• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Troughiest Troughs

Bijed

International Regular
Felt only right that there should be a Yang to the Peakiest Peaks thread's Yin.

Same concept as that thread, only negative: the worst (reasonably extended) runs of form you can think of - either across formats, or limited to just one and can apply to bowlers as well as batsmen.

There'll be far troughier instances than this I'm sure, but Nasser Hussain going ~18 months or so in tests with just 1 half-century (51) is the kind of thing I'm after

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ishant Sharma's entire career. (tbf he had a bit of recovery towards the end). Mohammed Sami's career worth a call out.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Marvan Attapattu's single run in his first six Test innings (0,0,0,1,0,0)

Mohinder Amarnath's disappointing mid career sequence a few years earlier (4,7,0,0,1,0,0,0)

in the context of which Ken Rutherford's start (0,0,4,0,2, 1 and 5) a couple of years after Amarnath's run doesn't look quite so bad

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Highlight of the video of course was the scorecard bloke back late after smoko.

morgieb

I think Mark Taylor went about 20 innings or something without hitting a 50.

mr_mister

Man Rutherford and Attapattu were lucky their selectors had faith in them

Madinson will never get the chance to rectify his shocking start to his test career

mr_mister

Mark Waugh's 4 ducks in a row in SL in '92 should have probably meant he wasn't retained for the Windies tour down here a few months later, but he was and scored a fifty in the first test and then a ton in the second

his next tour to SL in '99 wasn't much better, scoring 6, 0, 10 and 13.

Mark then scored 100 in the opening test against Pak at the Gabba in '99, but then followed that with 5, 0, 0, 5 and 8 before a couple of decent starts and a fifty against India to start and end the summer with the perception of 'form', bookending and kind of smothering the horror trot of scores in the middle

I feel like Mark Waugh's whole test career was full of horrible troughs followed by a brief purple patch, usually including an effortless ton, often in tough conditions against hard bowlers to show the selectors he did have what it takes to score runs against the very best. He was just so inconsistent

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Agarkar had this run of like half a dozen ducks against Australia and the crowds actually cheered when he finally got a run.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Man Rutherford and Attapattu were lucky their selectors had faith in them
Actually, I think in Rutherford's case they picked him too early against a ruthless WI team (in WI, no less) and did some permanent damage to his international career. The bloke was only 20 at the time.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Lahiru Thirimanne's entire Test career.

Not really a trough but Kohli's ICC event KO career made for interesting reading at last count.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It pains me to say this, but late career Ricky Ponting surely counts. He was badly out of touch for most of his last couple of years in international cricket, I hoped his strong 2011-12 summer would be a career revival but sadly is wasn't to be

Burgey

Yeah, it became a case of hoping he’d bat well despite the evidence, rather than expecting him to because of it.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Taylor's run before the 1997 Ashes. Was basically in the side because he was captain..no 50's in 18 months or something right?

OverratedSanity

Late career declines aren't really what this thread should be about. Those declines happen to everyone. Troughs in the middle of a career where a player goes through a terrible patch in what should be his prime (or close to it) are much more interesting.

Sachin post 2011 is a natural decline which happens to literally every batsman. Sachin 03-06 when he was getting knocked on his arse by Asif and being called "Endulkar", now that's a proper trough.