's shoulders.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

:laugh:.

...But otherwise you are on point on young Akmal ATS i'd say

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Akmal still has potential for improvement in the technical department.
Like most Pakistani batsmen, he is not at his best to outgoing deliveries, bounce and seam, but the good thing about him is he manages to still preserve his wicket.
In the semi final against NZ which I saw from ball 1, he was struggling against Butler but still managed to score a 50. Even in the second test, he was struggling but still managed a 40 odd. Says a lot about his grit and fighting skills.
Comparision with Duminy is a bit unfair, Duminy is a more complete batsman, and Akmal is a lot younger too

Xuhaib

International Coach
Akmal still has potential for improvement in the technical department.
Like most Pakistani batsmen, he is not at his best to outgoing deliveries, bounce and seam, but the good thing about him is he manages to still preserve his wicket.
In the semi final against NZ which I saw from ball 1, he was struggling against Butler but still managed to score a 50. Even in the second test, he was struggling but still managed a 40 odd. Says a lot about his grit and fighting skills.
Comparision with Duminy is a bit unfair, Duminy is a more complete batsman, and Akmal is a lot younger too
which modern day batsman is good against seam and swing?. This year's Ashes was very fascinating for me the moment bowler started getting help from the conditions or the pitch the wickets started falling in heaps. Struass was the only batsman who looked good against good bowling.

Agreed Umer is technically not perfect but he seems to be naturally very talented a lot of his progress will depend on how team management and the board handles him

Zinzan

Old dig. How we were all fooled, particular about his fight and how he put a high-price on his wicket... perhaps with the exception of TH.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, Khatmal's career has gone down the drain.

All the khatmal brothers seem to have mental issues.

If I were to point out any particular event after which his slide began it would probably be post Sydney 2010 where his elder brother kakmal lost Pakistan the test match singlehandedly and then when he was rightly criticized and there were calls to kick him out of the side Umar Khatmal had the cheek to say that he wouldn't play if his brother was kicked out.

_Ed_

Kind of sad to read this thread in hindsight. That debut ton really was amazing to watch.

Flem274*

123/5
morgie or someone made a massive young batsman poll around the time this thread was made and iirc it was a three horse race between umar akmal, virat kohli and phil hughes.

time....