• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 or Cricket Max?

Which form is better to you?

• Cricket Max

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Twenty20

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • breed of Max and 20/20

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Scaly piscine said:
As for the rules for Twenty20 ties it varies. For some knockout stages it'll be a bowlout, for league structures and series it's usually just kept as a tie. Sometimes the game is awarded according to something like whoever scored the most runs in the first 6 overs.
guess what? ODI now has the same tie rule....if its a tie in thw knockout stages its bowl out (ie. semi finals and finals of the world cup and champions trophy)

R_D

International Debutant
Raghav said:
Cricket Max is better
Hey Raghav just wondering about your signature... you support 2 teams... NZ and India's oppositions.
Raghav sounds like an indian name..... Parents given you scars for life ? :p

oh wait... sorry might be fiji indian ?... that would explain everything.
just curious mate.. thats all.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
bowl-out.....What you guys think about it being used in the world cup semi-finals and final? do you think ODI shouldnt steal it from 20/20....but then what happens if theres a tie on day in the world cup final like like '99 world cup semi-final.....just say its a tie?(that be gay) how about extra overs for ODI's and twenty gets its bowl-out.....it could be like if its a tie each team gets 5 extra overs and who evers wins from there...oh what you guys think about Pro40?should ODI's be played overs per innings to eliminate the slow middle overs?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LA ICE-E said:
guess what? ODI now has the same tie rule....if its a tie in thw knockout stages its bowl out (ie. semi finals and finals of the world cup and champions trophy)
I think it's pretty much always had some form of rule in terms of a tie - the bowl out is NOT a new thing that's come in with Twenty20.

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cricket's cricket as long as my team are playing and we're doing well what more can I ask for:)

LA ICE-E said:
two short forms of cricket and ones already defunct but which idea is better?
Cricket Max
* Each side bats two innings of a maximum of 10 overs each.
* Batsmen may not be out from a no ball as usual, and also the next ball bowled after a no ball. This is intended to encourage aggressive batting on the "free hit" ball.
* Wides score 2 extras instead of 1.
* Bowlers may not bowl more than 4 overs per match. These may be distributed between the two innings in any way.
* The field is marked with trapezoidal "Max" zones, one at each end of the field, beginning 60 metres from the striker's wicket, where the trapezoid is 40 metres wide, and extending to the boundary, where the trapezoid is 50 metres wide. Any ball hit into the Max zone doubles the number of runs scored from that ball, whether by running between the wickets, or a boundary four or six. Fielders may not be in the Max zone as the ball is bowled. Only the Max zone in front of the striker is valid for all these rules.

Twenty20
* 20 over ininngs per team.
* Should a bowler deliver a no ball by overstepping the popping crease, it costs 2 runs and his next delivery is designated a free-hit, from which the batsman can only be dismissed through a run out, as is the case for the original "no ball".

* Bowlers may bowl a maximum of only 4 overs per innings.

* Umpires may award 5-run penalty runs at their discretion if they believe either team is wasting time.

* If the fielding team do not start to bowl their 20th over within 75 minutes, the batting side is credited an extra 6 runs for every whole over bowled after the 75 minute mark, the umpire may add more time to this, if at his discretion the fielding team is wasting time.

* The following fielding restrictions apply:
o No more than 5 fielders can be on the leg side at any time.
o During the first 6 overs, a maximum of 2 fielders can be outside the fielding circle.
o After the first 6 overs, a maximum of 5 fielders can be outside the fielding circle.

* If the match ends with the scores tied and there must be a winner, the tie is broken with a bowl-out (similar to a penalty shootout in football), with 5 bowlers from each side delivering 2 balls each at an unguarded wicket. If the number of wickets is equal after the first 10 balls per side, the bowling continues and is decided by sudden death.

or better yet another mix?

*two 10 over inning per team
* 2 runs + free hit rule for no balls and wides
*4 maxium overs for bowler
* tie = bowl-out
*time relating rules from 20/20

which ones better? a 2 inning short form or a 1 innings short form?
(dont really want another form but just curious)
U're an agent from baseball circles whose purpose is just to ruin the sport of cricket.Cricket should stay as it is right now even if its not good enough to attract people from associate & other countries.If u think cricket is not & atractive in its current forms,better start watching baseball because most crcket fans won't agree to americanise cricket.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Saurav Ganguly said:
U're an agent from baseball circles whose purpose is just to ruin the sport of cricket.Cricket should stay as it is right now even if its not good enough to attract people from associate & other countries.If u think cricket is not & atractive in its current forms,better start watching baseball because most crcket fans won't agree to americanise cricket.
you must be tripping....ah whatever you want its just not happening that way...see no game stays the same and cricket didn't either....it has changed long way before its in this form....if you dont like change then may be you should be bowling underhand playing cricket because 1st it used to be underhand until overhand came....there's always going to changes but im just thinking about whats better for it...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
marc71178 said:
I think it's pretty much always had some form of rule in terms of a tie - the bowl out is NOT a new thing that's come in with Twenty20.
yea i know but it wasn't ODI because if its a tie it used to be a tie....recall semi-final aussies and south africa...aussies went to the final because of better run rate....

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Jono said:
It should be 5 out all out in 20/20 cricket.
no because thats just shortening cricket but not giving anything new....whats next 5 over cricket with 1 wicket....atleast 20/20 gives the batsmen the freedom to hit...(losing10 wickets in 20 overs is pretty hard).....but im just thinking how its different from ODIs

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
R_D said:
Hey Raghav just wondering about your signature... you support 2 teams... NZ and India's oppositions.
Raghav sounds like an indian name..... Parents given you scars for life ? :p

oh wait... sorry might be fiji indian ?... that would explain everything.
just curious mate.. thats all.

Hi...Let me explain why I dislike Indian cricket team. I am an Indian and I love my country to the heart except Indian Cricket Team. I started watching cricket when I am 9 yrs old. I supported Indian cricket team till the match fixing scandal. I used to miss my classes and many things to watch an Indian. I am a die hard Ajay Jadeja Fan. I adore him. Really, Indian cricket was llike everything to me. But When the max fixing scandal broke out, I came to know that all the matches that I watched were already fixed before. I am so hurt on hearing the news that Jadeja also played a part, I couldn't digest. I am also against cricket politics that Indian cricket board plays. This is just making the Indian fans fool...Cant the board find a fit and capable 11 to beat world in a country which has got 2nd rank in highest populated countries.

The Indian cricket board still plays lot of politics during the selection process.

And the reason why I love NZ is that I am an allrounder and I love a team with many allrounders and it is NZ. I also like the players vettori, Fleming, Cairns , astle....

I am sorrt if I hurt anyone with these comments

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Hopefully nobody minds the bump, but I've been watching the Cricket Max games on Sky all week (they are replaying them in tribute to Martin Crowe, for anyone not in NZ).

I've got no doubt the nostalgia of seeing all the old players/coverage/grounds etc is playing into my enjoyment, but damn it was a pretty decent format.

The two ten over innings allows more ebb and flow than one 20 over innings ... every over seems more important, and it allows batsman a double chance ... which basically gives you more bang for your buck, I think. I'd rather watch batsmen for the majority of the overs rather than bowlers trying not to get bowled out.

There's the tactics of what innings you bowl your bowlers in (genuinely a tactic due to both innings featuring the same batsmen) and the defence and use of the max zone is great too. I love the emphasis on straight hitting - although a couple of games I've watched it's seemed difficult due to a bouncy pitch, and not exploited as much as it could have been.

I think it was an original rule that got changed that a batsman couldn't get caught in the max zone? That's one rule I'd have kept.

The original four stumps/no lbws was a good one to get rid of, though, I'd say.

But anyway, put me down as definitely being in team Cricket Max!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been watching some of those as well. Delightfully retro, but yeah, also a far more enjoyable format than I initially gave it credit for.

I would say now that I definitely prefer it to T20.

How good was Kerry Walmsley's catch?!

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As I recall the max zones could cause some crazy swings in fortunes - teams slapping 40-50 runs in an over when bowlers got it wrong. On the plus side it meant that teams were almost never completely out of the contest (a bit like in baseball).

_Ed_

I've been enjoying watching the fielders guarding the Max zones. There was some excellent work done there (and some appalling).

_Ed_

From the games I've seen, Llorne Howell and Matthew Walker appear to have been gods of the format.